Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 02:49 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

It sounds like Eureka Springs might be a good match, certainly it as liberal as any city in AR. I am a bit surprised you think FAyetteville is too conservative, many think it is too liberal, but that being said, ESprings is more liberal. You sound like you would be very comfortable living there. Finding a reasonable rental might be a little hard, depending on what you call reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 02:58 PM

23 posts, read 61,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It sounds like Eureka Springs might be a good match, certainly it as liberal as any city in AR. I am a bit surprised you think FAyetteville is too conservative, many think it is too liberal, but that being said, ESprings is more liberal. You sound like you would be very comfortable living there. Finding a reasonable rental might be a little hard, depending on what you call reasonable.
I think the fact that many think it is too liberal shows just how conservative it is LOL. The rest of Arkansas may be more die hard Republican than NWA but the majority of the people here at least lean right from my experience. It is absolutely beautiful here though. The newspaper from ES actually showed a fair amount of rentals in my price range- I'd have to look at them to really see the quality though and it may take some searching time. I'm just glad there is at least a "market" for my income there.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ava_539 View Post
I think the fact that many think it is too liberal shows just how conservative it is LOL. The rest of Arkansas may be more die hard Republican than NWA but the majority of the people here at least lean right from my experience. It is absolutely beautiful here though. The newspaper from ES actually showed a fair amount of rentals in my price range- I'd have to look at them to really see the quality though and it may take some searching time. I'm just glad there is at least a "market" for my income there.
As I mentioned, ES does sound like a great place for you. I will add, your reference to die hard Republicans explains your side: Ar has many more registered Democrats than Republicans and until 2010 there were few elected Republicans in DC from AR, not to mention at the state level. Actually I am really surprised to hear you say the people in Fayetteville lean right, the rest of NWA, yes (which btw E Springs is part of the NWA area) does lean right, not Fayetteville. I really am thinking you must be very much to the left. E Springs is as liberal as any part of AR.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:54 AM

602 posts, read 1,515,494 times
Ava- you're living in the wrong part of town You should be more in the center of town closer to campus and/or around the Dickson St. area. There are plenty of like-minded folks. Vegan? Have you been to Ozark Natural Foods? This grocery is great. My "city" cousin (from NYC area) claims ONF is the best natural foods store he's seen in years and he used to own one.

Enough said with "Owl Creek". Been there, done that. I would suggest you visit the schools in ES. I'm not sure the public system will provide any better for your son. Clear Springs could be a perfect fit.

RE: poverty in AR--Can't blame that all on the big corps. Southern AR is farming and timber country. When these dried up, the small farmers moved and any businesses supporting them and their families (think department stores, groceries, etc) moved too.

Back to ES--try to visit on different days and different seasons before you move. I'd hate for you to make the move only to find out it is not near as accepting as you perceive it to be right now.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGreatEscape View Post
Ava- you're living in the wrong part of town You should be more in the center of town closer to campus and/or around the Dickson St. area. There are plenty of like-minded folks. Vegan? Have you been to Ozark Natural Foods? This grocery is great. My "city" cousin (from NYC area) claims ONF is the best natural foods store he's seen in years and he used to own one.

Enough said with "Owl Creek". Been there, done that. I would suggest you visit the schools in ES. I'm not sure the public system will provide any better for your son. Clear Springs could be a perfect fit.

RE: poverty in AR--Can't blame that all on the big corps. Southern AR is farming and timber country. When these dried up, the small farmers moved and any businesses supporting them and their families (think department stores, groceries, etc) moved too.

Back to ES--try to visit on different days and different seasons before you move. I'd hate for you to make the move only to find out it is not near as accepting as you perceive it to be right now.
Somewhat off the subject, but you mentioned the poverty, I think about the worse I have ever seen in our country is the s/e corner of AR and Mississippi. AS you mentioned, this has nothing to do with big corporations, but small farms not being able to survive. Rural states, all of them are facing similar problems.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:51 PM

69 posts, read 172,885 times
I actually haven't been to Fayetteville since I was a kid, but it has been on my list of possible places to move to for a while. It's often considered liberal. But I totally understand where you come from thinking that it is not "liberal" enough. For the state and this part of the country it leans liberal, but overall it's red.

I'm from rural, conservative Kansas, but I've always felt like I belong in the Pacific NW. Unfortunately, I'm also too much in love with all my family and friends around here to move that far away. I think ES is a perfect compromise. Another option you might consider is Lawrence, KS. It's about the size as Fayetteville but much more liberal. Unfortunately, the weather is terrible and there is a strong "hipster" vibe, if you know what I mean.

Best wishes!!

Old 02-08-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
As I mentioned, ES does sound like a great place for you. I will add, your reference to die hard Republicans explains your side: Ar has many more registered Democrats than Republicans and until 2010 there were few elected Republicans in DC from AR, not to mention at the state level. Actually I am really surprised to hear you say the people in Fayetteville lean right, the rest of NWA, yes (which btw E Springs is part of the NWA area) does lean right, not Fayetteville. I really am thinking you must be very much to the left. E Springs is as liberal as any part of AR.
ES is as liberal as AR gets? Eureka Springs voted 58% for McCain/Palin in the presidential election in 2008 according to the city data. I was pretty shocked about that! That's not "liberal".

Old 02-08-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGreatEscape View Post

Ozark is CRAZY expensive lol!! I spent $500 on a cart of groceries there, it was pretty amazing The cheapest I ever spent was just over $250... you'd think in Arkansas organic produce would be cheaper =/ They did have good hygiene supplies there though and I'm glad I found it.

Most of the poverty is because of the corporations, I fully believe that. WalMart has killed economies everywhere else it's landed and since it began here it's held this whole region back. And a lot of those farmers you are talking about gave up their farms to have chicken farms and stuff for Tyson thinking they would make more money. It's hard for me to have any pity there. The timber industry part I do understand as I'm from the pacific northwest and Oregon has been bit by that issue also- not because of the heat but they just clear cut so much of OR eventually they couldn't keep up the pace and demand anymore, etc. So a lot of people lost work.

It's a great idea to visit Eureka Springs in different seasons (I went this summer) and go to the schools. I'm very disappointed in the issue I'm having with my son's current school because Fayetteville isn't that bad really, it's certainly beautiful here and has more diversity than ES- but that's the only school that has the services he needs. We'll see what happens.

I appreciate your advice.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:07 AM

602 posts, read 1,515,494 times
Quote:

Most of the poverty is because of the corporations, I fully believe that. WalMart has killed economies everywhere else it's landed and since it began here it's held this whole region back. And a lot of those farmers you are talking about gave up their farms to have chicken farms and stuff for Tyson thinking they would make more money. It's hard for me to have any pity there. The timber industry part I do understand as I'm from the pacific northwest and Oregon has been bit by that issue also- not because of the heat but they just clear cut so much of OR eventually they couldn't keep up the pace and demand anymore, etc. So a lot of people lost work.
Let's agree to disagree on the corporations. My family was in farming in southern AR (my grandfather was a share-cropper...literally). The last of the sons got out of farming a few years back and it was definitely not due to Tyson Foods or any other chicken company. Just because you can grow great cotton, rice, and soybeans doesn't mean you can raise a chicken or any other kind of livestock.

Spend some time around southern AR or even eastern AR around the Memphis area. These areas was thriving 50-60 years ago due to farming and commerce dealing with farming.

Times have changed. My grandfather wanted his sons to go to college. They did. Those sons wanted their children to go to college. Those kids did. Now we're on what would have been the fourth generation. My children have NO desire to be farmers. It is an extremely hard life. One they have absolutely no interest in (this is sad for me as I'd love for them to have some fond farm memories).
If there is no one to take over the farm dies.

Oops, getting down off my soapbox now

Old 02-09-2012, 07:08 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,168,984 times
Quote:
Hi there I am currently living in Fayetteville. It's beautiful here but it's not really a "great" fit for me, a bit too conservative. I've visited Eureka Springs several times and I am madly in love with it (though Holiday Island seems more rich/snobby to me, as fun as the water is), it's like it was built for me! Small town, artsy community, right in the outdoors (I'm a Washington native and it reminds me of smaller towns in WA but warmer). I'm wondering what it's like to live there. Do you need to buy a home, are there places to rent? Is the rent high? Is the community friendly to newcomers? Are the schools good? (I have a six year old son). Any advice is welcome. Thanks!
If you like california, you'll like eureka springs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas