Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2011, 01:05 AM

8 posts, read 17,843 times

Advertisements

We're looking at buying rural acreage property in the Harrison area, and have been looking in the areas of Harrison, Jasper, and Kingston. I have several questions that I'm hoping for some help with, such as info about:

High Schools (which are good, which aren't, any private options)?

Recommendations on a good builder? A good Realtor?

Love the area around Jasper and the Buffalo River area...Boxley, Ponca, Compton. What is it like to live there? I'm familiar with Jasper, but I"m not from Arkansas. I've also had difficulty finding a good builder / general contractor. Is this area "welcoming" to families moving there?

How is it for teen age kids in High School?

I know crime is low, but what about problems with Meth in this area?

Any other info or advice would be helpful.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 07:43 AM

63 posts, read 226,564 times
I don't know all the answers to your questions but I can tell you that is is beautiful around that area, that area is defiantly in the Ozarks. I am not sure but Huntsville may be the school that kids in that area go to.....

Old 02-05-2011, 02:23 AM

Thanks, Tuck. Is there anyone else from this area or familiar with it? Anyone familiar with Jasper High School?

Old 02-10-2011, 06:29 PM

No One?

Old 02-16-2011, 04:44 PM

5 posts, read 9,413 times
I don't know about the schools but a little bit about the area...
It's in the middle of nowhere. Absolutely beautiful area, don't get me wrong, but quite far from civilizaton.
Or maybe that's what you are looking for...

Old 02-16-2011, 05:12 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,953,764 times
small school. You are not likely going to find many who know about it because it so small and remote, but here is a link anyway.

http://jasper.k12.ar.us/index.php

Old 02-16-2011, 06:10 PM

697 posts, read 1,776,145 times
If I were moving to that general area with kids and wanted them to have more options or an easier transition from a (possibly) larger district, I'd recommend Harrison. There's nothing wrong with Jasper schools from what I know about them, but it is a small district in a rural area and they won't have as many advanced level classes or extra curricular activities as a larger school like Harrison would. It also seems like it would be easier for a new student to find a group of friends at a larger school, but I know that can vary from person to person. Strangely, I don't know much about the college prep focus/abilities of Jasper (I never had an occasion to interact with their counselor and I don't remember seeing many transcripts from them, but that's something I'd want to investigate too if I were you), but I do know that Harrison is pretty well respected in that area too.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:13 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,760,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR Mark View Post
Thanks, Tuck. Is there anyone else from this area or familiar with it? Anyone familiar with Jasper High School?
Contact Tim Ernst through his web site and ask him. He's very friendly and has answered many of my emails (comments on his journal) like we were best buds. His daughter is graduating from Jasper High School this year.

Current Journal

Old 02-19-2011, 06:06 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,797,090 times
Wow, his photographs are amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Contact Tim Ernst through his web site and ask him. He's very friendly and has answered many of my emails (comments on his journal) like we were best buds. His daughter is graduating from Jasper High School this year.

Current Journal

Old 02-19-2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post

Current Journal
Thank you for the lead! I've checked out his website and blog, and will contact him. Much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas