Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 05:36 PM

34 posts, read 55,646 times

Advertisements

I am currently taking pre-reqs for Nursing. I am wondering if anyone as had any experience with nursing colleges in AR and which are the best. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 07:04 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaDream4ever View Post
I am currently taking pre-reqs for Nursing. I am wondering if anyone as had any experience with nursing colleges in AR and which are the best. Thanks
I don't think anyone can say what is best, but I do know the CC in Bentonville/Rogers has a pretty good program. I think they offer both the 2 year program and the accelerated one that is fast a faster pace. I have a friend who has a daughter that completely the program about a year ago.

Nita

Old 10-04-2010, 07:43 PM

Well I suppose by "best" is a school that gets you in and out. I am enrolled in a school that takes 3+ yrs ( for an RN ) and I think thats just crazy and they keep adding classes to you. Now if I had all those years free without having to support my kids then yeah I would though in that much time I could have what I really want and thats to be a NP. I am around the conway area ... I have been considering Bee Bee. Just wanted to see what others opinions are. Thanks Nita!

Old 10-04-2010, 07:52 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,688,185 times
Quote:
I think the RN and LPN programs at UAFS in Fort Smith are good as far as preparing you for a job.

The LPN program in Ozark is easier.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:16 PM

Thanks friendlyfeller though I think fort smith may be a bit of a drive ... and wow the postings i have read about that town.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Thanks friendlyfeller though I think fort smith may be a bit of a drive ... and wow the postings i have read about that town.
You posted while I was still typing so I didn't know you where in Conway.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Well I suppose by "best" is a school that gets you in and out. I am enrolled in a school that takes 3+ yrs ( for an RN ) and I think thats just crazy and they keep adding classes to you. Now if I had all those years free without having to support my kids then yeah I would though in that much time I could have what I really want and thats to be a NP. I am around the conway area ... I have been considering Bee Bee. Just wanted to see what others opinions are. Thanks Nita!
My granddaughter did an accessorated program at OU. It was only for students with bach already and was really fast paced. Of course you grades leading up to the program will have a barring on whether you get accepted and whether you can handle the pace. I think, if I remember right there were about 450 applicants and 41 were accepted. Azamingly, all but 3 made it through.
Now, as soon as she has her second baby and can get all her student loans paid off (which amount to thousands of dollars) she will go back and maybe get her PN, but that's is another long program.

good luck to you, but remember what seems like a long time today, 20 years frrom now will seem like nothing. YOu have to be patient. I would start with checking into some programs, see the entrance requirements, the cost and when the classes start.

Nita

Old 10-05-2010, 02:16 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,377,582 times
I was in the medical field for 20 years and my wife just retired after 40+ years as a Registered Nurse. What we found, too often, was that the "accelerated programs" gave great "book learning" but when the new R.N got to the unit and started taking care of real people they came up disturbingly short. I want to emphasize, not always, but too often. A lot depended on the "want to" of the individual. But the bottom line is that each individual has to do what works for them.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:48 PM

112 posts, read 296,602 times
The two year program at NWACC (Northwest Arkansas Comm Coll) in Bentonville is excellent. I've taken a few of the nursing courses there and they are really some of the finest instructors I've had for anything. One of the instructors I had, I became good friends with and I occasionally drop her a postcard or email to say hi and let her know how things are coming along in my career and education. Very good instructors there - they take an interest in you and your goals, and you're never just a random face in a classroom.

When it comes to the practicals they scatter throughout several of the hospitals in the area. At the two hospitals I was at (Northwest Health in Bentonville and Washington Regional in Fayetteville), everybody was very professional and easy to get along with, and patient and willing to teach, which was great considering we were a bunch of students not quite sure how everything worked. The uniform is forest green bottoms and a white top, and you'll get a shoulder patch too. Not my favorite color combo, but maybe they're changing, as before I moved to Boston I dropped by the hospital and saw a guy in all green.

The NWACC program is extreeeemely competitive, though. In fact, if you have your LPN first, your chances of nabbing a slot go up. There's a good local place to get your LPN, and they will give you all this information when you call NWACC to discuss this with them. The director of the nursing program at NWACC is a fabulous woman and she gives a seminar periodically for anyone in the region to come, to learn about the nursing program and what the entrance requirements are and what's expected of you if and when you apply, and if and when you're accepted. The seminar was 2 or 3 hours, IIRC, but it was WELL worth it. Jam-packed with information and handouts detailing the requirements, and free to attend.

NWACC's grad rate is also extremely high. The program is demanding, and they will tell you up front that your life will essentially be on hold while going through the program, but if you get in, and do the work, they will get you through it.

Anyway, there's my vote.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
I was in the medical field for 20 years and my wife just retired after 40+ years as a Registered Nurse. What we found, too often, was that the "accelerated programs" gave great "book learning" but when the new R.N got to the unit and started taking care of real people they came up disturbingly short. I want to emphasize, not always, but too often. A lot depended on the "want to" of the individual. But the bottom line is that each individual has to do what works for them.
When I went took the test to get into the LPN classes there where at least 200-300 people taking the test with only 30 slots for the class. It was pretty easy for me to get on of those slots but I didn't really understand what I was getting into.
I worked 5 years in the medical profession but only as an iddle small CNA. I'm sure I could make it through the LPN program now if I wanted to but the pay for welders is just as good or better and the work environment is much much nicer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas