Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2012, 01:24 PM

141 posts, read 171,586 times

Advertisements

I moved to Arkadelphia a few months ago and couldn't find much information about the place. I decided to post this in case someone else is in a similar situation.

I like it here. My biggest problems were finding a decent house to lease and trying to get information by phone. Other than that, it's fine. It's just a small, quiet town. There's a good mix of people due to the universities. It seems a little more tolerable than some other small southern towns I've lived in. I've asked a lot of people how they feel about Arkadelphia. Most responses have been "there's not much here, but it's close to Hot Springs and Little Rock". Several people also made negative comments regarding the hospital.

Avoid doing business by phone as much as possible. It would've been easier getting utilities connected, inquiring about various rules and finding a house had I just appeared in person. Some of the utility companies don't have local offices, so you have no choice with those. I was only given a day, not a time for most service appointments. Make sure someone can sit at home and wait on those days. The city handles water, sewer and trash. The rest of the utilities are Entergy, Centerpoint, Suddenlink, & AT&T.

Most people have told me that the areas north of Pine Street are better. The best time to find a place is when the students are away for summer. Drive around town and look for rental properties, check the newspaper, realtor's websites and Craigslist. I didn't have any success by phone when dealing with the local realtors. I asked coworkers and friends until I found something.

Broadband internet is available, but penetration is poor. Check what's available before you commit.

That's all I have for now. I'll try to answer questions if you have them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 10:46 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,377,582 times
Thanks for the post wildridge. That's one of the great things about City-Data; people helping people. I lived in Malvern for almost 50 years before moving to L.R. so I know Arkadelphia and agree with what you posted. I still do volunteer archelolgy work with the archeology station at HSU. I hope you get all the community "kinks" worked out and have a pleasant experience there.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildridge View Post
I moved to Arkadelphia a few months ago and couldn't find much information about the place. I decided to post this in case someone else is in a similar situation.

I like it here. My biggest problems were finding a decent house to lease and trying to get information by phone. Other than that, it's fine. It's just a small, quiet town. There's a good mix of people due to the universities. It seems a little more tolerable than some other small southern towns I've lived in. I've asked a lot of people how they feel about Arkadelphia. Most responses have been "there's not much here, but it's close to Hot Springs and Little Rock". Several people also made negative comments regarding the hospital.

Avoid doing business by phone as much as possible. It would've been easier getting utilities connected, inquiring about various rules and finding a house had I just appeared in person. Some of the utility companies don't have local offices, so you have no choice with those. I was only given a day, not a time for most service appointments. Make sure someone can sit at home and wait on those days. The city handles water, sewer and trash. The rest of the utilities are Entergy, Centerpoint, Suddenlink, & AT&T.

Most people have told me that the areas north of Pine Street are better. The best time to find a place is when the students are away for summer. Drive around town and look for rental properties, check the newspaper, realtor's websites and Craigslist. I didn't have any success by phone when dealing with the local realtors. I asked coworkers and friends until I found something.

Broadband internet is available, but penetration is poor. Check what's available before you commit.

That's all I have for now. I'll try to answer questions if you have them.
what a smart way to let others know what you have learned about a place and what to expect. I am sure many can use your information as you get more acquainted with your new home.

Nita

Old 09-08-2012, 08:18 PM

Well, I've decided to buy a house. So far, I've only found one realtor who has a few modest homes that aren't about to fall in. However, this realtor seems more interested in me attending a certain church than helping me find a house. If anybody has any tips, I'd appreciate it.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:38 PM

807 posts, read 2,514,654 times
Quote:
Well, I've decided to buy a house. So far, I've only found one realtor who has a few modest homes that aren't about to fall in. However, this realtor seems more interested in me attending a certain church than helping me find a house. If anybody has any tips, I'd appreciate it.
Good Luck. My brother-in-law and his family have moved back here,and they've been unable to find a house. It's hard finding a nice house for a decent price here!!! We were fortunate to be able to find the house we live in now. We wanted to move from where we used to live REALLY badly,and my wife found out about this house. I agreed to buy it sight unseen. You might have to try get outside the city limits to find something with a decent price,but that doesn't always work.

I pretty much agree with everything else you said. Glad you like it here. It can be cliquish,and I 've lived here all my life. I don't feel like I fit in here sometimes. My wife and I work here,but we go out of town to play and shop for the most part. It's pretty boring here,but that's not totally a bad thing,

Old 06-10-2014, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 3,494 times
Default How do you like Arkadelphia so far?

Quote:
I just read your post from a couple years ago as I did a google search for Arkadelphia. We will be moving from Arizona, so we have no idea where to look really. My husband has a possible job opportunity in Camden, AR. I have been trying to find a house to rent until we know the area. There isn't much available in Camden, so I started looking between there and Arkadelphia. We definitely don't want to live in the city. We want land. Can you give me any advise on where to look or maybe who to talk to? Any and all advise will be appreciated!

Old 06-10-2014, 08:47 PM

340 posts, read 515,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maize64 View Post
I just read your post from a couple years ago as I did a google search for Arkadelphia. We will be moving from Arizona, so we have no idea where to look really. My husband has a possible job opportunity in Camden, AR. I have been trying to find a house to rent until we know the area. There isn't much available in Camden, so I started looking between there and Arkadelphia. We definitely don't want to live in the city. We want land. Can you give me any advise on where to look or maybe who to talk to? Any and all advise will be appreciated!
I can't advise this strongly enough. ... Take a trip to Camden and see what you're getting into before you accept a job there.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maize64 View Post
I would call all of the local realtors until you find one who will cooperate. They all know who the local landlords are, because they've sold houses to/for them at some point. You may have to get a motel room for a week and start looking. There are a few landlords who don't advertise their properties. Attending the right church also has advantages. I don't attend church locally and I find it impossible to connect with the local loop. Sorry I can't be more help. If I see/hear of anything I'll let you know.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:49 PM

5 posts, read 24,335 times
I would highly suggest getting a real-estate agent if you're looking for a place to live in Arkadelphia. That's how we found a house here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas