Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 06:08 PM

18 posts, read 42,488 times

Advertisements

I've been enjoying and soaking up all the great information and insightful (albeit sometimes terrifying) opinions on life in Arkansas for a while now. My husband and I are anticipating a move in the indefinite future both to retire and to be near our lifelong friends who moved to Atkins around two years ago. We're looking at all the areas between Russellville and Little Rock, the location of the VA. When my aged mother no longer needs us, we'll make our move and in the meantime are trying to get all our ducks in a row to be prepared for what we'll find. One of the things I definitely will want is a swimming pool, both for exercise and, hopefully, escape from the heat. We're looking at places with a few acres, so space shouldn't be a problem. If we don't find a place with a pool, we'll have one installed and that is the source of my questions, today. How difficult would it be to find someone in the Russellville to Conway area to install a pool? What might be a ballpark guesstimate of price? I'd love to have a Florida type, screened-in pool; but don't see any in the area. Is there a reason for this? Would the cost of operation rule out having a heated pool? We're slowly pulling together a plan, but have no way to access this information, so thank you in advance for all your kind responses.
Jackie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 08:21 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
I'm up in Northwest Arkansas, so this may or may not apply, about half of my friends have in-ground heated pools, but the winters are too cold to have screened in Florida rooms. I do know of a couple of homes with enclosed pools that are more like greenhouses than screening, but most people like having the pool more open. Most everyone that has a pool also has a hottub that they use year round (in fact, a couple of the pool companies here in NWA advertise a free hot tub with pool purchase). In-ground pools are expensive, though, I think most people spend about $30,000 for the pools, doesn't include landscaping or fencing. Prices in NWA tend to be pretty high, I'd think you'd be able to get a nice pool for less in the Russellville area. Above ground pools are much cheaper and there is a huge range in sizes now.

DC

PS There is a VA hospital in Fayetteville, too.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:23 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,495,883 times
Hi, I can't help you with your question, but I sis see that you are in the Antelope Valley, what part? We moved from Acton in 2006.... How are things there?

Old 09-19-2007, 09:05 AM

Thanks for this info, DC. It sounds like the smart way to go would be to find a home with a pre-existing pool in good condition. At first I thought an indoor pool sounded heavenly but quickly realized it would probably be quite miserable in the steamy summer. We've not seen a heated pool, yet; maybe the cost of heating is prohibitive.
Jackie

Old 09-19-2007, 09:10 AM

Default heated pools

Actually most of the people I know who have pools have heated ones. They start using their pools in May, and many people continue using them into the beginning of October. The heat level can be adjusted so that the water is cool in August, warm in late September. I think the fact that they are heated pools is part of the reason why they're so expensive.

DC

Old 09-19-2007, 09:12 AM

Hi...Actually we're in a small rural area called Antelope, just a bit south of Sacramento, in the Sacramento Valley. The weather this year has been lovely, currently 56 degrees at 8:00 am. This is the one thing I suspect I shall miss.
Jackie

Old 09-19-2007, 09:54 AM

Default weather in Northwest Arkansas

Last week we had several mornings when the weather was crisp and lovely, and the temperature was in the upper 50's. This morning it was in the mid-60's, and a little humid. I love when it gets a little cooler, and as I drive into work I can see the mist rising off of fields and creeks with the blue, blue sky overhead.

DC

Old 09-19-2007, 12:11 PM

Mmmm, I can see the picture you describe. This is my favorite season although we're edging into it quite early this year. That's the one thing I keep finding in all the realtor's ads; the astonishingly and very beautiful blue skies of Arkansas.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:02 PM

The problem is that the scenery can be so darn pretty, that you forget to watch the road! And with some of our narrow, twisty roads---you can't take your eyes off those sneaky things!

Old 09-27-2007, 01:16 AM

140 posts, read 475,318 times
Default Roads can eat tires here in Arkansas

Haha, my Wife was looking at wildlife here in NO Central Arkansas, and ran into a ditch hit a culvert drain pipe, and punctured a new tire! She was ok , glad of that. The Islands in turns sometimes are different than Calif roads,(yes i am a native Calif. never to return), so watch out till you get used to the roads, the Scenery is out of this world- Mild winters compared to up North, wildlife abounds, and fresh clean water, and Air, some of the nicest people you can meet, i love the old timers they are too funny ! Oh there is something called Hillbilly Genius that works. Enjoy.
ps i went to high school in Sacto. till '70 , graduated, 1st class to go thru new JFK high, then went to brand new JC Consumnes River College . Sacto, in the 60s was a great place to live , Now my friends hate living there, too many Gangs etc. thats ashame. How far is ANtelope from Sacto. ? dont remember it. Best WIshes, Welcome to AR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas