U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 08:41 AM

4 posts, read 12,609 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving to the ES area. We have 3 young children. I am concerned that the area is not the greatest place to raise kids. Although it is very beautiful. It seems much more focused on adult activities. We would live on the lake, so I know we would focus a great deal on nature & lake activities. I am needing more info on schools, organized activities etc... within the community itself. I want them to have a healthy social life and keep them busy. I guess what I am asking is, can ES be a family oriented place? Any advice is welcomed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 09:04 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,779,526 times
As long as you move right outside of ES you should be alright. It is all country within a mile outside. I wouldn't think you would want to live in the historic district anyway without garages. I take it you have a job in the area?

Old 10-06-2011, 09:16 AM

yes, I work from home & my husband would have a commute of about 25-30 min. if we moved into the ES area.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:10 AM

75,885 posts, read 88,768,575 times
I agree with Debbie, outside of ES would be fine, but ES itself is not really a family friendly town. It is touristy for starters and has a slightly different life style. Of course much of this depends on your overall views of life...

Nita

Old 10-06-2011, 10:21 AM

We would live on the lake, so we would not be living in town. With that being said, ES would be the school district & the closest town to us. So it would be the community we would be most involved with.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:01 PM

75,885 posts, read 88,768,575 times
A lot does depend on what you are looking for and your overall view of life. I will be honest, me, I would probably not move to ES school distric, but that is me. What is right for one person isn't always right for another. I am not trying to start another debate on the pros and cons of E.Springs, we seem to have that every month or so and it does get heated: I will put it as simply as I can: if you lean liberal E Springs might be a great place for you, if you are on the slightly more conservative side, I would look elsewhere. There are a lot of nice areas near Eureka Springs, and yet might offer a more family friendly atmosphere.

Nita

Old 10-06-2011, 01:11 PM

138 posts, read 195,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
A lot does depend on what you are looking for and your overall view of life. I will be honest, me, I would probably not move to ES school distric, but that is me. What is right for one person isn't always right for another. I am not trying to start another debate on the pros and cons of E.Springs, we seem to have that every month or so and it does get heated: I will put it as simply as I can: if you lean liberal E Springs might be a great place for you, if you are on the slightly more conservative side, I would look elsewhere. There are a lot of nice areas near Eureka Springs, and yet might offer a more family friendly atmosphere.

Nita
Perfectly stated young lady!

Old 10-06-2011, 01:26 PM

I'm pretty familiar with ES's liberal reputation. I was just curious if there were many opportunities for children/families in the area to kind of balance out the adult atmosphere. We tend to be more conservative but not at all close minded. I do not want to move to an area that lacks in opportunity for the kids. As a person on the outside looking in, ES does not seem to offer much in terms of a family atmosphere, but I did not want to be hasty and place judgement without first looking into the area more closely. I've only visited the area as a tourist and never have spoken to people who actually live there to see what their opinion is. My husband and I love the natural beauty of the area that's the big draw for us. Thanks for all the input so far!

Old 10-06-2011, 02:19 PM

41,500 posts, read 25,783,795 times
There are certainly activities for children in Eureka Springs, it's just important to remember that the community has built its economy on tourists, and the tourist season is busiest from Memorial Day to Labor Day. When the tourist season is over, many businesses close up for the winter, or cut way back on their hours.

I've never heard anything negative about the school system in Eureka Springs. The schools in Northwest Arkansas have very good reputations, but the schools in Eureka Springs are going to have students with more rural backgrounds than the students in, for instance, Fayetteville. On the bright side, those longer bus rides give the students a chance to get to know one another. And there is a sense of community among the students who live out along the lake. People will volunteer to transport your kids along with theirs to basketball games and other school activities. And in the summer, when school is out, the kids will get together on the lake for swimming or snorkeling (scuba diving and snorkeling are frequent activities out by the dam), or floating on the White River.

Just do be prepared for the winter. We don't have bad storms every year, but an ice storm out by the lake, especially near Eureka Springs, can keep you home-bound for several days. A generator is a very good thing to have if the power goes out.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:27 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,913,488 times
The ES School District is not very good. I have relatives who have worked for them and they told ms it's a pretty backwards district with a lot of drug issues (nothing else for the kids to do). They would suggest the Berryville schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas