Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 05:37 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

I have to remember the first time we set foot in Ar and hubby's opinion. We spent a few days in Hot Springs. At the time we were living in Texas and thinking of retiring. I feel in love with Hot Springs; hubby said: no way in H#ll am I going to live in a place like AR. We retired about 5 years later to NM. Our granddaughter choose AR to continue her education cause they gave her a great scholarship. We started hearing about how wonderful NWA was from a kid who was raised in the city: Dallas as a matter of fact. Before we knew it, we decided as much as NM had a few things to offer, being a little closer to family might be a good idea. We found Bella Vista (granddaughter actrually found it for us) here we are. Not only do we live here, our daughter and son in law have relocated here, our granddaughter and her husband and baby are here and our older granddaughter and hubby might end up here in a few years. It is a whle different life, from what we had, being raised in So Cal, but I would take the friendliness of the people, how hard many of them work and the fact most of the kids have manners, regardless of their background or education over the city life anyday. If this is what being miserable is all about, I must be miserable...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 09:27 AM

127 posts, read 216,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Thanks to someone from New Hampshire for weighing in on a quality of life poll in Arkansas(?) I don't really recall how long it's been since you lived in Arkansas. NWA is pretty special, but the rest of the state has a lot going for it.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion. I'm just happy for YOU that you found your nirvana in New Hampshire. The rest of us? We just like it here - wherever "here" may be!
I am 1 year removed from NWA after living in Arkansas for 38 years. I am qualified.

I am not downing NWA at all. Good place to live. In fact, I am not trying to drive Arkansas down either. Is NH better than Arkansas? To me it is but only because it fits my lifestyle better. Not because it is BETTER for anyone that came here. I like being an hour and a half from the mountains, 15 minutes from the beach and 45 minutes from Boston. I like that I can experience 4 true seasons every year with a cold, snowy winter and pleasant summers. But that is me. Not everyone is interested in that and I understand and appreciate that.

On the flip side, NH has low wages, jobs are not prevalent, winters can be brutal and long and they will be the first ones to tell you that.

My issue comes with how defensive everyone is in Arkansas about their state. Arkansas has some great things to offer but realistically it has some limitations as well. It is ok to acknowledge these limitations and doesn't make Arkansas less of a state to someone who really loves it there. Not everything can be positive there no more than it can anywhere. That is why I made the point about the "best place to live". Those articles are always viewed as "legitimate" publications while the ones that criticize are full of it.

Someone wrote in this thread that states can't be miserable or happy, only people. This is very true and believe any place in the world can be a person's dream, while at the same time being another person's nightmare. The key is being open to that.

Arkansas will always be home to me. I was born and raised there. I will always have my name engraved in that sidewalk in front of the music building at the University of Arkansas. I will always root for the Razorbacks to win in everything they play. I will always have met my one and only love in Hot Springs and married her. My kids will always have been born there. My dreams were realized in Arkansas, not in spite of it.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:51 AM

94 posts, read 160,106 times
During my 4 years of living in Little Rock, I loved living in Arkansas and I didn't find it to be miserable. The only thing I dislike is the Razorbacks because my loyalty lies with Alabama Crimson Tide.

The low median income is not really of a negative since AR is a very affordable place to live so is most of the South along with a great economy.

Of course, there are problems with poverty and obesity. Poverty is higher in AR Delta and other rural areas outside Little Rock and Northwest AR.

For obesity, it is related to lifestyle so it is somewhat beyond the control of the state government.

I personally liked Little Rock better than my own hometown Memphis, TN and Tuscaloosa, Alabama where I went for college.

Really, ranking the states based on the quality of life is very subjective. Life is what you makes out of it; same goes for where you live. You could live in the most boring state and still be happy and very involved in activities.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:54 AM

231 posts, read 390,576 times
I was surprised to read this information. I have friends who moved to Bella Vista last year, relocating after 35 years in California, and they love it. I mentioned this to them and they have not experienced anything negative in NWA.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:13 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times
I lived in Salem for awhile,people very nice and helpful,willing to help including bank.Easy area to move around.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:08 PM

117 posts, read 257,522 times
I used to work in Arkansas. Definitely not surprised to see it on the list. One of the worst places i've had to be. The entire state just sucks. Even Mississippi and Kentucky have their fun things to do.... but ARK... HA!

Old 01-03-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekboi View Post
I used to work in Arkansas. Definitely not surprised to see it on the list. One of the worst places i've had to be. The entire state just sucks. Even Mississippi and Kentucky have their fun things to do.... but ARK... HA!
when you write something negative about something it helps to give reasons and where did you live in Arkansas?Did you live in NWA or Hot Springs, how about Russelville or Texarkana? Did you spend anytime in Eureka Spings and when did you live here? As for Mississippi and Ky, both do have nice places, especially Ky..What do you mean by fun things to do? Visiting Crystal Bridges, boating or rafting on the lakes, enjoying a fun night on Dickson street, going to one of the top rated Farmers markets in the country? None of these things are fun? How about filling us in on what was not fun?

Old 01-03-2013, 02:49 PM

21 posts, read 47,126 times
I think it depends on the person and how they adapt to their environment. I'm on the liberal side and live in the River Valley, and I can say that I'm not as fond of the area as I am say, Northwest Arkansas. I'm not miserable in any case, but I could see myself happier in a different area. It doesn't make the River Valley a terrible place to live, just not the right place for me in particular, and I plan to do something about that soon. I can't say it's a bad place to live simply because it's not my cup 'o tea. Throwing all of AR into one big lump because I don't like one area would definitely be misguided. Different strokes for different folks.

I've lived in Mississippi (born), Indiana, Georgia, Kentucky, Nebraska and Arkansas, and I can say the same thing about all of those states. It's all according to how you look at it.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necraven View Post
I am 1 year removed from NWA after living in Arkansas for 38 years. I am qualified.

I am not downing NWA at all. Good place to live. In fact, I am not trying to drive Arkansas down either. Is NH better than Arkansas? To me it is but only because it fits my lifestyle better. Not because it is BETTER for anyone that came here. I like being an hour and a half from the mountains, 15 minutes from the beach and 45 minutes from Boston. I like that I can experience 4 true seasons every year with a cold, snowy winter and pleasant summers. But that is me. Not everyone is interested in that and I understand and appreciate that.

On the flip side, NH has low wages, jobs are not prevalent, winters can be brutal and long and they will be the first ones to tell you that.

My issue comes with how defensive everyone is in Arkansas about their state. Arkansas has some great things to offer but realistically it has some limitations as well. It is ok to acknowledge these limitations and doesn't make Arkansas less of a state to someone who really loves it there. Not everything can be positive there no more than it can anywhere. That is why I made the point about the "best place to live". Those articles are always viewed as "legitimate" publications while the ones that criticize are full of it.

Someone wrote in this thread that states can't be miserable or happy, only people. This is very true and believe any place in the world can be a person's dream, while at the same time being another person's nightmare. The key is being open to that.

Arkansas will always be home to me. I was born and raised there. I will always have my name engraved in that sidewalk in front of the music building at the University of Arkansas. I will always root for the Razorbacks to win in everything they play. I will always have met my one and only love in Hot Springs and married her. My kids will always have been born there. My dreams were realized in Arkansas, not in spite of it.
Of course people in AR are defensive about their state, just like Ca, Texas or any other state they call home. I was born and rasied in California, I probably would never move back but I am still defensive of the state to a degree. This goes for family as well..Most of us are defensive of what we love and charish..

Old 01-03-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookhavennative View Post
I think it depends on the person and how they adapt to their environment. I'm on the liberal side and live in the River Valley, and I can say that I'm not as fond of the area as I am say, Northwest Arkansas. I'm not miserable in any case, but I could see myself happier in a different area. It doesn't make the River Valley a terrible place to live, just not the right place for me in particular, and I plan to do something about that soon. I can't say it's a bad place to live simply because it's not my cup 'o tea. Throwing all of AR into one big lump because I don't like one area would definitely be misguided. Different strokes for different folks.

I've lived in Mississippi (born), Indiana, Georgia, Kentucky, Nebraska and Arkansas, and I can say the same thing about all of those states. It's all according to how you look at it.
You have a very open and objective mind. Thank you. Yes, it does demend on how you approach things and what you consider important in life...Good for you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas