Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 06:22 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,266,592 times

Advertisements

Well, it's sort of a chain, I think......the ones in Russellville were the town's only claim to fame for a while....made mostly with meat, mustard, lettuce, pickles, cheese if you want it - the Feltner's Whattaburger here has great fries and shakes....it's better than a Krystal or White Castle, larger, like a real HB...but like Spence and Kim said, it's a 99 cent heart attack. In R'ville you find EVERYONE at Whattaburger, unless they are hanging out at the PDQ gas stations in town...that's where the mayor and all the old men meet every morning on Main St. Yet another thing I love about small rural towns - you can get gasoline, a cup of coffee, and take care of 90% of the business day before 8:00!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 07:08 PM

26 posts, read 74,349 times
Default Whataburger?

Hey, what's wrong with Krystals? I waited and waited for someone to put one here in Arlington, and they finally did! I used to stockpile those when I went through Vicksburg Ms. on the way to Dallas-it was the last chance to get one. I would get them home 6 hrs. later and freeze them to eat later. Krispy Kremes were the next thing I missed back in Ms. We got one of those, also, and now all I need is a place to find green peanuts to boil. People here just eat them roasted-I like em boiled! Give me a Krstal anyday! Oh yeah, where is Russellville-isit close to Harrisson?

Old 07-10-2007, 08:33 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,653,285 times
Wadda Burger??? Never heard of it, going to have to try it in August... Is it better than Nations Giant Burger???

Old 07-10-2007, 08:48 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Wadda Burger??? Never heard of it, going to have to try it in August... Is it better than Nations Giant Burger???
Just don't expect it to compare with In and Out>>>

Old 07-11-2007, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatwopugs View Post
Hey, what's wrong with Krystals? I waited and waited for someone to put one here in Arlington, and they finally did! I used to stockpile those when I went through Vicksburg Ms. on the way to Dallas-it was the last chance to get one. I would get them home 6 hrs. later and freeze them to eat later. Krispy Kremes were the next thing I missed back in Ms. We got one of those, also, and now all I need is a place to find green peanuts to boil. People here just eat them roasted-I like em boiled! Give me a Krstal anyday! Oh yeah, where is Russellville-isit close to Harrisson?

LOVE a good Krystal - but I don't think there are any more in the state since the one in Forrest City went out of business. I wanted to wear a black armband and go into sackcloth and ashes but thought that might make me a hamburger drama queen! My folks are in Madison, Mississippi, now - and I will make the stop in Vicksburg, too...my poor New Jersey husband thought I'd taken leave of my senses about insisting on Krystals, but now he's as addicted as I am (and my little heart is thump-thumping just thinking about them...)

Mama2pugs, we have green peanuts just around the corner from me at a little market.....you PM me your address and I'll send you some, courtesy of the river valley!

R'ville is not close to Harrison, unfortunately...we're sorta out here by our lonesome, halfway between Ft. Smith and Little Rock. No Krispy Kreme here - no Shipley's. Very sad. We're getting an IHOP, does that count? And a Target, and we just got Starbucks. We're about to get too city-fied for my taste!

Don't know about In and Outs or Nations...as a poster in a different thread pointed out, we're kind of backward in this state....and apparently trying to keep it that way....'cause we like it....

Old 07-11-2007, 08:46 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
LOVE a good Krystal - but I don't think there are any more in the state since the one in Forrest City went out of business. I wanted to wear a black armband and go into sackcloth and ashes but thought that might make me a hamburger drama queen! My folks are in Madison, Mississippi, now - and I will make the stop in Vicksburg, too...my poor New Jersey husband thought I'd taken leave of my senses about insisting on Krystals, but now he's as addicted as I am (and my little heart is thump-thumping just thinking about them...)

Mama2pugs, we have green peanuts just around the corner from me at a little market.....you PM me your address and I'll send you some, courtesy of the river valley!

R'ville is not close to Harrison, unfortunately...we're sorta out here by our lonesome, halfway between Ft. Smith and Little Rock. No Krispy Kreme here - no Shipley's. Very sad. We're getting an IHOP, does that count? And a Target, and we just got Starbucks. We're about to get too city-fied for my taste!

Don't know about In and Outs or Nations...as a poster in a different thread pointed out, we're kind of backward in this state....and apparently trying to keep it that way....'cause we like it....
no Krispy Kreme makes you special. 2 here in our area went out of business. Way to greasy for us; In and Out, only in the west; it was started in the 50s in a small town east of LA> I don't know how many they have now, but have spread to AZ and NV: consistantly rated as one of the best 10 or 20 hamburger chains in the country. About a month or so ago Wall Street Journel rated them in the top 10. That's pretty good for a cheapo burger.

your getting an IHOP plus a Target puts you way ahead of us. We don't even have Burger King, but we do have Micky Ds and a few others. Of course if you want to open a new food place here be sure to think SouthWestern or Mexican, we only have a 50 right now.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:52 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,743,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence&Kim View Post
This thread is actually an offshoot from another discussion. A poster, lets just call him "mountain-william 59+1" posted a longwhinded negative rant on what he thought was wrong with this state and I wanted to give everyone here the chance to throw in their 2 cents worth about what they love about this state. So please, I invite you not to respond to my thoughts, thair just my opinion, but to add your own thoughts, opinions attitudes, ect towards this state. Just keep it on a positive note.

We're Arkansans. We have been so for generations. Our fathers we're proud to be here, and for many their fathers before them. They taught us how to fish, and how to hunt and most importantly why it's more than a reason to kill something.

We learned how to stand up for what we believe in and to respect others for doing the same.

We learned young what a work ethic is, no matter if we worked on a farm, chicken ranch, fast food restaurant or grocery store. We are an example of the backbone that built this country. And if you don't think we've got the smarts to go along with the hard work, just think of the last time you bought your day-to-day essentials at a store other than Wally World or at least a model of what Sam Walton created from his simple 5 and 10. The family of that "dumb Arkansan" is still laughing all the way to the bank.

Other "Dumb Arkansans" make thousands of dollars every year convincing tourists to pay good money to dig around in the dirt hunting for diamonds. Others make good money selling empty milk jugs to even more tourists so they can bring home "authentic spring water"

We salute the flag and remember those who worked a lot harder and sacrificed a whole lot more than we did so that we have the privelage to wave that banner proudly.

We know our neighbors and their kids and we all watch out for one another.

We wave to other cars as we pass on a country highway, even if we don't know the driver. And when a new face moves into the neighborhood we say "hello" and "welcome" with a peach cobbler.

We consume catfish, and okra, and sweet tea by the gallon. And nobody elses' fried chicken nor biscuits can stand up to the way momma makes 'em.

We are not politically correct, nor do we appologize for that.

We say things like "y'all" and "fixin" and "over yonder". We don't worry about the way they sound to others, we know what we mean.

Our children say things like, "yes M'am" and "Sir." And we also know what that means. A southern draw may sound like the mark of a dumb hick to some, but it can sure make a boy homesick when he's been away for a while.

A handshake is as solid as a signed contract.

We have provided fodder for the likes of Jeff Foxworthy, Cleatus T. Judd, Jerry Clower, and Larry the Cable Guy. Material that has made the rest of the world laugh, but not nearly as hard as we can laugh at ourselves.

"Hell Yeah" means just what it means.

When it gets too hot, we head to the swimmin hole, or we go play out on the lake, or just take a nice long float trip down a river with water cool enough to chill down the six-pack tied to our tube.

We are the buckle of the bible belt. Going to church on Sunday is not just for worship, but to reconnect with our community after a long week of work. And because of this we know how to trust each other. We leave our front door unlocked at night. We go to Wal-Mart and leave the keyes in our car. We pump our gas THEN we go in and pay for it. And yes, if our county elders choose to keep things dry we have a little Friday night tradition. It's called a b-e-e-r-r-u-n.

We raise a little hell from time to time.

We meet our buddies on an old dirt road, pop a few tops, and talk about the good 'ol days while counting fireflies on a warm summer night.

We still drive our girls out to the lake and watch the submarine races. (That's going parkin' for those who just don't know). Or we drive up to a mountain top lookout just to watch the sunset over a dense patchwork of green.

We are what country songs are written about.

We know where the bad parts of town are and do our best to stay away from there. We know there are some parts of the state that just plain suck, so guess what? We just don't hang out there.

We know about familes that are dirt-floor-poor that are closer to each other and know how to get more out of life than other families living in the lap of luxury that barely speak to each other.

We don't mind the outsiders. If you've come here to work and have got a strong back we can use ya'. We pay our own way and expect everyone else to. We welcome anyone who is lucky enough to have to opportunity to come and enjoy our beautiful state and all it has to offer. We just hope you can enjoy our home for what it is rather than bitchin` about all the things it aint. If we seem to be just a little on the shorter side with someone whose not from these parts, it's usually because they come in with a lousy attitude towards the way things are and want to change them to the way THEY think things should be. And all I can say is that if you have a particular problem with the way things are down here then maybe this isn't place for you after all and you should go back to the greener grass on your side rather than pissin' on ours.

I wasn't born in this state, I don't currently live in this state but I was raised here and the values I gained from the time my family spent here have taken me a long way in life and I'm currently working very hard to return to the only place I've ever called home. I just hope I can get back before this place gets overrun with a bunch of left coast, hair-brained, hollier than thow, belly-aching, never happy about nuthin, snotty, snooty, angry little people doing their best to create their own silk purse out our beloved sows ear!

But that's all just my opinion, I could be wrong.
good post!! Those angry leftist are still very few, and I really wuddint mind those few. to um move elsewhere

Old 07-11-2007, 09:17 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,313,568 times
The Whattaburger in Russellville is not the same as the Whattaburger chain that you can find in Texas, Florida, and few other places. The Whattaburger chain's food, imo, tastes a lot like Sonic. Whattaburger in Russellville is a whole different experience.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:23 AM

It's a different experience still, but I think it was better before Mr. Bob passed away. Maybe the angry leftists took it over? LOL!!!!

Old 07-11-2007, 12:33 PM

490 posts, read 1,265,630 times
Default Can't wait to get back

I was born and raised, at least through high school, in El Dorado. Went to college at ASU in Jonesboro, now I see they are going to change the mascot from Indians to God knows what. A couple of observations while growing up in Eldo, there was no better doughnut than a SPUDNUT, made with potato flower. The SPUDNUT SHOP is still there selling them by the ton, puts Krispy Kreme to shame. The best burger in town was at Lipsey's, especially the ones with chili.

Whataburger is a Texas chain, I have eaten at many of them during my 8 years in Texas in Dallas and Houston, nothing better than a Whataburger with jalapenos for breakfast.

Unfortunately, I now live in Nebraska (too windy, too cold and way too tax happy). Other than that, Nebraska is not that bad if you can put up with the Husker fans, ha ha. I can retire in less than 3 years now and while I would not move back to Eldo, town has really declined, I have owned property in Hot Springs Village for 15 years and cannot wait to move there. Even though I went to ASU, I am a HOG fan to the core and really hope they get their problems straightened out in Fayetteville and get on with playing football and basketball.

To me, there is no better place than Arkansas. I have lived in Louisiana, Tennessee, Texas, Missouri and now Nebraska, have traveled to almost all 50 states, and the only place more beautiful I have seen is Glacier Park in Montana, but it is way too cold for me to live there. The pace of life in Arkansas is what I want. I know where the dry counties are, I own guns but do not hunt, just target shoot, love to fish and play golf. The education of the people is no concern to me (to each his own), I still have my accent and proud of it, and I look forward to meeting new friends from all over the USA when I move to HSV.

I think I will fit in just fine. WHOOOOOOOO PIGS SOOOOOOIIIIIEEEEEEE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas