U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 09:27 AM
JPD JPD started this thread

12,159 posts, read 15,630,649 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm going to be in Memphis next month and I'm hoping to make it to Arkansas. I've never been to your state, and I might not have a lot of time to visit. What are some good things to see in Arkansas that are within a two hour drive of Memphis?

Thanks!

JPD from Atlanta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 11:10 AM

697 posts, read 2,717,678 times
Eastern Arkansas isn't exactly awash with interesting tourist destinations, unless you're particularly interested in agriculture. Aside from a few moderately sized towns, most places are dead or dying -- agriculture requires less labor than in the past, and the clothing, shoe, and other light manufacturing industries that provided most of the non-agricultural jobs through most of the 20th century have mostly moved overseas, leaving little economic activity outside of health care in many places. So people who have the option to do so move away.

The landscape is (aside from Crowley's Ridge) as flat as you can imagine, with the vast majority of it cleared for fields, so it's not really scenic. There's plenty of hunting and fishing if you're into that, but not much in the way of other outdoor recreation. Village Creek State Park near Wynne, about an hour west of Memphis, located on Crowley's Ridge, has hiking and equestrian trails, a couple of lakes with boat rentals available, and 27 holes of golf. Parkin Archeological State Park preserves a Mississippian-era (~1000-~1550) Native American village with a platform mound on the St. Francis River, and also has exhibits related to the area's history as a timber-producing region in the early 20th century.

If you're a blues fan, you may want to make your way down to Helena, an old river town that has been home to the King Biscuit Time radio show on KFFA since November 1941, making it the longest-running radio program in history. The show is now broadcast from the Delta Cultural Center in Helena, each weekday from 12:15 to 12:45 pm. The Delta Cultural Center also offers a variety of exhibits on the region's culture, including the permanent Delta Sounds exhibit. This article describes pretty well what Helena has to offer as a destination for visitors.

Otherwise . . . there's a lot in Eastern Arkansas that's interesting in the context of the history of the area but isn't particularly prepossessing unless you already know the backstory, a lot of places where photographers can get those great shots of interestingly decaying buildings and such, you can get the most delicious strawberries (for a few weeks in late spring) and watermelons (in the summer) in the world (seriously, I've never been able to acclimate myself to supermarket strawberries after growing up on Woodruff County strawberries), and great duck hunting in the winter and fishing year round (particularly if you're fishing for food, not for tropies), but beyond that, with the best will in the world and with 20+ years of growing up there and another 130 years of family history in that part of Arkansas, I can't come up with a lot more that I think would be of interest to visitors. There's a reason we usually blow through quickly on our way to visit my relatives (who, now that my grandmother passed away, are all up in the hilly parts of the state, for all the reasons mentioned above).

Old 08-23-2012, 11:49 AM

8,262 posts, read 16,774,267 times
Hardy Arkansas is worth a visit. Great fishin!

Old 08-23-2012, 02:12 PM

2,457 posts, read 6,519,092 times
If you have an interest in archeology there is the Toltec Archeological State Park near the community of Parkin. About 25 miles on west I-40, then about 12 miles north on State Highway 75. It was probably De Sotos first contact with Arkansas Indians and at that time was a fortified community on the St Francis River with mounds, walls, and a moat. They have a museum, media center, and paths to see what it was like.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:00 PM

364 posts, read 1,156,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Hi all,

I'm going to be in Memphis next month and I'm hoping to make it to Arkansas. I've never been to your state, and I might not have a lot of time to visit. What are some good things to see in Arkansas that are within a two hour drive of Memphis?

Thanks!

JPD from Atlanta
As a native of the Arkansas Delta(east Arkansas), I can assure you that there is nothing there worth visiting. Jonesboro is the only city in that part of the state that isn't dead or dying, and it's just a college town and not exactly a tourist destination. If you find the time, travel about 2 hours west to Little Rock for a decent Arkansas experience.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:18 PM

103 posts, read 229,588 times
Little rock is a gem. Go to pinnacle mountain (probably didn't spell it right lol.) it is beautiful and the river market is nice as well.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:09 AM

Thanks for all the info. Pinnacle Mountain sounds good. We're thinking of doing some hiking, so that'd be pefect if we have time to make it there and back. Helena looks great, but we're already booked to stay in Clarksdale Mississippi, so we'll probaly be blues'd out by the time we get to Arkansas.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all the info. Pinnacle Mountain sounds good. We're thinking of doing some hiking, so that'd be pefect if we have time to make it there and back. Helena looks great, but we're already booked to stay in Clarksdale Mississippi, so we'll probaly be blues'd out by the time we get to Arkansas.
If you're willing to go as far as Little Rock (which is a little bit outside the "two hours outside of Memphis" you mentioned originally, especially to get to Pinnacle Mountain, which is on the far west side of LR), there's a lot more possibilities. The Clinton Presidential Library in LR is definitely worth a visit, as are the Historic Arkansas museum complex (both are downtown, just a few blocks apart, with the bustling River Market district in between, which also includes the Witt Stephens Central Arkansas Nature Center. The River Rail Streetcar trolley line runs between the River Market district on the LR side of the river and downtown North Little Rock. The Big Dam Bridge would be on the way out to Pinnacle Mountain, and is something unique to LR -- a pedestrian bridge nearly a mile long built on top of an existing lock and dam complex across the Arkansas River. The bridge also connects to around 20 miles of additional scenic riverside trails in LR and NLR.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackensack View Post
If you're willing to go as far as Little Rock (which is a little bit outside the "two hours outside of Memphis" you mentioned originally, especially to get to Pinnacle Mountain, which is on the far west side of LR), there's a lot more possibilities. The Clinton Presidential Library in LR is definitely worth a visit, as are the Historic Arkansas museum complex (both are downtown, just a few blocks apart, with the bustling River Market district in between, which also includes the Witt Stephens Central Arkansas Nature Center. The River Rail Streetcar trolley line runs between the River Market district on the LR side of the river and downtown North Little Rock. The Big Dam Bridge would be on the way out to Pinnacle Mountain, and is something unique to LR -- a pedestrian bridge nearly a mile long built on top of an existing lock and dam complex across the Arkansas River. The bridge also connects to around 20 miles of additional scenic riverside trails in LR and NLR.
Wow, great stuff. It's looking like we'll have more free time than I thought to check out AR. Petit Jean State Park is on our potential itinierary. That would allow for a visit to Little Rock as we make our way back to Memphis.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Wow, great stuff. It's looking like we'll have more free time than I thought to check out AR. Petit Jean State Park is on our potential itinierary. That would allow for a visit to Little Rock as we make our way back to Memphis.
Petit Jean is a great place for hiking, camping, etc. If you like to take pictures there are some great waterfall locations and other scenic views. Of course, if you're going that far, you're also not too far from Hot Springs, Scenic Highway 7 up through Jasper, and a host of other scenic outdoor opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas