Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 08:28 AM

4 posts, read 14,779 times

Advertisements

I know we have spanish moss here in Arkansas...somewhere. Where can I find it, why don't we have it in Little Rock, and if I get some, will it survive in Little Rock?

Do you feel Arkansas is less of a southern state because it doesn't have a ton of spanish moss?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 08:51 AM

731 posts, read 1,367,254 times
Spanish Moss is found mostly in areas near the gulf. Houston has a lot of Spanish moss.

It hangs in trees. I don't think it will survive if you put it up in a tree. It will probably dry up & blow away in LR.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:02 PM

697 posts, read 1,774,680 times
You may be able to buy it somewhere in Little Rock, but I don't think the conditions are right here. Although we're near the river, I don't think the overall climate (it needs a steady warm, high humidity environment- Little Rock's weather is very inconsistent) would be a good fit for spanish moss. I certainly don't think it's presence or absence has anything to do with how much of a "southern state" Arkansas is.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:33 PM

1 posts, read 8,043 times
The Spanish Moss (Usneoides) is not commonly available from nurseries, garden stores and other plant dealers and distributors. It can be propagated by cuttings, seed. It has a moderate ability to spread through seed production and the seedlings have medium vigor. Note that cold stratification is not required for seed germination and the plant cannot survive exposure to temperatures below 22°F. has none tolerance to drought and restricted water conditions.

Affordable Health Insurance PA | Senior Health Insurance of Pennsylvania

Old 09-18-2010, 08:35 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,378,164 times
There are several places in the Ouachita Mountains where "moss" hangs from trees but it isn't near as "robust" as true Spanish Moss.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:18 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexar View Post
I know we have spanish moss here in Arkansas...somewhere. Where can I find it, why don't we have it in Little Rock, and if I get some, will it survive in Little Rock?

Do you feel Arkansas is less of a southern state because it doesn't have a ton of spanish moss?
Nope, we got kudzu.

Lotsa kudzu.

I'll give you all you want to take to Little Rock.

Might be kind of a trip to see the Metropolitan Tower all covered in kudzu.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:48 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,378,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
Nope, we got kudzu.

Lotsa kudzu.

I'll give you all you want to take to Little Rock.

Might be kind of a trip to see the Metropolitan Tower all covered in kudzu.
Hey RogMar, I left kudzu in Malvern and don't need it here. I set it out on a badly eroding bank (as the federal government did in the 1930s) knowing it would spread if given a chance. I kept it under control while we lived there, but the people who bought the place kinda jacked me around in the process so I didn't tell them about it. I,m sure, by now it has taken over the whole neighborhood. I haven't been back, but I may drive by, look at the wilderness and .

Old 09-20-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
Hey RogMar, I left kudzu in Malvern and don't need it here. I set it out on a badly eroding bank (as the federal government did in the 1930s) knowing it would spread if given a chance. I kept it under control while we lived there, but the people who bought the place kinda jacked me around in the process so I didn't tell them about it. I,m sure, by now it has taken over the whole neighborhood. I haven't been back, but I may drive by, look at the wilderness and .
I was in church about a month ago, Slim, and the minister was talking about building a hut in the desert, and it was covered with vines in a day. I said, "They had kudzu in biblical times?"

I know there is great research going on now to find a specific herbicide for it.

Pretty amazing stuff.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:18 PM

111 posts, read 390,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
I was in church about a month ago, Slim, and the minister was talking about building a hut in the desert, and it was covered with vines in a day. I said, "They had kudzu in biblical times?"

I know there is great research going on now to find a specific herbicide for it.

Pretty amazing stuff.
Herbicide?

If somebody could figure out how to run a car on it Helena-West Helena would be the new Dubai.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthog61 View Post
Herbicide?

If somebody could figure out how to run a car on it Helena-West Helena would be the new Dubai.
Actually, there's a guy in TN who has been doing that.

Kudzu Ethanol Plant Startup in Tennesee, Cows Will Love It | Chemically Green

However, I have seen over the last 5 years a number of people that have come up with great innovations, including a guy outside of Jonesboro that converted his old Buick or Olds, or whatever, to run on propane and get 100 miles to the gallon.

He invited the station and engineers to review it, it was confirmed, he planned to put it in production, then "poof", not another word.

Several other inventions down here come to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas