Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 06:05 PM

6 posts, read 30,506 times

Advertisements

I had my fill of all that when I lived in Baton Rouge...and Mobile...and Destin...and Decatur (AL)...and Lexington...Georgetown (TX)...you get the idea.

Now my question:

Fayetteville area -- lots of rebel flags adorning cars and porches? Gun racks in trucks with mean-spirited bumperstickers plastered all over? Wrecked-up Camaros zooming past giving the finger at out-of-state plates?

The reason I ask -- I HAVE experienced this elsewhere in the South, and I'm a Southerner. Just a very unusual one, as in Asian! As in constantly assumed to be "foreign"!

Like many on these forums, I'm looking for a place to live in peace. NW Arkansas is so lovely! I am hoping it isn't unfriendly to those who don't "look" the same and who don't share the same religion.

When I lived in Magnolia, down by the Louisiana line, I even had trouble buying from the bakery, because they didn't like to sell to those who don't attend Christian churches...talk about BACKWARDS!!! Then again, this was almost 30 years ago...but in some places, times DON'T change!

Thank you for any insight.

Old 07-28-2007, 06:28 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,499,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryBerry View Post
I had my fill of all that when I lived in Baton Rouge...and Mobile...and Destin...and Decatur (AL)...and Lexington...Georgetown (TX)...you get the idea.

Now my question:

Fayetteville area -- lots of rebel flags adorning cars and porches? Gun racks in trucks with mean-spirited bumperstickers plastered all over? Wrecked-up Camaros zooming past giving the finger at out-of-state plates?

The reason I ask -- I HAVE experienced this elsewhere in the South, and I'm a Southerner. Just a very unusual one, as in Asian! As in constantly assumed to be "foreign"!

Like many on these forums, I'm looking for a place to live in peace. NW Arkansas is so lovely! I am hoping it isn't unfriendly to those who don't "look" the same and who don't share the same religion.

When I lived in Magnolia, down by the Louisiana line, I even had trouble buying from the bakery, because they didn't like to sell to those who don't attend Christian churches...talk about BACKWARDS!!! Then again, this was almost 30 years ago...but in some places, times DON'T change!

Thank you for any insight.
So you know how it is here! Why do you want to move to this area. If you don't like my Reble flag and my gun rack and are ways maybe it would be bast you move elsewhere. You may want to look into Orange County California..
And your right, in some places, times DON'T change! We like things just the way they are.

Old 07-28-2007, 07:37 PM

354 posts, read 325,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
So you know how it is here! Why do you want to move to this area. If you don't like my Reble flag and my gun rack and are ways maybe it would be bast you move elsewhere. You may want to look into Orange County California..
And your right, in some places, times DON'T change! We like things just the way they are.
So very well said. Thank you for having the guts to say it.

I love all that he seems to dislike but I would add one more thing that I love so much. I want to get back to catfishing and eatin' some bad ass fried catfish.

Old 07-28-2007, 07:40 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,897,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
Orange County, I don't think so, it sounds way to conservative. I think he may be happier in someplace like Eureka Springs, maybe Hot Springs or the San Francisco Bay area in California.

I don't want this to sound like judging anyone, I just see it the way you do, the south is the south and it will always be (or certainly in our lifetime) things are changing, but the flag is part of the south. I never think of it as against anything as much as pro something. The gun rack, well they certainly have them in Southern Calif as well. I agree with you, Ar may not be the place for him considering all the places he has tried and none have suited him.

again, junkman, don't take this wrong. Things have changed throughout our country and that is good, but when you mention all the places in the south you have lived and none suit you, why would you even think AR would be that much different?

If you had trouble in Georgetown, TX, Ar isn't the place for you. btw, I have lived in Texas as well as other places in the good ole USA and never seen Asians descriminated (spelling) against.

NMNita

Old 07-28-2007, 08:08 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,499,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOHIllbillyWoman View Post
So very well said. Thank you for having the guts to say it.

I love all that he seems to dislike but I would add one more thing that I love so much. I want to get back to catfishing and eatin' some bad ass fried catfish.
YEAH, I am allways ready for some catfish!!!

Old 07-28-2007, 08:18 PM

510 posts, read 3,202,950 times
San Fran and San Jose have very large Asian communities... regardless of that though, nearly any California metropolitan area and the 50 miles around it is completely used to diversity. While racism still exists, it's much more likely to be against stupidity than race. Which I guess by definition isn't racism...would it be stupism?

Old 07-28-2007, 08:38 PM

388 posts, read 1,786,270 times
Quote:
Rebel Flags, Gun Racks, Primer-Painted Camaros?
PETA bumper stickers, bicycle racks, import cars with radical paint jobs?

What possible difference does it make to you what color or type of car or truck someone else drives?

Not your business.

Gun rack?

Don't like 'em or need one?

Don't put one in your vehicle.

People hunt in this state; some like to carry their rifles, shotguns or bows in a rack in the cab of their vehicle.

Fishing rods too. I do myself; never know when I might get the urge cast out a line at a likely looking spot.

The Confederate battle flag?

Part of the tradition and heritage of the South, and although there are many who would have you believe it stood for slavery, it has a much deeper meaning to many southerners.

Many people, more capable than I, have tried to explain it and the argument still hasn't ended, nor will it.

Displaying it is a form of freedom of expression, much the same as displaying a political bumper sticker, and nothing anyone says or does will make it disappear from the South.

It's not necessary for you to like it, but if you move here you should understand that others do and and will display it, regardless of your views. A vast majority who display it are not advocating it as acceptance of the ethos of earlier times, but as a symbol of southern pride.

I've said it before on many different threads; Arkansas is not for everyone.

It is what it is.

Old 07-28-2007, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magrack View Post
PETA bumper stickers, bicycle racks, import cars with radical paint jobs?

What possible difference does it make to you what color or type of car or truck someone else drives?

Not your business.

Gun rack?

Don't like 'em or need one?

Don't put one in your vehicle.

People hunt in this state; some like to carry their rifles, shotguns or bows in a rack in the cab of their vehicle.

Fishing rods too. I do myself; never know when I might get the urge cast out a line at a likely looking spot.

The Confederate battle flag?

Part of the tradition and heritage of the South, and although there are many who would have you believe it stood for slavery, it has a much deeper meaning to many southerners.

Many people, more capable than I, have tried to explain it and the argument still hasn't ended, nor will it.

Displaying it is a form of freedom of expression, much the same as displaying a political bumper sticker, and nothing anyone says or does will make it disappear from the South.

It's not necessary for you to like it, but if you move here you should understand that others do and and will display it, regardless of your views. A vast majority who display it are not advocating it as acceptance of the ethos of earlier times, but as a symbol of southern pride.

I've said it before on many different threads; Arkansas is not for everyone.

It is what it is.
Mdgrack, I don't even live in AK yet, but did live in Texas for 13 years. thought I am not a southern by heritage, nor is hubby, we both think of the confererate flag like you have stated. A proud tradition and not a symble of any type of racism. Nita

Old 07-29-2007, 02:51 AM

154 posts, read 680,258 times
MerryBerry - what you will see more than anything in Fayetteville are Hondas and Toyotas with Razorback license plates and “Keep Fayetteville Funky” bumper stickers. Fayetteville (and most of NWA) is a happy and peaceful area ... I suppose we can thank the regions strong economy. Being Asian or any race - I think you will fit in just fine in Fayetteville. You will see the typical "good-ole' boy" with his jacked up pick-up truck around but the redneck lifestyle is not prevalent by any means - you’ll see more of this in places like Springdale, Huntsville, Harrison.

NMnita; Arkansas = AR (AK = Alaska)

Old 07-29-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder View Post
MerryBerry - what you will see more than anything in Fayetteville are Hondas and Toyotas with Razorback license plates and “Keep Fayetteville Funky” bumper stickers. Fayetteville (and most of NWA) is a happy and peaceful area ... I suppose we can thank the regions strong economy. Being Asian or any race - I think you will fit in just fine in Fayetteville. You will see the typical "good-ole' boy" with his jacked up pick-up truck around but the redneck lifestyle is not prevalent by any means - you’ll see more of this in places like Springdale, Huntsville, Harrison.

NMnita; Arkansas = AR (AK = Alaska)
ok, I did the same thing not too long ago when I was emailing my granddaughter. I really do know the difference, but age has a way of taking your mind slowly>>>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas