Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 03:26 AM

140 posts, read 473,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernkomfort27 View Post
Is there anythingalive on your property? Seven is a highly potent insecticide and will kill a lot more than snakes, such as: songbirds, frogs, chipmunks, maybe even the neighbor's cat. It definately kills honey bees which are essential for pollinating crops.

I have heard that there are a lot of snakes in Arkansas, but I think that shooting every snake in sight, and the broad use of poison is an over reaction to a relatively minor problem.
THANKS FOR THE INFO, BEES ARE A BIG ISSUE ARENT THEY. NOW on to Snakes, Don't just kill any snake because it makes you uncomfortable, they have a purpose on Earth just as you do. If a poisonous ones comes across your path most likely they will scurry away scared of you. If all the ignorant people kill all the snakes then you will deserve the Rodent problems you will have ! Just read up on the type of snakes in your area and get familiar with how they look. In my area there is copper Heads mostly, but truthfully i have yet to see one in 4yrs, but i have seen many other harmless ones, some large. Why do you think they have Rat troubles in so many places? Dont kill any animal that doesnt threaten you directly- except FiddleBack,(Brown Recluse) spiders they can do a lot of damage. I see Trantulas during season changes - they are harmless , even the scorpions here in arkansas just sting like a wasp , so don't worrry so much, just keep alert of your surroundings, and enjoy nature's Beauty and amazement. Best WIshes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 09:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,507 times
Default nwa critters

we moved to bella vista 2 years ago from northern pa. it took a couple weeks to realize our house had a abundance of brown recluse spiders....and while i respect most forms of life the websites provided lots of info that these had to go even if the experts say only 10% of the bites turn bad....even after quartley sprays i still keep sticky boards around to see whats developing......after we moved in i caught over 40
so while this is going on i am still looking for my first venomous snake..(see plenty of non but never the big 6....i always wondered if i did see one of the six what i would do........then about 4 weeks ago the wife and i were getting the last float of the summer on our rafts on a bella vista lake when i sawsomething rapidly swimming on top of the water towards us as we were getting out of the lake........i always keep an old pair of benocs on the deck.....as soon as i grabbed them i looked him or her in the eye and everything i had studied was there....large body ,triangle head thin neck face stripe, head and neck out of the water and while i hear old timers say it's too far high or north for cottonmouths i am sure i saw a big one......and i also know now what would do.... which was to get out of the lake....
i've looked for him since then but never saw anything but nerodia
i can get away from the snakes but after 2 years i still can't avoid those d chiggers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
View detailed profiles of: