Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 12:59 PM

11 posts, read 26,961 times

Advertisements

What is the deal on this? We just moved to Ozark AR two years ago and have two boys that will be starting kindergarten in 2012.

Is this a law? How well is it accepted? Any reports on abuse? How do you opt out? Lots of questions.

Last edited by SandboxVet; 01-11-2011 at 01:15 PM..

Old 01-11-2011, 01:04 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,947,486 times
I would not want to be the person that spanks my son. I am not against corporal punishment per se, but I believe it should be left to the parents.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:21 PM

11 posts, read 26,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I would not want to be the person that spanks my son. I am not against corporal punishment per se, but I believe it should be left to the parents.
I feel the same way. We have asked locally, and yes it goes on, but everything else is kind of vague. Is this a bible belt thing? Does religion fuel this? We have seen the "don't spare the rod" billboards on the freeway. our main concern is that we are liberal christian/buddhists and this is a very old hard right thing. Creepy.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:09 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,359,716 times
I don't know of it happening in the higher grades, but I think it works well in the primary grades. Some kids just need to be spanked.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:19 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
I know that, at least in the past, Arkansas law allowed for schools to use corporal punishment. That said, all districts implement that in different ways, so your best bet is to speak to the district directly about their specific policy.

I imagine all but the most conservative districts would allow for some kind of opt-out.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:45 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
i don't think this is a form of punishment that is used that much. I can't answer for certain as I do not have any children in school, but I have never heard of it being used much or abused in any way.

Nita

Old 01-11-2011, 03:08 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxVet View Post
I feel the same way. We have asked locally, and yes it goes on, but everything else is kind of vague. Is this a bible belt thing? Does religion fuel this? We have seen the "don't spare the rod" billboards on the freeway. our main concern is that we are liberal christian/buddhists and this is a very old hard right thing. Creepy.
You have moved to the most conservative part of Arkansas and possibly even the entire nation. My high school near Fort Smith gave swats, sometimes even in high school. The school also had a large Bible on a pedestal in the library and had very strict rules against dating and relationships (boys had to sit on the separate side of the bus from girls, etc). This was in high school and it was a public school. In the Arkansas River Valley from Ft. Smith to Russelville, the 1950s never really ended. As you would have in the '50s, if you are not a white anglo-saxon Protestant Republican, that's fine but don't be too vocal about it. Don't be surprised when people think you are devil worshiper if you mention you are buddhists.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:41 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
You have moved to the most conservative part of Arkansas and possibly even the entire nation. My high school near Fort Smith gave swats, sometimes even in high school. The school also had a large Bible on a pedestal in the library and had very strict rules against dating and relationships (boys had to sit on the separate side of the bus from girls, etc). This was in high school and it was a public school. In the Arkansas River Valley from Ft. Smith to Russelville, the 1950s never really ended. As you would have in the '50s, if you are not a white anglo-saxon Protestant Republican, that's fine but don't be too vocal about it. Don't be surprised when people think you are devil worshiper if you mention you are buddhists.
I hadn't paid that much attention to where they had moved. You are right. I think they may be in for a little surprise period, living in Ozark and being liberal Buddist as they say they are.

Nita

Old 01-11-2011, 04:05 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,359,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I imagine all but the most conservative districts would allow for some kind of opt-out.
The district my daughter goes to has parents sign a consent form. If the parent does not sign the form, other forms of punishment will be administered. My wife gladly signed the form.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:44 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
The district my daughter goes to has parents sign a consent form. If the parent does not sign the form, other forms of punishment will be administered. My wife gladly signed the form.
Swats work in elementary school but they are an easy way out in high school. Most kids I went to high school with would gladly take swats over detention, suspension, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
View detailed profiles of: