Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 01:19 PM

19,365 posts, read 27,588,925 times

Advertisements

1. How much snow is on the ground? How long does it last? How many days per year does it snow to the point of an accumulation?

2. How long does the 70+ percent humid season last? Which months? Is it so bad that you can't even go outside? Humid both day and night?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 01:41 PM

4,532 posts, read 6,224,722 times
I'd use this web site to narrow down your choices to a manageable list, then begin to research each potential location, using this site (City-Data is great, we use it each time we relocate, several times a year) for questions/answers.Weatherbase - Find a Vacation Spot.

What is important to you ? For instance:

Assess to medical 1 hour distant ?

Taxes ?

Weather, humidity, cold, hot, rain, snow, sun ?

Activities ?

Relatives close by ?

Shopping ?

Airport 1 hour distant ?

Just for the record, we are fulltime RV'ers, we've had our fill of summer humidity (don't ask how we ended up in San Juan in the summer), and the Indiana winter...cold and snow. We always spend the winter in Yuma, and normally spend the summer in a cool/ non humid location. My all time favorite location is the Olympic Peninsula in Washington. Look here: //www.city-data.com/city/Sequim-Washington.html. Another of my favorites is the Oregon Cascades, and even Sierra Vista, AZ. The Cascades do get a lot of rain, lower elevations get very little snow, and Sierra Vista at 4000' can get cold in the winter and some monsoon humidity in the summer.

I believe we have the best of both worlds, we just chase the sunshine....winter and summer.

Good Luck
Gemstone1

Old 07-29-2011, 01:47 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,010,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
1. How much snow is on the ground? How long does it last? How many days per year does it snow to the point of an accumulation?
It's not the snow, Jkgourmet. It's the ice.

Quote:
2. How long does the 70+ percent humid season last? Which months? Is it so bad that you can't even go outside? Humid both day and night?
I would venture to say that other than when a high weather system blows in, that it is *always* that high. And in the summer, you can expect a lot of 80 - 90 percent humidity days. Both days and night.

You can get used to it, but it makes *any* outside activity really unpleasant. Sorry but that is the gospel truth. No sense, lying about it.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-29-2011, 02:07 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,728,918 times
Quote:

There is no snow on the ground. It snows 2 or 3 times a year. Generally it melts within a couple of days.

There is no "humid season". Humidity this morning was 78%. This afternoon it's down to 38%. It's just one of those things that's difficult to compare. You simply have to visit and check it out. I will say that when I live in Minnesota I thought the humidity was worse, and yet statistically it's not so different. I've also thought it was worse in Florida. The difference may be on the time of day that humidity peaks and subsides,

Old 07-29-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
I'd use this web site to narrow down your choices to a manageable list, then begin to research each potential location, using this site (City-Data is great, we use it each time we relocate, several times a year) for questions/answers.Weatherbase - Find a Vacation Spot.

What is important to you ? For instance:

Assess to medical 1 hour distant ?

Taxes ?

Weather, humidity, cold, hot, rain, snow, sun ?

Activities ?

Relatives close by ?

Shopping ?

Airport 1 hour distant ?

Just for the record, we are fulltime RV'ers, we've had our fill of summer humidity (don't ask how we ended up in San Juan in the summer), and the Indiana winter...cold and snow. We always spend the winter in Yuma, and normally spend the summer in a cool/ non humid location. My all time favorite location is the Olympic Peninsula in Washington. Look here: //www.city-data.com/city/Sequim-Washington.html. Another of my favorites is the Oregon Cascades, and even Sierra Vista, AZ. The Cascades do get a lot of rain, lower elevations get very little snow, and Sierra Vista at 4000' can get cold in the winter and some monsoon humidity in the summer.

I believe we have the best of both worlds, we just chase the sunshine....winter and summer.

Good Luck
Gemstone1
Thanks, Gemstone. I'll use that link. I've been trying to narrow this down for a couple of years now - it's really difficult to find something that's fairly temperate year round with fishing. Who woulda thunk it?

We've considered RV'ing and having two homes. Neither is appealing for us. So for the past two years (since I retired) we've been renting in the summer to get out of the Arizona heat. But ultimately, we do want to relocate to somewhere where that has fishing very nearby, and has comfortable weather 9-10 months a year. And possible disappear to a rental for the remaining 2-3 months, or decide to grin and bear it.

We find Phoenix to be acceptable for 7-8 months per year, and no fishing to speak of.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
I played around with that link a bit. Interesting, but with what I looked for, markedly inaccurate. Average temperature in Chandler, AZ in August is 87 degrees? I wish! It's actually 103 degrees average! (Average Temperatures For Phoenix)

And, sadly, the site doesn't come up with information on rain, snow or humidity.

But I'll look at the information and links you suggested here on city-data. Thanks.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:03 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,160,112 times
Quote:
I'm not so sure they do understand the humidity issue. They will find the humidity in the Ozarks almost as bad as Florida, which they have already eliminated. The person who suggested a visit is right on...this is the worst time of year for humidity in the Ozarks, so why not test it out ?

Average Fayetteville humidity is low of 60% high of almost 90%

Average Orlando, FL humidity is low 60%, high, low 90's.

Religion....In a larger community you will fit right in, in a smaller one, you'll stick out like a sore thumb. Baptists controlled everything when I lived in the Ozarks in the 70's...from the liquor laws to bible class in public schools....even tho' it was/is illegal.

Taxes...I'm sure it's changed, but in the 70's my 20 acre farm in was taxed $4.96....

If the humidity does not scare you off, I'd suggest you give Bull Shoals a look, they have had retiree's moving in from Chicago for 40 years or better, close to the lake, prize trout waters of the White River....Arkansas is pretty, but it is also humid, it can get damn cold and you will get snow.

Good Luck
Gemstone1
Come on, average means about nothing, the same as political polls: you can have one crappy season and it throws the average all to Hell!!

I just checked the weather map: we are having a record breaking summer here as most people know: AT around 4: 30 here were the humidity levels for 4 locations:

Orlando Fl:44%
Dallas, TX: 37%
Miami, Fl: 57%
Bella Vista, AR: 33%

Again, as for snow: sure we get it, sure it is cold, I would like to know where snow isn't, but we get very few really cold days. I have lived here close to 4 years and never wear a coat. I do wear heavy jackets much of the winter.

As for religion: beleive it or now, NWA isn't controlled by the Baptist. Last time I checked the 70s were 40 years ago. What was and is are two different things. You don't seem to care for NWA, that is your right and there are others that share you view, but most people in the area are transplants from all over the country and most would never leave unless they had to for health reasons or something else.

Nita

Old 07-29-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:

Please do not let someone who lived here 40 years ago and obviously didn't like it scare you off. Come and see for yourself. Yes, we have humidity, no it isn't the most fun thing in the world, but hot is hot, dry or otherwise. I don't think I have seen 5 days where we couldn't sit out and enjoy the tree frogs and the fire flies at night after dark. The worst time for humidity is from about 1am to about 7am. The months that are the most uncomfortable are early July to say, late August. In about 3 weeks or so our temps will drop considerably (we hope)

I do not have the figures as to how many actual days it snows where we have any sizable amount of accumulation but other than this past winter I am guessing about 5 to 6.

Nita

Old 07-29-2011, 07:24 PM

4,532 posts, read 6,224,722 times
"Please do not let someone who lived here 40 years ago and obviously didn't like it".....

I loved it, I just believe in calling a spade a spade. I lived at the end of the road, 2 miles from my nearest neighbor, the national park bordered my farm on 2 sides, the Buffalo River was just a mile away, I had 2 private roads to the river, a log house built in 1917....what's not to like ?
Cold....I remember working in Harrison one winter....wind chill was 20 below...it was coat weather.
Snow....snowed in several times...
Pretty country, you bet.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 07-29-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
"Please do not let someone who lived here 40 years ago and obviously didn't like it".....

I loved it, I just believe in calling a spade a spade. I lived at the end of the road, 2 miles from my nearest neighbor, the national park bordered my farm on 2 sides, the Buffalo River was just a mile away, I had 2 private roads to the river, a log house built in 1917....what's not to like ?
Cold....I remember working in Harrison one winter....wind chill was 20 below...it was coat weather.
Snow....snowed in several times...
Pretty country, you bet.

Regards
Gemstone1
Harrison isn't really considered part of NWA. It is no but not NW. NWA does start in Ft Smith and goes to the MO border including Wash, Madison and Benton counties. Many hardly consider Ft Smith NW> Most think of NWA as starting around West Fork/Fayetteville area. Cetainly not Harrison.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas