Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 05:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Yes, the Hogs did a good job last night. It never really seemed even close. Hopefully they will be rated 4th or 5th nationally now.

There were 2 interesting articles this past week about the university. I will say, before I mention the articles I am not a strong believer in polls or studies, but they do give bragging rights until the next one comes out:

1-The university was rated in the top 10 football programs in the country based on value for the dollar spent..I guess this is based on recruiting, salaries, future of the players, the money the program brings into the univeristy, etc. it was an editorial in our paper so not many details, but impressive for the time being anyway.

2-the second study, I think by Forbes magazine (they do a new study every other day I think) rated the University 57th out of 500 for value of the education based on educational standards, costs, qualtiy of the graduaties, etc. No, of course this isn't putting them into the catagory of Stanford, Cal, the Ivy league schools, etc, but to be close to the top 10 is impressive. Yes, I realize, it is based on a lot of things and isn't saying the univeristy is one of the best in the country by anymeans. It does put us on the map though and shows AR isn't just a nothing, hick state with a bunch of dumb Moderator cut: snip.

Nita

Last edited by Kimballette; 01-07-2012 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 10:25 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
Great Cottonbowl game, although I do think Arkansas was snubbed by the elite east coast BSC crowd and should have been in a bigger bowl game and ranked higher. After all the ONLY teams they lost to are the number 1 and 2 in the country. I loved the FOX talking heads rooting for K State, pretty obvious and typical.

I'm proud of the Hogs, and look forward to a great 2012 season!

Old 01-07-2012, 11:19 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Yes, the Hogs did a good job last night. It never really seemed even close. Hopefully they will be rated 4th or 5th nationally now.

There were 2 interesting articles this past week about the university. I will say, before I mention the articles I am not a strong believer in polls or studies, but they do give bragging rights until the next one comes out:

1-The university was rated in the top 10 football programs in the country based on value for the dollar spent..I guess this is based on recruiting, salaries, future of the players, the money the program brings into the univeristy, etc. it was an editorial in our paper so not many details, but impressive for the time being anyway.

2-the second study, I think by Forbes magazine (they do a new study every other day I think) rated the University 57th out of 500 for value of the education based on educational standards, costs, qualtiy of the graduaties, etc. No, of course this isn't putting them into the catagory of Stanford, Cal, the Ivy league schools, etc, but to be close to the top 10 is impressive. Yes, I realize, it is based on a lot of things and isn't saying the univeristy is one of the best in the country by anymeans. It does put us on the map though and shows AR isn't just a nothing, hick state with a bunch of dumb Moderator cut: snip.

Nita
Way to win that important exhibition game.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:55 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Yeah the Cottonbowl between two top 10 teams is an "exhibition game."

Old 01-07-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Yeah the Cottonbowl between two top 10 teams is an "exhibition game."
uh...it is...you do realize that right?

Old 01-07-2012, 01:33 PM

26 posts, read 50,310 times
the second study, I think by Forbes magazine (they do a new study every other day I think) rated the University 57th out of 500 for value of the education based on educational standards, costs, qualtiy of the graduaties, etc. No, of course this isn't putting them into the catagory of Stanford, Cal, the Ivy league schools, etc, but to be close to the top 10 is impressive.

I am absolutely a fan of UARK for this very reason. When we were scouting schools for my niece's college education, UARK by far gave the best bang for the buck. We were also very impressed with the campus, very pretty. A total of 17 kids from her high school class (private school, Dallas Texas) ended up going there. Every single kid graduated with a degree and are now employed. GO HOGS!!!!

Old 01-07-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
so what is that supposed to mean?

Nita

Old 01-07-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottydog02 View Post
the second study, I think by Forbes magazine (they do a new study every other day I think) rated the University 57th out of 500 for value of the education based on educational standards, costs, qualtiy of the graduaties, etc. No, of course this isn't putting them into the catagory of Stanford, Cal, the Ivy league schools, etc, but to be close to the top 10 is impressive.

I am absolutely a fan of UARK for this very reason. When we were scouting schools for my niece's college education, UARK by far gave the best bang for the buck. We were also very impressed with the campus, very pretty. A total of 17 kids from her high school class (private school, Dallas Texas) ended up going there. Every single kid graduated with a degree and are now employed. GO HOGS!!!!
That is what got our family to AR, our granddauther who was being recruited by some schools rated higher than AR for sure offered her this and that, but she loved the campus here and yes, got a darn good scholareship. They were from the Dallas area. Never in a million years had any of us thought about living in AR. Well, she graduated 4 years ago, we were about to retire and she mentioned us looking in Bella Vista, we fell in love with it, moved here and now her parents are moving her the second week in Feb. yes we are all avid Hogs fans!!!!!!!!!!
Nita

Old 01-07-2012, 05:38 PM

104 posts, read 138,027 times
I know you'll be pleased to hear that 8000 miles away the Hogs have a supporter! I did a deal with the forum in Arkansas that I belong to that I would support the Hogs if they would support our All Blacks rugby team in the recent Rugby World Cup. They did and we won it! So "GO HOGS!"

Old 01-07-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
so what is that supposed to mean?

Nita
Think about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas