Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 01:21 AM

45 posts, read 267,934 times

Advertisements

Alright. I realize after my Southern Hospitality thread, this may seem like I'm stiring up more junk, but here goes.

I was just on ESPN and they have a poll asking who you would like to win the PGA. Really, I could care less, but the two choices are John Daly and Tiger Woods. After voting, a map of the U.S. pops up and you can see how the people in each state voted.

The ENTIRE country is red for Tiger Woods except for one little blue state representing John Daly. Care to guess what that state is?

Now, this seems interesting to me since obviously John Daly is white and Tiger Woods is mixed-race. While most states were anywhere between 55-65% for Tiger Woods, Arkansas was 60% against him. I even thought that maybe John Daly is from Arkansas, and that's why so many people voted for him, but he's from California and lives in Kentucky.

So, is this just a coincidence that Arkansas was the only state to overwhelmingly vote for the white guy, or is there more here?

The quick response would be to blurt how stupid it is to base this whole thing on one stupid poll. I'm not basing anything on anything. I just want to hear what people have to say.

I'm not stating anything, just asking a question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 01:41 AM

23 posts, read 92,168 times
John Daly has a house in Dardanelle Arkansas.
He may currently live in KY, I don't really know, but his golfing career began while he was living in AR.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:46 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elainebenes View Post
Alright. I realize after my Southern Hospitality thread, this may seem like I'm stiring up more junk, but here goes.

I was just on ESPN and they have a poll asking who you would like to win the PGA. Really, I could care less, but the two choices are John Daly and Tiger Woods. After voting, a map of the U.S. pops up and you can see how the people in each state voted.

The ENTIRE country is red for Tiger Woods except for one little blue state representing John Daly. Care to guess what that state is?

Now, this seems interesting to me since obviously John Daly is white and Tiger Woods is mixed-race. While most states were anywhere between 55-65% for Tiger Woods, Arkansas was 60% against him. I even thought that maybe John Daly is from Arkansas, and that's why so many people voted for him, but he's from California and lives in Kentucky.

So, is this just a coincidence that Arkansas was the only state to overwhelmingly vote for the white guy, or is there more here?

The quick response would be to blurt how stupid it is to base this whole thing on one stupid poll. I'm not basing anything on anything. I just want to hear what people have to say.

I'm not stating anything, just asking a question.
yes you are and it is going to get an interesting thread pulled at this rate.

Nita

Old 08-11-2007, 06:23 AM

369 posts, read 1,302,291 times
As mentioned it is because Daly began his golf career in Arkansas and he has a house in Arkansas. He's from Kentucky but he's in Arkansas more than he's in his home state. If Tiger Woods had Arkansas ties then I'm sure that the state would've overwhelmingly voted for him. Arkansas people likes anything that is Arkansas which is why when middleweight boxer Jermaine Taylor fights in California or Las Vegas 95% of the crowd are Arkansas residents.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:15 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,270,385 times
I gotta root for Daly, although God love him - he starts out well but then apparently goes out and celebrates in his own fashion, thereby removing himself to the bottom of the list....

Any state is going to root for the home grown...that's just the nature of the beast. Many Arkansans may root for him to come out of his self-imposed slump, but in their hearts they just wanna see Tiger win. I despise golf - except for Tiger (and the time it takes spousal person away from home, LOL!). Wouldn't watch it two minutes unless it was for background noise for a good nap except that Tiger is so graceful and so gracious (at least in the public eye, otherwise he's a little bit of a snot).

Interesting side note - has anyone read Daly's book? He's an enigma for sure...I don't guess he tells anything that the paparazzi hasn't reported in detail anyway, but I was intrigued by his in-your-face revelations of his life. He makes no apologies, really - but you wonder if he's in touch with reality sometimes. He claims to have lost hundreds of thousands of dollars at gaming tables but doesn't have a gambling problem - drinks like a fish but doesn't have a drinking problem - and apparently loves, loves, loves those two little words "I do".....my favorite chapter was All My Ex-es Wear Rolexes...Nice family, local...he may call Tennessee home, but Arkansas will always claim him, especially since he owns Lion's Den in Dardanelle (which is gorgeous, by the way).

Old 08-11-2007, 07:24 AM

157 posts, read 854,540 times
Arkansans consider him an Arkie and voted accordingly. There's a lot of news coverage on him here. Don't read too much into the poll regarding racism. Arkansas isn't any better nor worse than other southern states.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:20 AM

490 posts, read 1,266,382 times
I guess this is why Arkies root for big John, by the way, he lives in Memphis (Cordova).

Birth April 28, 1966 (1966-04-28) (age 41)
Carmichael, CA
Height 5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)
Weight 283 lb (128 kg)
Nationality United States
Residence Cordova, Tennessee
College University of Arkansas

Old 08-11-2007, 09:25 AM

41 posts, read 155,602 times
*wonders why elaine continues to post in arkansas forum*
its because Daly pretty much lives here.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:12 AM

45 posts, read 267,934 times
Yes- now this is what I'm talking about. A nice, civil conversation that explained why no other state voted for John Daly.

Now, we could get into the fact that John used to drink a lot, has been married many times, and likes to mess up his wives a little, but other than that- a great guy!

Well, I had to know why no other state was voting for him.

And, yes, elainebenes is still posting in the Arkansas forum. It's just so much fun.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:14 AM

490 posts, read 1,266,382 times
elainebenes, since you are having so much fun, I also like John Daly. My favorite golfer though, is David Toms, not because I hate Tiger but because of a family connection. We all have our faults, John is just a little more in the public eye than the average Joe, or John.

I sincerely hope he can get back to playing great golf but if not, oh well......that's life, at least John's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas