Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 05:55 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,689,947 times

Advertisements

I disagree that its rural as I think that has more to do with population density than culture. If you fire off a gun in Fort Smith your probably going away in handcuffs, not rural at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 12:37 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,980,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyFeller View Post
I disagree that its rural as I think that has more to do with population density than culture. If you fire off a gun in Fort Smith your probably going away in handcuffs, not rural at all.
The culture of the people of Fort Smith probably retains strong rural influences that originated in workers moving there from surrounding rural areas and that have been continued through generatons. Without having an economy that's evolved from industry, I'd imagine spending time in Fort Smith and visiting with the people would be like going in a time machine back to 1970. Old school working-class culture. St. Joseph, MO is a VERY similar town.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
The culture of the people of Fort Smith probably retains strong rural influences that originated in workers moving there from surrounding rural areas and that have been continued through generatons. Without having an economy that's evolved from industry, I'd imagine spending time in Fort Smith and visiting with the people would be like going in a time machine back to 1970. Old school working-class culture. St. Joseph, MO is a VERY similar town.
It may have rural influences but It's not truly rural. You could live in a rural area and commute into Fort Smith.
What are you imagining, spending time in Fort Smith or what 1970 was like?

I thought Chiang Mai, Thailand was VERY similar in many ways, whats your point?

Old 01-28-2012, 03:11 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Agreed. The culture in Fort Smith is very "country", but the town in itself isn't rural. There is more to what differentiates rural and urban than just population density. Culture has a lot to do with it.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:31 PM

Lol, did the OP actually get scared off, I thought maybe they were just being sarcastic at first.
$18 an hour I'd be jumping on that.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:40 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyFeller View Post
Lol, did the OP actually get scared off, I thought maybe they were just being sarcastic at first.
$18 an hour I'd be jumping on that.
Agreed. You can live very well in Fort Smith on that.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:43 PM

209 posts, read 460,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Technically the Memphis metro area is the largest but it's principal city is in TN, not AR. Little Rock is the largest entirely in Arkansas. The second largest is NWA which overtook Ft. Smith in the past decade.

Ft Smith is a manufacturing town, a relic of a past age. Like Pine Bluff, I don't see the place turning around under current economic circumstances.

Right. I say that TN-AR-MS metropolitan area was the second largest in AR (considering that this is a tri-state area). Right now, the second largest is NWA.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 009811 View Post
Right. I say that TN-AR-MS metropolitan area was the second largest in AR (considering that this is a tri-state area). Right now, the second largest is NWA.
Based on my perceptions the people are very rural, Memphis has a high population density but it really goes more by culture, Memphis is not urban.

But seriously I get what your sayin but NWA is the second biggest metro inside the state of Arkansas.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:39 PM

15 posts, read 41,930 times
well thanks for the input! sounds like a good place to be! just worried about the humidity now! my hubby is in heating and air so will be working in it!!!!

Old 01-30-2012, 01:17 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookin2move5 View Post
might have a job opportunity in fort smith(coming from ca) but from what i have been reading in the forum it makes me leary. is it really a hispanic community? home rentals high? (900$ is high to us) the whole reason we are looking to move to ar is for the cheaper cost of living and so we are no longer the minority. is it a mistake going to fort smith??
Short answer is no. It's not a bad city and no, it's not a hispanic community. Having said that there are places in ft smith I don't feel comfortable. However, I'm not aware of a city that doesn't have "less than great neighborhoods."

I should think it'd be a great place for you assuming you can adjust. Arkansas isn't california. Many/most of us here are actually happy about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas