Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 07:28 PM

154 posts, read 677,139 times

Advertisements

Bblondee - Northwest Arkansas, with Fayetteville being the gateway, is unlike the rest of Arkansas in many ways. Things are more expensive in the NWA part of the state because this is where the money is at, anymore it is where political decisions are made, and it is the cultural capital of the state. It’s worth every penny - you’ll love Fayetteville and NWA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 07:44 PM

388 posts, read 1,780,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder View Post
.... and it is the cultural capital of the state. .....
My outlook differs.

Arkansas, has a rural/semi-rural Southern culture, with the exception of NWA.

If you are uncomfortable with the culture of the remainder of the state, then NWA may be the best fit, but it, IMO, will not be anything like you're used to in CA

Hopefully it never will be.

ETA: If you can accept that catfish is the other white meat, you might be OK.

Last edited by magrack; 07-24-2007 at 07:49 PM.. Reason: text added

Old 07-24-2007, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magrack View Post
My outlook differs.
Magrack - your probably right - NWA's culture is very different than the other 73 counties in Arkansas so a more accurate statement would have been that “NWA’s culture is vastly different that the rest of the state” rather than calling it the cultural capital.

To support your statement - I can quickly think of many more places in Fayetteville and NWA to dine on sushi whereas I can only think of two places that specialize in catfish.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:16 PM

LOL.

I lived in Japan for three years...there is no decent sushi in NWA...I've looked.

You get better sushi in LR, or NLR....closer to the airport, it's fresher.

ETA: I'm not dogging you, it's just that perceptions differ with individuals...doesn't make it bad, just makes it different.

ETA:And that sucker that decided to market wasabe mixed with mayo ought to be shot...twice.
What's his name? Boor's Head....pun intended,

Last edited by magrack; 07-24-2007 at 09:38 PM.. Reason: Text added

Old 07-24-2007, 09:33 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,160,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblondee View Post
Oh my gosh, we are planning to move to Fayetteville. We are only looking for about an 1800 sq foot house but $300. month is what we pay for electricity here in CA!!! I am a little surprised but I'm sure it's still worth moving for us. At least the houses cost less. Thanks for the info though. Really appreciate it.
This sorta suprises me as well. We too are looking forward to the move, but sounds like utilities will be a bit on the high side compared to NM> Most of us do not have central air, we have swamp coolers instead because of the dry climate. Our electric and gas together in the summer runs about $125.00, water about $100 and trash only $16.00. Winter our electric/gas (all in one) will be closer to $150.00. We have 1600 sq ft. Of course our property taxes, which are lower than Texas for sure are about $810.00 and home insurance, $600.00 per year.

i guess it all averages out or I certainly hope it does.

oh, as for sushi and cat fish. I thought cat fish was some kind of sushi. Isn't sushi just plain raw fish?

Old 07-24-2007, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
T.... I thought cat fish was some kind of sushi. Isn't sushi just plain raw fish?
Not even close.

Sushi can be cooked or uncooked fish with vinegared rice or vegetables such as cucumbers with or without a seaweed wrapper.

Hard to really explain.

Try it.

Mahi-mahi is especially good.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
... swamp coolers instead because of the dry climate. Our electric and gas together in the summer runs about $125.00, water about $100 and trash only $16.00. Winter our electric/gas (all in one) will be closer to $150.00. We have 1600 sq ft. Of course our property taxes, which are lower than Texas for sure are about $810.00 and home insurance, $600.00 per year.

i guess it all averages out or I certainly hope it does.

Swamp cooler won't work here...our humidity is pretty high.

We've had a pretty good year here in North Central...cooler than most years for July, but central air or "cold air" is a must.

Costs vary depending on how cool (or warm) you like it.
I'm with a co-op for ecectric and water, septic for sewer, so my costs are different.

All in all, costs are cheaper than many areas of the US, if you consider all costs....taxes, electric, insurance, yadda, yadda.

My property taxes are 635, minus 300 homestead exemption for 4 acres for 1700+ sq ft house...I was paying $3500 for 1700 on a .2 acre lot...my electric is slightly higher, but the property taxes more than make up for it.

i can buy a lot of kW hours for $3200.

Do a spreadsheet.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:22 AM

Quote:
I lived in Japan for three years...there is no decent sushi in NWA...I've looked.
Look a little closer and you will find a handful of authentic Japanese resturants in NWA - The Rice Village is a great one next time your in Fayetteville. I can give you a few recommendations if you really want to know of a few places that make decent sushi in NWA (and I'm not talking about Chiniese resturants or that Shogun place!). For catfish, the Catfish Hole in Fayetteville is good but alot swear that John's in Rogers is better. To me they are both good.

As for wasabi - most wasabi served in Japanese resturants (both here and abroad) is an imitation paste. The root is so rare and expensive that it is not an option to serve real wasabi in sushi bars.

Last edited by boulder; 07-25-2007 at 05:41 AM..

Old 07-25-2007, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Not even close.

Sushi can be cooked or uncooked fish with vinegared rice or vegetables such as cucumbers with or without a seaweed wrapper.

Hard to really explain.

Try it.

Mahi-mahi is especially good.
Mag, I was just pulling your leg, I have tried some of it. Mostly I will leave it to others but the ginger paste or whatever it is I love and some of the sushi is ok.

When I want raw or pickled fish though, I will stick with Lox and Bagels. You guys can have the rest.

When it comes to Cat Fish I guess I had better start eating it if I expect to survive in AR. Funny, I love fish, but have never been impressed with Cat Fish.

Nita

Old 07-25-2007, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Swamp cooler won't work here...our humidity is pretty high.

We've had a pretty good year here in North Central...cooler than most years for July, but central air or "cold air" is a must.

Costs vary depending on how cool (or warm) you like it.
I'm with a co-op for ecectric and water, septic for sewer, so my costs are different.

All in all, costs are cheaper than many areas of the US, if you consider all costs....taxes, electric, insurance, yadda, yadda.

My property taxes are 635, minus 300 homestead exemption for 4 acres for 1700+ sq ft house...I was paying $3500 for 1700 on a .2 acre lot...my electric is slightly higher, but the property taxes more than make up for it.

i can buy a lot of kW hours for $3200.

Do a spreadsheet.
The property taxes here are low compared to other places we have lived, but nothing like AR.

That we look forward to as well as getting back to central air. Even though the bills for electricity will be higher, swamp coolers don't really work here as a matter of fact. Oh, it's better than nothing, but when we have any humiditiy, which we do on rare occassions or the temps get about 95 degrees forget it. Living in NM I wouldn't spend the money to have central air put in, but if we had to replace our cooler I would. Most of the brand new houses are being built with central air.

Later,

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas