Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 09:50 AM

127 posts, read 216,820 times

Advertisements

Why is it if anyone has a not so great opinion of Arkansas people get attacked here? I have seen multiple times on this forum where someone comes in and doesn't talk wonderful about Arkansas and they get eaten alive for it. Is it not okay to give different opinions here? Is this really the Truman Show?

A perfect example is a thread in the Boston forum. A guy puts up how much he hates living in Boston. IN THE BOSTON FORUM! Everyone in there just talked with him about it. No one attacked him or even really got upset about it. It was his opinion and it was valued. I understand comments that are just written to slam a place but when people make legitimate statements about their opinions about the area, why should it not have as much weight as someone who thinks it is the cat's pajamas.

Just because one person believes that it is great here for certain reasons, another person might think the complete opposite and that is just an opinion. Weather for instance. Some people think the weather is great here. Some give other opinions that it is to hot and humid. Instantly people jump on their case that they are completely wrong. How can they be wrong if that is their opinion of the weather here? And it is one thing to have a healthy debate about a subject but completely different when you are told you don't know what you are talking about.

Read around on other state forums and you will see what I am talking about. Arkansas must be the only state that is perfect because the other state forums have opinions good and bad against those areas.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:09 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,169,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by necraven View Post
Why is it if anyone has a not so great opinion of Arkansas people get attacked here? I have seen multiple times on this forum where someone comes in and doesn't talk wonderful about Arkansas and they get eaten alive for it. Is it not okay to give different opinions here? Is this really the Truman Show?

A perfect example is a thread in the Boston forum. A guy puts up how much he hates living in Boston. IN THE BOSTON FORUM! Everyone in there just talked with him about it. No one attacked him or even really got upset about it. It was his opinion and it was valued. I understand comments that are just written to slam a place but when people make legitimate statements about their opinions about the area, why should it not have as much weight as someone who thinks it is the cat's pajamas.

Just because one person believes that it is great here for certain reasons, another person might think the complete opposite and that is just an opinion. Weather for instance. Some people think the weather is great here. Some give other opinions that it is to hot and humid. Instantly people jump on their case that they are completely wrong. How can they be wrong if that is their opinion of the weather here? And it is one thing to have a healthy debate about a subject but completely different when you are told you don't know what you are talking about.

Read around on other state forums and you will see what I am talking about. Arkansas must be the only state that is perfect because the other state forums have opinions good and bad against those areas.
For native arkies it amounts to loyalty to our people.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
For native arkies it amounts to loyalty to our people.
I have never lived anywhere else (38 years) and so I feel I have earned my right to have an opinion either way. Some things are good and some things are not so good but I believe in calling a spade a spade.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:21 AM

1,230 posts, read 3,175,675 times
I think it probably has a lot to do with that a lot of people have a incorrect view of Arkansas and its people. Arkansas and its people are portrayed as redneck hillbillies who have zero education, are dirt poor, backwards and closed minded. So we feel the need to defend ourselves against these thoughts.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
I think it probably has a lot to do with that a lot of people have a incorrect view of Arkansas and its people. Arkansas and its people are portrayed as redneck hillbillies who have zero education, are dirt poor, backwards and closed minded. So we feel the need to defend ourselves against these thoughts.
I have two degrees (don't misunderstand I'm not really smart, I just worker harder than some). Many arkies are; rednecks, backwards, have zero education, are dirt poor, and are closed minded.

Having said that I spoke with an englishwoman at an inservice this week who lives and teaches in a small rural community in nw arkansas. She told me; "this state is beautiful." "These people are incredibly nice." "You people really have a nice niche here." I do believe she was sencere if only because that's how I see arkansas.

I spent yesterday with my family. My now deceased adoptive father's family. It was wonderful. They love each other and even me even tho I'm not a blood relative. They feel that way because I'm part of their family. I'm part of their culture. I share their concerns, hopes and dreams.

If you pick on one of us, you pick on all of us if only because we see ourselves as family. I'm not a christian but I understand that christianity is part of my culture. In fact my culture could be summed up as god, marriage, and children. It's what we are.

Too many elitits from outside don't understand this. Having traveled and worked on both coasts and "some" experiences in europe courtesy of the us navy, I no longer feel much of the rest of the world has any right to critisize us. I've seen your world. I much prefer mine. That englishwoman was right, we've got a good niche here. I just hope those that come here don't screw it all up with their intolerance and their elitism and their decadence.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
This is what I was thinking too but it makes us look insecure, which is not an attractive trait and sort of justifies exactly what you just said. Aren't we being closed minded and backwards if we don't accept others opinions and allow healthy debates/conversations?

Besides, I have not read on here one time where someone said Arkansans were stupid. It is opinions on how areas are to live and such but it seems that mindset is dumping over into everything.

I don't think Arkansas has anything to worry about as far as being secure in itself and the people here. We have had a President of the United States and one of the largest retailers/companies in the world start and flourish here. I think Arkansas puts that label on themselves to much. Technology is a wonderful thing and most of those stereotypes have been debunked. It is up to the people of Arkansas to let it go now.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:54 AM

1,230 posts, read 3,175,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
I have two degrees (don't misunderstand I'm not really smart, I just worker harder than some). Many arkies are; rednecks, backwards, have zero education, are dirt poor, and are closed minded.

Having said that I spoke with an englishwoman at an inservice this week who lives and teaches in a small rural community in nw arkansas. She told me; "this state is beautiful." "These people are incredibly nice." "You people really have a nice niche here." I do believe she was sencere if only because that's how I see arkansas.

I spent yesterday with my family. My now deceased adoptive father's family. It was wonderful. They love each other and even me even tho I'm not a blood relative. They feel that way because I'm part of their family. I'm part of their culture. I share their concerns, hopes and dreams.

If you pick on one of us, you pick on all of us if only because we see ourselves as family. I'm not a christian but I understand that christianity is part of my culture. In fact my culture could be summed up as god, marriage, and children. It's what we are. Too many elitits from outside don't understand this. Having traveled and worked on both coasts and "some" experiences in europe courtesy of the us navy, I no longer feel much of the rest of the world has any right to critisize us. I've seen your world. I much prefer mine. That englishwoman was right, we've got a good niche here. I just hope those that come here don't screw it all up with their intolerance and their elitism and their decadence.
Good post. I personally would much rather spend time with what some would call "backwards" people....too me they are usually just country people.

I also think that is another reason Arkansans feel the need to defend themselves/our state is people come in here from all over the country/world and try to change us and our way of life to fit them instead of them changing to fit into our way of life.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Good post. I personally would much rather spend time with what some would call "backwards" people....too me they are usually just country people.

I also think that is another reason Arkansans feel the need to defend themselves/our state is people come in here from all over the country/world and try to change us and our way of life to fit them instead of them changing to fit into our way of life.
This is everywhere. Probably the number one thing I see on some of the smaller states forums here at City-Data is the "trying to change us" argument. Go read New Hampshire or Maine and you will see what I mean.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
This is what I was thinking too but it makes us look insecure, which is not an attractive trait and sort of justifies exactly what you just said. Aren't we being closed minded and backwards if we don't accept others opinions and allow healthy debates/conversations?

Besides, I have not read on here one time where someone said Arkansans were stupid. It is opinions on how areas are to live and such but it seems that mindset is dumping over into everything.

I don't think Arkansas has anything to worry about as far as being secure in itself and the people here. We have had a President of the United States and one of the largest retailers/companies in the world start and flourish here. I think Arkansas puts that label on themselves to much. Technology is a wonderful thing and most of those stereotypes have been debunked. It is up to the people of Arkansas to let it go now.
I used to work in a family store. I don't have an arkansas accent. I couldn't tell you how many times californians or yankees came here and mistook me for one of them and complained about arkansas and it's people. It became so bad I just stopped worring about the sales and simply pointed in the direction of I-40 and told them it would take them right back to where they belonged. Sometimes money just isn't worth it.

As a child I put up with so much crap in other states about being from arkansas I stopped telling people I was from here. It was really that bad. If you want to understand people's attitude about being from arkansas simply read steinbeck's the grapes of wrath. I have relatives who went to california. They were treated badly. It makes me want to beat every californian I hear complain about this state while living here.

There's nothing wrong with debate. However, you should consider the source. California is going toxic. The north is collapsing under the weight of their problems, they don't call it the rust belt for nothing. You should consider the source too. Arkansas is a good place to live. We don't need to turn it into michigan or california to make it a better place.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
This is everywhere. Probably the number one thing I see on some of the smaller states forums here at City-Data is the "trying to change us" argument. Go read New Hampshire or Maine and you will see what I mean.
I fully understand that sentiment too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas