Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 03:50 AM

54 posts, read 227,849 times

Advertisements

hi, I may be relocated to ark soon. I dont know the name of the town yet, i'll find that out but its a nuclear plant. (work) any info about possible area? cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 06:02 AM

10 posts, read 50,486 times
Smile not much info to go on

now Arkansas is beautiful, but diverse in climate and peolple. It also has some dry counties no lotteries, no gaming and small towns generally. Try to get near a border town for more interesting things to do, if you know what i mean. I live in western Arkansas friendly people, and well caucasion. Fayetteville is very cosmopolitian, wonderful town. Fort Smith is a little rougher, but is improving. (and even traffic jams some times) and near all the vices of Oklahoma, if you want to call it that, Earstern Arkansas is kind of Mississippi west, Black population, and I dont live there so I can't say much. I see no reason to live in Centeral Arkansas. other than its pretty but all of Ark is pretty . I came friom California (LA) and never want to go back to live. My early morning friends are deer and fawns out side my kitchen window, and incredibly beautiful birds of all colors my neigbors are doctors and friendly folks too.
Good luck in the Natural State!

Last edited by thomas3333; 07-10-2007 at 06:05 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 07-10-2007, 09:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas3333 View Post
now Arkansas is beautiful, but diverse in climate and peolple. It also has some dry counties no lotteries, no gaming and small towns generally. Try to get near a border town for more interesting things to do, if you know what i mean. I live in western Arkansas friendly people, and well caucasion. Fayetteville is very cosmopolitian, wonderful town. Fort Smith is a little rougher, but is improving. (and even traffic jams some times) and near all the vices of Oklahoma, if you want to call it that, Earstern Arkansas is kind of Mississippi west, Black population, and I dont live there so I can't say much. I see no reason to live in Centeral Arkansas. other than its pretty but all of Ark is pretty . I came friom California (LA) and never want to go back to live. My early morning friends are deer and fawns out side my kitchen window, and incredibly beautiful birds of all colors my neigbors are doctors and friendly folks too.
Good luck in the Natural State!
Geez thomas, from all we are reading here the last few days, how could you have left Calif and not returned? Of course I am being a smart A## by my comments. I was born in LA, we lived in Calif for 40 years, all over the state. Everyone we know, relatives and friends have left Calif or would if they could. Well not everyone, some still love the state and it does have lots of positives, but no way in H@LL would we go back. We go for visits every couple of years, that is it.

NMnita

Old 07-10-2007, 10:37 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,266,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catherine777 View Post
hi, I may be relocated to ark soon. I dont know the name of the town yet, i'll find that out but its a nuclear plant. (work) any info about possible area? cat
The only nuclear plant I am aware of is in Russellville (actually London, I think)......and you're in my country then! You'll find any number of my raves on this forum about the river valley area and Russellville in particular - if this is indeed where you are headed for, please let me know and I'll help all I can!

Old 07-10-2007, 10:47 AM

24 posts, read 74,874 times
[quote=Sam I Am;1039110]The only nuclear plant I am aware of is in Russellville (actually London, I think)......and you're in my country then!

Russelville - WHATABURGER!!! right?

Old 07-10-2007, 10:50 AM

[quote=Spence&Kim;1039199]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
The only nuclear plant I am aware of is in Russellville (actually London, I think)......and you're in my country then!

Russelville - WHATABURGER!!! right?
Well, is there anywhere else??? Of course! The other white meat!

Old 07-12-2007, 05:19 AM

yes it is russellville. so if you can get back to me that would be great. thank you cat.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catherine777 View Post
yes it is russellville. so if you can get back to me that would be great. thank you cat.

I live smack-dab in the center of Russellville, which I consider to be a wonderful town. The nuclear plant is maybe 5 miles from the epicenter of R'ville, actually in London. Rent is relatively cheap, and Pope County consistently has some of the best home prices in the state. I see this changing with the huge growth R'ville has experienced in the past 15 years.

The nuclear plant is one of the larger employers and is located on Hwy. 64 just west of Russellville. If you want rural living you can continue west and be in the "country" in a matter of minutes. There's also a nice area called Mill Creek out that way where the homes sit on land that varies from an acre on up. We have two Kroger stores and at least 3 other groceries that I can think of off the top of my head - Walgreens, Wally World, Starbucks, lots of good dining in Russellville and Dardanelle, Lowe's, Hobby Lobby - there's an IHOP and Target going in just off I-40. Arkansas Tech is here, a 4 year college.

I consider the cost of living to be excellent here and wouldn't want to be anywhere else. The schools are great - the special needs department could use a little buffing up, but they are very safe. Most of the kids are involved in some sport or another.

The downtown area has undergone renovation and is now centered around the old train depot, where there are art walks on the first Friday of every month, farmer's market early in the week, and lots of specialty shops. Lots of parades and holidays. It IS a dry county but there are several private clubs in the area - the closest liquor store is 20 miles away.

Russellville sits on I-40 - it's a little over an hour to Little Rock. Mt. Magazine, Petit Jean State Park, Lake Dardanelle - all are close. The lake is good for fishing and you'll see some skiing going on....for swimming, lots of people go up to Long Pool, which is maybe a 15 minute drive? Our price of gasoline is usually a dime or so cheaper than the rest of the area.

This is not a high brow town. There's a good medical system in place, but I'd go to Little Rock for anything too specialized or for extended treatment or hospital stays. St. Mary's is known as St. Murders or Death Central. I'm sure they have a good staff for the basics....if you need something closer, Conway is about 40 minutes away and has an excellent medical system.

City water is cheap - gas is relatively cheap - electric is electric all over. Trash service is not provided by the city, you contract with an independent. CenturyTel is the only phone company and you get what you get - they're much better than they used to be. They have high speed DSL or you can go to cable i-net.

Most of the people here have been here forever, but with Tyson's and the nuclear plant and ConAgra you will have employee transplants. Many people are looking at this area to retire since the cost of living is low and the quality of living is good.

If you have any specific questions, please let me know - if you need a realtor, I know a great one.

Good luck, and welcome to the river valley!

Old 07-12-2007, 10:15 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
I live smack-dab in the center of Russellville, which I consider to be a wonderful town. The nuclear plant is maybe 5 miles from the epicenter of R'ville, actually in London. Rent is relatively cheap, and Pope County consistently has some of the best home prices in the state. I see this changing with the huge growth R'ville has experienced in the past 15 years.

The nuclear plant is one of the larger employers and is located on Hwy. 64 just west of Russellville. If you want rural living you can continue west and be in the "country" in a matter of minutes. There's also a nice area called Mill Creek out that way where the homes sit on land that varies from an acre on up. We have two Kroger stores and at least 3 other groceries that I can think of off the top of my head - Walgreens, Wally World, Starbucks, lots of good dining in Russellville and Dardanelle, Lowe's, Hobby Lobby - there's an IHOP and Target going in just off I-40. Arkansas Tech is here, a 4 year college.

I consider the cost of living to be excellent here and wouldn't want to be anywhere else. The schools are great - the special needs department could use a little buffing up, but they are very safe. Most of the kids are involved in some sport or another.

The downtown area has undergone renovation and is now centered around the old train depot, where there are art walks on the first Friday of every month, farmer's market early in the week, and lots of specialty shops. Lots of parades and holidays. It IS a dry county but there are several private clubs in the area - the closest liquor store is 20 miles away.

Russellville sits on I-40 - it's a little over an hour to Little Rock. Mt. Magazine, Petit Jean State Park, Lake Dardanelle - all are close. The lake is good for fishing and you'll see some skiing going on....for swimming, lots of people go up to Long Pool, which is maybe a 15 minute drive? Our price of gasoline is usually a dime or so cheaper than the rest of the area.

This is not a high brow town. There's a good medical system in place, but I'd go to Little Rock for anything too specialized or for extended treatment or hospital stays. St. Mary's is known as St. Murders or Death Central. I'm sure they have a good staff for the basics....if you need something closer, Conway is about 40 minutes away and has an excellent medical system.

City water is cheap - gas is relatively cheap - electric is electric all over. Trash service is not provided by the city, you contract with an independent. CenturyTel is the only phone company and you get what you get - they're much better than they used to be. They have high speed DSL or you can go to cable i-net.

Most of the people here have been here forever, but with Tyson's and the nuclear plant and ConAgra you will have employee transplants. Many people are looking at this area to retire since the cost of living is low and the quality of living is good.

If you have any specific questions, please let me know - if you need a realtor, I know a great one.

Good luck, and welcome to the river valley!
I can varify the realtor is great!!!!

Nita

Old 07-13-2007, 04:21 AM

thank you it sounds perfect. One thing is do people mind people from the north? I ask this because I did run into this in Texas. I do have a boston accent. I don't mind the area being dry, how are the churches, is there a wide variety? what about diversity? What is the temp like in the summer and winter weather? I will check things out on line but if the realtor has a web site that would be great. Any thing has to be better than the cost of living in MA. thanks again. Cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas