Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 05:03 AM

697 posts, read 1,774,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-b View Post
you mean in the city there? because that's not the case in Little Rock, and it's the first I've heard of it.
It's a county issue. That's not the rule anywhere else in the state, as far as I know. Little Rock and Mtn. Home, the two other areas I'm most familiar with allow same/in-store sales with no special rules. Benton county is still dry (somehow... makes no sense with even places like Boone and Marion counties having gone wet in recent years), and Washington County requires separate entrances if part of the same development. Intended to help discourage/prevent underage alcohol purchasing or some such thing, but I doubt it has any real effect.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:40 AM

570 posts, read 1,582,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
While the o/p person uses the term in a mildly insulting way, it is not hate speech in any sense of the word. And it does not even approach the historically derogatory and explosive connotations of the "N" word. There is no comparison or similarity whatsoever.
Yes it does! Think about it real hard.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:47 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,545,925 times
Yes, because it will make a huge difference now that you've posted this. There are probably hordes of people in Arkansas who are even now mobilizing to change this - all because of this post! And telling them it's "time to grow up" will motivate them even more, because of course, being insulted lights a fire under people. Please let everyone in the Arkansas forum know where to send donations to your cause!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermegahyperultrauber View Post
To _cook with_, mind you, not even to drink.

This policy makes you all look like hillbillies. There's a big university here (nwa), major employers, half a million people, even some museums and arts centers.

Time to grow up, move forward and join something approaching the modern era.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-b View Post
you mean in the city there? because that's not the case in Little Rock, and it's the first I've heard of it.
ok, you are probably right. I am thinking of Washinton Counry and also in Jane, MO. They have to have a separate entrance, but the funny part: they also have an entrance from the grocery store to the liqour section in the Jane Walmart. I find that pretty funny. At Sams in Wash Co the booze store is totally separate with a separate entrance.

Nita

Old 02-01-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewizard16 View Post
It's a county issue. That's not the rule anywhere else in the state, as far as I know. Little Rock and Mtn. Home, the two other areas I'm most familiar with allow same/in-store sales with no special rules. Benton county is still dry (somehow... makes no sense with even places like Boone and Marion counties having gone wet in recent years), and Washington County requires separate entrances if part of the same development. Intended to help discourage/prevent underage alcohol purchasing or some such thing, but I doubt it has any real effect.
As for Benton County, we are all hoping someday the law is changed, but for those of us in the NW corner, Mo is a little closer anyway. The interesting thing is the amount of taxes the county or city loses by not allowing the sale of alcohol period. As I mentioned we had this in Texas. For us, it was a joke, we were only about 1/2 mile from a town that allowed beer and wine. What would we do? We would buy the beer and or wine and then spend money on other things. Eventually the one church and pastor that was so powerful must have lost his power, because after we left they finally got enough signatures to get it on the ballot and the city now sells beer and wine, but still no hard liquor.

Nita

Old 02-01-2011, 10:05 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermegahyperultrauber View Post
To _cook with_, mind you, not even to drink.

This policy makes you all look like hillbillies. There's a big university here (nwa), major employers, half a million people, even some museums and arts centers.

Time to grow up, move forward and join something approaching the modern era.
Blue laws. Is it so difficult to plan ahead? Really? Now who looks silly?

Old 02-01-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
My feelieng exactly. We learned this living in VA and Texas. In Texas the liqour stores closed at 9pm on Saturday and didn't open til Monday. Yes, we could buy wine and beer after noon but not hard liquor. In VA we couldn't buy any booze anywhere except the state liqour stores and they were not open on Sundays. I can't imagine anyone getting all upset over this. Would I like to see the laws changed? Sure, but I have yet to lose sleep over it and I certainly would not go to a state forum and start referring to states as Hill billiesh or backwards, over such a silly thing.

Nita

Old 02-01-2011, 10:33 AM

19 posts, read 98,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
why are you using the word "here" instead of "there"? You don't live here, you have said that already.

Nita
And I ask again, WHAT OF IT? I'm here three months out of the year. Must I be a native and not ever ever leave the area? Just how much of a nativist are you?

Old 02-01-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Yes, because it will make a huge difference now that you've posted this. There are probably hordes of people in Arkansas who are even now mobilizing to change this - all because of this post! And telling them it's "time to grow up" will motivate them even more, because of course, being insulted lights a fire under people. Please let everyone in the Arkansas forum know where to send donations to your cause!

I don't pretend that this single post is going to change things overnight, but I certainly hoped to stimulate debate, expose some hypocrisy, and perhaps give small initiative to changing the status quo. If some people feel insulted, well, I can easily live with that. This policy is insult-worthy.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The answer's obvious is it not? It's not always possible to plan ahead, and this policy is mindless and accomplishes nothing but wasting everyone's time and money.

Who looks silly? The reactionaries who support this law.

Last edited by supermegahyperultrauber; 02-01-2011 at 10:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas