Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 11:45 PM

697 posts, read 1,768,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter95 View Post
I agree. I have lived in NWA, Central, and Eastern where I know reside and was born and raised. Never explored the southern part of the state though. I know there are better parts to Arkansas than the Delta, but with all of its troubles, I love it. NWA is beautiful, as is the Little Rock area. I just have never been to the lower portion other than Monticello, but it wasn't an exploration trip so I can't say much about it.
It's actually amazing how varied the different parts of the state is, both in appearance and residents. When I did some pretty extensive in-state travel for work one season, I got to see parts of central, southern, and eastern Arkansas I'd probably not have otherwise seen. It was an enjoyable time and a unique opportunity to get to know more of our state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 08:55 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,174,179 times
Quote:
How so?
the southern and eastern regions of AR are very rural, with small towns, families that have lived in the areas for generations, and more conservative even though many are registered Democrats. The NW section of the state is more urban, if you can say any part of AR is urban. From the areas north of Ft Smith all the way to the MO border there are larger towns and cities, most of the industry in AR is located in Washington and Benton County and Fayetteville is extremely diversified with the University being there. Probably there are more people in the area that are not from AR than are. You see a variety of nationalities and cultures from Fayetteville north compared to the southern region or the eastern section of the state. Little Rock, of course is the middle of the state and is as close to urban as we get.

The area from Ft Smith north is more affluent than the Delta for sure.

Nita

Old 01-24-2011, 10:52 PM

111 posts, read 389,422 times
Quote:
How so?
Oddly enough, skeeters.

With the rice fields some of them are big enough to carry off small children. Don't let your kids play outside down there until they are at least 6 or so.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:13 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,821,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoKC View Post
I visited two years ago it was pretty cool.
I guess Arkansas does look good when compared to Kansas City's ghetto. Most places would.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:19 PM

371 posts, read 594,881 times
I'd like to visit Arkansas some day.
All I can say is that we flew over Arkansas on our way to New York City.
After visiting NYC, I would rather of gotten a parachute and jump down from there.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:29 PM

201 posts, read 468,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
I guess Arkansas does look good when compared to Kansas City's ghetto. Most places would.
Precisely I'm not even from Kansas City

Old 01-29-2011, 11:27 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,189,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
the southern and eastern regions of AR are very rural, with small towns, families that have lived in the areas for generations, and more conservative even though many are registered Democrats. The NW section of the state is more urban, if you can say any part of AR is urban. From the areas north of Ft Smith all the way to the MO border there are larger towns and cities, most of the industry in AR is located in Washington and Benton County and Fayetteville is extremely diversified with the University being there. Probably there are more people in the area that are not from AR than are. You see a variety of nationalities and cultures from Fayetteville north compared to the southern region or the eastern section of the state. Little Rock, of course is the middle of the state and is as close to urban as we get.

The area from Ft Smith north is more affluent than the Delta for sure.

Nita
The area between Ft. Smith and Fayetteville is very "hillbilly", and is very culturally similar to rural Appalachia, most specifically western North Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia. Its also very poverty stricken, its just different than the delta. The same can also be said for southwest arkansas in the Ouachitas. Fort Smith itself is a manufacturing town, very blue collar. There is some very affluent people old money there but most of the town is about as working class "Joe-the-Plumber" as you can get. NWA and Little Rock are really the only semi-affluent parts of the state.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:03 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,678,642 times
Plumbers seem to average about $40,000 a year. It's not entry level you have to apprentice under somebody. I knew a retired plumber from the Netherlands that immigrated here and ended up owning a plumbing company, he had scrapbooks of pictures from Europe, Africa, and the equipment he owned which included semi-trucks.
I wouldn't really term the guy conservative or liberal, he was frugal if anything. You could also always hear him coming, cause of the wooden shoes.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:46 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,174,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
The area between Ft. Smith and Fayetteville is very "hillbilly", and is very culturally similar to rural Appalachia, most specifically western North Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia. Its also very poverty stricken, its just different than the delta. The same can also be said for southwest arkansas in the Ouachitas. Fort Smith itself is a manufacturing town, very blue collar. There is some very affluent people old money there but most of the town is about as working class "Joe-the-Plumber" as you can get. NWA and Little Rock are really the only semi-affluent parts of the state.
you are right about the only affluent areas but most of the people in AR live in those areas. Just look at the population growth in NWA the past 10 years.

Nita

Old 01-29-2011, 04:56 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,678,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you are right about the only affluent areas but most of the people in AR live in those areas. Just look at the population growth in NWA the past 10 years.

Nita
Is it still growing like it did in the 2000's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas