U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-13-2019, 09:35 PM
 
5 posts, read 1,943 times
Reputation: 20

Advertisements

Kathryn, Bobcat, I am wondering if either of you ended up moving to the Village and can share an update on your experiences? My husband and I are both in our 30's, have a new baby, and are planning on relocating to the Village this Spring from Oregon. My parents relocated there recently and love it. We will be able to pay cash for our house, be close to family, and look forward to all of the outdoor recreation the Village has to offer. But I must say, I am also worried about fitting in, the distance to city amenities, the cultural shock of moving to the south from the west coast, and ability to find jobs. I think the positives outweigh the potential negatives for us, but I would be curious how others have experienced these things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-14-2019, 06:46 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
52,338 posts, read 41,134,431 times
Reputation: 73202
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsomewhere2019 View Post
Kathryn, Bobcat, I am wondering if either of you ended up moving to the Village and can share an update on your experiences? My husband and I are both in our 30's, have a new baby, and are planning on relocating to the Village this Spring from Oregon. My parents relocated there recently and love it. We will be able to pay cash for our house, be close to family, and look forward to all of the outdoor recreation the Village has to offer. But I must say, I am also worried about fitting in, the distance to city amenities, the cultural shock of moving to the south from the west coast, and ability to find jobs. I think the positives outweigh the potential negatives for us, but I would be curious how others have experienced these things.
Hello!

No, my husband and I eventually decided against moving to HSV. For us, it felt too isolated. Also, for us, in Texas, there was nothing to gain financially and in fact, it would cost us about $7000 to $10,000 more a year to live in Arkansas in HSV.

Don't get me wrong - it's a beautiful area and clearly works great for a lot of people. It can make a lot of financial sense as well for some folks, just not for us.

We visited my parents often when they lived there. Eventually they decided to move back to Texas too though, mainly because of the better medical facilities which they both needed. But it was a sad move for them because they loved HSV and I could see why. The people are super friendly and the other amenities are good, considering. That being said, it was still a pretty long jaunt to Hot Springs or Little Rock for shopping, medical stuff, other entertainment, etc. And they were too far away from us - we were their main care givers and support so to speak - and when we decided HSV wasn't for us, they knew that if they were going to rely on our help (which they did) they needed to move closer to us (which they also did). Prior to their move, not only were they pretty isolated from top notch medical specialists, they were also a five hour drive from us. So it just didn't work out.

That being said, I know they missed living there, and frankly, I missed visiting them there because the area is gorgeous and like I said, the people there are so friendly.

There are younger families living in HSV but be prepared - most folks living there are retirement age. Expect a big culture shock. It would have been a culture shock for my husband and me too, and we are in our fifties and don't have small kids and already live in the South (NE Texas). Arkansas, especially in the Ouachita and Ozark Mountains, is a whole different flavor for sure. Not a bad flavor, just a different flavor. Let me know what you decide to do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2019, 10:31 PM
 
5 posts, read 1,943 times
Reputation: 20
Kathryn, thank you for sharing your experience. I lived in a rural part of the Ozarks briefly as a kid but have spent the rest of my life on the west coast. That was a big culture shock, and I remember Hot Springs being a fun city. We attended church in the Village for awhile too. My husband went out for a quick visit when we first started getting serious about this idea, and I booked myself a flight today so I can go out and see my folks in their new place and see the Village as an adult. So, we'll see. We have our house up for sale and know that we'd like to live cheaper and be closer to family. I hope this works out for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2019, 05:28 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
75,590 posts, read 88,318,961 times
Reputation: 46411
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsomewhere2019 View Post
Kathryn, thank you for sharing your experience. I lived in a rural part of the Ozarks briefly as a kid but have spent the rest of my life on the west coast. That was a big culture shock, and I remember Hot Springs being a fun city. We attended church in the Village for awhile too. My husband went out for a quick visit when we first started getting serious about this idea, and I booked myself a flight today so I can go out and see my folks in their new place and see the Village as an adult. So, we'll see. We have our house up for sale and know that we'd like to live cheaper and be closer to family. I hope this works out for us.
sounds like you have a good plan. Keep us posted and yes, living here is a lot less expensive than the west, more peaceful and more relaxed. We do not live in HSV, after looking at both we decided on Bella Vista. They were developed by the same company and are very similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2019, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Isanti County, Minnesota
3,291 posts, read 4,883,575 times
Reputation: 4554
I saw this thread again and initially thought Kathryn had changed her mind and was relaunching efforts to move to HSV. Got excited there for a second (I have to live vicariously through folks who are moving to AR )!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2019, 03:55 PM
 
Location: Hot Springs Village, AR
316 posts, read 342,965 times
Reputation: 364
Keep in mind that we have one of the last Wal Marts that is NOT 24 hours here "in" the Village. The restaurants all close by 9pm, some earlier. I would think that younger folks would get bored pretty quickly here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2019, 06:04 PM
 
9,979 posts, read 18,168,610 times
Reputation: 11050
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsomewhere2019 View Post
Kathryn, Bobcat, I am wondering if either of you ended up moving to the Village and can share an update on your experiences? My husband and I are both in our 30's, have a new baby, and are planning on relocating to the Village this Spring from Oregon. My parents relocated there recently and love it. We will be able to pay cash for our house, be close to family, and look forward to all of the outdoor recreation the Village has to offer. But I must say, I am also worried about fitting in, the distance to city amenities, the cultural shock of moving to the south from the west coast, and ability to find jobs. I think the positives outweigh the potential negatives for us, but I would be curious how others have experienced these things.
HSV is a great retirement community, but I would question whether you want to raise a kid there. My inlaws lived there for many years (they recently moved to assisted living.) I don't think I ever saw anyone younger than me there, and I'm almost twice your age. LOL.


I can't even imagine what kind of employment you could find there, except for something in the services industry maybe. Senior or pet care, handyman, etc.



I do get the appeal of paying cash for a home and having your in-laws nearby. Those are big pluses. But I think kids should be around other kids and I don't think you'll find too many there. Look into the schools for sure. Any extracurricular activities for your kid when he/she gets older? Personally I think you and your spouse would be bored to tears there. Maybe try Phoenix for cheap housing, nice weather (Ok, it's hot half the year), but much more urban and a good job scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2019, 06:58 PM
 
9,979 posts, read 18,168,610 times
Reputation: 11050
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
HSV is a great retirement community, but I would question whether you want to raise a kid there. My inlaws lived there for many years (they recently moved to assisted living.) I don't think I ever saw anyone younger than me there, and I'm almost twice your age. LOL.

I can't even imagine what kind of employment you could find there, except for something in the services industry maybe. Senior or pet care, handyman, etc.

I do get the appeal of paying cash for a home and having your in-laws nearby. Those are big pluses. But I think kids should be around other kids and I don't think you'll find too many there. Look into the schools for sure. Any extracurricular activities for your kid when he/she gets older? Personally I think you and your spouse would be bored to tears there. Maybe try Phoenix for cheap housing, nice weather (Ok, it's hot half the year), but much more urban and a good job scene.
Ok, after speaking with my wife who's spent a lot more time there with her parents than I have, plus she's more open and level headed, I'm going to revise my previous answer to the following. "Hell no." Don't move there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2019, 07:47 PM
 
5 posts, read 1,943 times
Reputation: 20
Wow, thanks for all the responses! With a little one, I am not out past 9pm anymore anyway! I have seen statistics that there are about 1,000 children living in HSV, and I know there is a daycare there too so I am guessing there are a decent number of younger families. But I know the median age is 68. It's nice to have a balanced community. Nowhere is perfect, but I think HSV could be a good fit for me at this point in my life. I am looking forward to my visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2019, 09:05 PM
 
9,979 posts, read 18,168,610 times
Reputation: 11050
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsomewhere2019 View Post
Wow, thanks for all the responses! With a little one, I am not out past 9pm anymore anyway! I have seen statistics that there are about 1,000 children living in HSV, and I know there is a daycare there too so I am guessing there are a decent number of younger families. But I know the median age is 68. It's nice to have a balanced community. Nowhere is perfect, but I think HSV could be a good fit for me at this point in my life. I am looking forward to my visit.
Cool! Keep us posted!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:53 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top