Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 04:56 AM

31 posts, read 104,917 times

Advertisements

We are originally from California so moving to Vegas was a culture shock I didn't expect. We knew the lack of green was going to be a problem, but it's so depressing here. Everything is brown! We don't drink so we don't care about dry counties. When we go back to California the green is so GREEN!!
We don't want to move back there because of earthquakes. Been through 2 big ones and don't want to do it again.
We've visited in February between ice storms and in August. We absolutely fell in love with the place and the people. We are considering just packing up the house and heading to NWA!
Been looking at online job sites and there seem to be lots of jobs available.
Rent is so inexpensive there as well. Hopefully we will be there soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
I moved from Vegas in June--to Missouri. My mom lives in Centerton, AR in Benton County. I would love to move to Arkansas if I could. You will be in for a very different lifestyle. Benton county is dry, meaning no liquor stores--you can get drinks in restaurants. You can buy liquor in Washington County, AR or McDonald County, MO. Shopping is different, but varies between the Bentonville, Fayetteville area. Housing values are down in NW Arkansas, too, but I don't think any place has been hit like Vegas.

Get ready for green shock--a very green, pretty environment, versus the desert landscape. It also seems very dark at night vs Vegas--as is almost every other place on earth!

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 07:34 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,343,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Magrack, you and me. I am a fiscal conservative, in fact I am pretty much conservative period but not overly right. It is funny what you say about your sister. I have a granddaughter that is just the opposite. She is a republican in name only and yet she doesn't even know it. I am not going to tell her either. The grandaughter at the University of AR is to the right of most of us. That has a lot to do with her good ole boy, Arkansas boyfriend, probably hubby in a year or so. WE approve.

Like Nita, I am very conservative. Now I live in an area that is 99.9 Democrat but they don't know it,they are actually conservatives. They are morally and fiscally conservative but have never because of ROOTS I guess voted conservative. Like to ring their necks but their next generation has figured it out I think.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:43 AM

27 posts, read 80,875 times
Hey Magrack. Where do you live in relation to Heber?

Old 05-16-2009, 12:44 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,469,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magrack View Post
I'm an Independent, although, in most elections, I often vote on the "R" side of the slate because I favor fiscal conservatism as opposed to nanny state or big government ideals.
Yeah...well the current economy shows how well that theory worked well during the last 8 years.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:02 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
Yeah...well the current economy shows how well that theory worked well during the last 8 years.
and if things continue the way they are headed now, what do you think will happen, but you know, this isn't a political forum, so we better consentrate on some other issues.

Nita

Old 05-16-2009, 08:46 PM

111 posts, read 391,161 times
I don't live in Arkansas any more but I grew up there and I know a lot of people there and for the most part you can be whatever you want to be and if you aren't obnoxious about rubbing other people's faces in it they won't bother you either. Like just about anywhere else, how you will be treated is probably more dependent on how YOU act as opposed to the whole rest of the local population being arrayed against you. For the most part nobody will care what you think and they won't spend any time worrying about it, probably about like you are if you are honest about it. There's lots of places to live in AR where you don't even have to see that many other people anyway if you don't want to.

The natural beauty is more varied and dazzling than anywhere else in a 500 mile radius or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas