Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 07:30 PM

4 posts, read 11,545 times

Advertisements

Although Marion is growing quickly, I would not recommend moving there, have you checked out Atoka TN?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 11:28 AM

2 posts, read 5,234 times
I live here, am not originally from here, and I tell you it is a better alt than memphis, but there is NOTHING here besides school, church, and wal mart. Unless if you go to memphis, but then you risk your life.

Old 11-30-2007, 05:03 PM

6 posts, read 16,593 times
Default west memphis

you can't go wrong with either marion or west memphis. marion has a smaller town feel-but that is going away. west memphis offers more services- high rated schools---richland and west jr. high, lower utilities, lower homeowners insurance- because of the second highest fire rating in state, west memphis doesn't have all those trains marion has either. look at facts

Old 01-03-2008, 12:02 AM

11 posts, read 38,315 times
KCMO -
Hi! I've lived in Memphis for 20 years. I've been escaping to Marion (the rural river area outside it) for all of those years. It IS a lovely small small town with big city access just a stone's throw away. I tried to buy a house there for about 5 years. The only houses typically available are in new subdivisions with no trees in former cotton fields: cookie cutter houses. If that's your cup of tea, there are hundreds of those. I always wanted one of the older quaint homes near the courthouse and yes, the train tracks - romantic to me... If one of those is on the market, I'd snatch it. I couldn't get any land owners to sell me a couple of acres, either... I think Marion is a great investment to buy a home and raise a family. Convinced of it even - Really shocked that Memphis has subdividied 60 minutes East, yet very few cross those 7 miles West.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,441 times
Default Crime & Diversity

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysmelb View Post
Having been born in West Memphis and then moving out to Marion 12 years ago, I think this is a great location for many reasons. You do have the small town feel, the lower crime rate, and the quick easy access to Memphis for the opportunities, diversity and choices only found in larger cities.
I had a little laugh reading this out of context. I certainly find myself heading over the bridge to the more crime ridden, diverse inner city of Memphis for its urban amenities.

I just moved to Marion and am eager to get more involved in the community.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:24 PM

24 posts, read 89,053 times
Would it be possible to commute from Marion to Millington TN? How long would it take? I will be working there on the Naval Base and would love to live in Marion as my family is in Jonesboro...

Old 06-12-2008, 09:50 AM

14 posts, read 29,947 times
Default Commute to Millington

Map says it is 30 miles. Depends on what tiem of day etc. Going East on 40 inthe Am is not so bad, but in the afternoon you are right there with the commuters going East. It is doable. I commuted from marion to St. Francis Hospital in East memphis and it tool me 30 minutes to go 30 miles because I was going opposite everyone else. Good Luck.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:28 AM

24 posts, read 89,053 times
Thanks mommy of 2. I am going to start looking for a home there in Jan. Questions:
1. Do any of the older homes near downtown ever go up for sale or...
2. Are there any right now. I couldn't find any online
3. Is the golf course there strictly private and do they sell homes near it?

Old 02-01-2009, 01:08 AM

5 posts, read 15,133 times
I am a Realtor in Marion, and I also moved here 7 years ago for the school. My 2 daughters was 12 and 5 then, so I know how you feel about the importance of finding a good school. Marion is a quiet town, quick access to Memphis, only 15 mins to downtown, no traffic. The school and the town has grown so much since I moved here 7 years ago, we are fixing to have a new Junior High building by itself. There is GT program from 3rd to 6th grade, AP class from 7th to 12th grade. I always give my clients with kids a school tour, it seems to help them to make their decision to move to Marion. We have plenty of subdivisions here, price ranges from $110's-$300's, what ever suits your needs.Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by leorah; 02-08-2009 at 02:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas