Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2012, 02:20 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,856,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark90 View Post
That's true. Jonesboro is a very Southern town, lots of cotton grown in that area. I live about an hour and thirty minutes west of there in what I guess would be Northeast Central Arkansas, in the foothills of the Ozarks. I would say the only area of Arkansas that isn't AS Southern are just those three counties in the NW corner where all the transplants live. That's it. Most of the people who are saying otherwise aren't even from here, and have spent little time in our small corner of the world. Hell, my little patch of Arkansas is considered the most "redneck" or "hillbilly" in the state by the people I work with down in Hot Springs. I get made fun of all the time. And then folks who've never been to Stone County say North Arkansas has "midwestern" influences. Go figure. I don't even know how this thread got to be so long.
That Northwestern Corner is the corner I know best since my daughter is in Fayetteville. My background as an adult has been largely in either the Atlanta suburbs or Dallas suburbs... talk about transplants! I find NW Arkansas still more southern than either one at this point.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:49 PM

26 posts, read 68,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
You are correct about the mountain areas of Georgia. However, as population goes that is a very, very small percentage of the total population of georgia.

Demographics is not the only thing that I refer to. If you lived in Georgia, you must recognize the differences in accents.
Difference between Georgia and Arkansas? North Georgia accent isn't so different from the Ozarks. Those folks settled the Ozarks.

There is a big difference between the accents in North and South Georgia also. Watch Deliverance, then listen to Jimmy Carter or Sam Nunn speak.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:19 AM

369 posts, read 1,302,007 times
When I went to a family reunion in Illinois last weekend, I had this thread in mind. I had to first go to Marion, AR(Delta Region) to pick up my brother before heading north. Every McDonald's I saw from Little Rock to the Missouri border had on their signs "Sweet tea or soft drinks $1.00". Even a few fast food restaurants in the Missouri boothill advertised sweet tea. Once I got to Scott City, MO, I stopped and saw that a McDonald's sign there said "Soft Drinks $1.00". I actually stopped at a Mcdonald's once we got to our destination in Illinois and they didn't even serve sweet tea, so take that for what it's worth...............

Old 08-12-2012, 07:06 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,685,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Pulaski Player View Post
When I went to a family reunion in Illinois last weekend, I had this thread in mind. I had to first go to Marion, AR(Delta Region) to pick up my brother before heading north. Every McDonald's I saw from Little Rock to the Missouri border had on their signs "Sweet tea or soft drinks $1.00". Even a few fast food restaurants in the Missouri boothill advertised sweet tea. Once I got to Scott City, MO, I stopped and saw that a McDonald's sign there said "Soft Drinks $1.00". I actually stopped at a Mcdonald's once we got to our destination in Illinois and they didn't even serve sweet tea, so take that for what it's worth...............
Funny you mentioned that. I was in Cape Girardeau today (the town just to the north of Scott City) and the Burger King had their sign up and it read "Fresh Brewed Sweet Tea".

I actually drove down to Pocahontas and back this weekend myself.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:36 PM

369 posts, read 1,302,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Funny you mentioned that. I was in Cape Girardeau today (the town just to the north of Scott City) and the Burger King had their sign up and it read "Fresh Brewed Sweet Tea".

I actually drove down to Pocahontas and back this weekend myself.
So apparently the North/South line is somewhere just north of the Scott City area, because in my book if you can't find sweet iced tea at a restaurant, then you aren't in the South.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:30 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,859,427 times
I suppose so, but it you can get sweet tea, that doesn't automatically put you in the south. Sweet tea is not that hard to come by in Wisconsin. McDonalds and many others offer it there.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Pulaski Player View Post
So apparently the North/South line is somewhere just north of the Scott City area, because in my book if you can't find sweet iced tea at a restaurant, then you aren't in the South.
That's about where the divide is. It shifts north or south slightly depending on alot of different things though. (If you go up Highway 61 you can almost pinpoint when you cross the line if you pay attention, but you actually cross it more than once if that makes any sense) Sweet tea is definitely available in southern Missouri even though not all of it is culturally southern. How far north into Illinois did you go?

I enjoyed my visit to y'alls state by the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
I suppose so, but it you can get sweet tea, that doesn't automatically put you in the south. Sweet tea is not that hard to come by in Wisconsin. McDonalds and many others offer it there.
Can you get it in gas stations up there?

Old 08-12-2012, 09:54 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,859,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post

Can you get it in gas stations up there?
Yes, as well as all the usual suspects in the fast food world, as well as many sit-down places.
I was a little surprised considering the common stereotypes and assumptions. I wouldn't call it the drink of choice, nor is it as common as in the south, but certainly not scarce.

Last edited by northbound74; 08-12-2012 at 10:05 PM..

Old 08-12-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Yes, as well as all the usual suspects in the fast food world, as well as many sit-down places.
I was a little surprised considering the common stereotypes and assumptions.
Ah alright. The farthest south I've ever had any trouble getting sweet tea was in south-central Missouri on I-44.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:24 PM

52 posts, read 95,359 times
I drove thru Arkansas on wednesday it felt every bit as the south. Even Rogers on the 540 felt like the south. I really did enjoy seeing Arkansas, I wouldnt think twice about coming back for a visit. I have heard of people saying that Arkansas is a midwestern state, I just smile and let them believe it as I know if I try and correct them they will be offended. If Arkansas is not a southern state, then France is not a european country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas