Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 04:45 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,235,423 times

Advertisements

If you're headed from Pinnacle to Petit Jean, take Hwy. 10 to Hwy. 9 and follow on up to Petit Jean - it is a beautiful drive, much more interesting than the interstate. Of course, I would recommend if you're going as far as Petit Jean to stretch it on up and go up to Mt. Magazine - but that may be a whole 'nother vacation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 07:16 AM
JPD JPD started this thread

12,138 posts, read 18,253,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
If you're headed from Pinnacle to Petit Jean, take Hwy. 10 to Hwy. 9 and follow on up to Petit Jean - it is a beautiful drive, much more interesting than the interstate. Of course, I would recommend if you're going as far as Petit Jean to stretch it on up and go up to Mt. Magazine - but that may be a whole 'nother vacation!
Is it equally scenic if we travel that route going the opposite direction towards Little Rock?

Thanks everyone for the tips. It looks like we're going to leave Clarksdale, Mississippi and go directly to Petit Jean. From there, we'll head to Little Rock. In Little Rock we're planning to bike across the Big Dam. Is it safe to assume there are bike rental places soemwhere near there?

Old 08-28-2012, 03:35 AM

Yes, of course it is equally scenic - it's a 2-land road for the most part! There are a few passing lanes, but that's about it. It is wooded and gently sloped in areas...just more relaxing.

I know of one bike rental in NLR and then this one - I believe if you book online you get a 10% discount:

Bobby's Bike Hike, Rentals

Good luck - we will be interested to hear all of your ventures. And if you're going I-40 to Morrilton, please try to avoid it from about 4:00-6:00. The traffic can be awful with the commuters. Just go slowly (you won't have much choice) and be careful. Around Conway, get over in the left lane if you can and stay there....helps avoid all the merging traffic.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Yes, of course it is equally scenic -
Well, sometimes the view while driving to something is beutiful, but the view driving away is crap.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:03 AM

Hey yall, just got back from my trip, and here's an update.

We spent four days in AR. Two in Petit Jean and two in Little Rock. You guys were right about eastern AR being desolate. We took state roads to get to Petit Jean (from Clarksdale, MS) and there was nothing but the occaisional gas station and heavy equipment dealer for what felt like an eternity. We finally found somewhere to eat in Hazen after driving through a lot of hard rain.

Petit Jean was beautiful. It is similar to Cloudland Canyon in NW Georgia, but has a lot of features that Cloudland lacks (the natural bridge and the huge boulders on the Bear Trail). Your state park system seems to be very well funded. Our cabin was pretty luxurious. We were lucky that it rained a lot on our way there. The waterfall was gushing and there was a temporary waterfall across the canyon from our cabin that had dried up by the second day. Very interesting to see that. The drive there was really beautiful. Thanks for the tip. (We decided to take the interstate to get to Little Rock. In hindsight, I would have gone back on 10 rather than the interstate.)

Little Rock is a little slower than we're used to, but we enjoyed our time there. We were impressed by the Clinton library and the river area. We didn't get to bike across the Big Dam Bridge, as planned. Too tired from all the hiking at Petit Jean, I guess. The Root served us our favorite meal in Little Rock.

Hopefully some day we'll get back to AR. We want to see Eureka Springs, Fayetteville, and more of the mountains.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:34 AM

So glad you had a nice time - please do come back and visit some other spots. If you're loving the scenery, Mt. Magazine is just gorgeous anytime of year. The view from the new lodge is spectacular, and there are places to rent that are very, very nice and not rustic in the least. And they have a waiting list a mile long...

Ask and ye shall receive - we will keep you off the interstate and looking at much better scenery. There's really a lot to see and do - may I recommend you come back in the spring and float the Buffalo? You ain't lived until you've floated! The fall is going to be iffy this year with all the drought, but the spring is always gorgeous.

Good to see a great review - spread the word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas