U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 08:55 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,739,247 times

Advertisements

Be safe, everyone - Isaac looks to be an impressive overnight visitor.

This from a weather service broadcast:

Since Isaac is forecast to move from south to north across Arkansas, that means the worst weather will occur to the east of the track, placing most of Arkansas in the vulnerable area. Maximum rainfall amounts are forecast to exceed 7 inches.

For this afternoon and tonight, the tornado threat will encompass much of Arkansas, but the favored area will be the southeastern quarter of the state.

As for winds, 20 to 30 mph with gusts to 40 mph or so seems like a good average. Winds may be somewhat less in northern Arkansas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 10:52 AM

75,590 posts, read 88,318,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Be safe, everyone - Isaac looks to be an impressive overnight visitor.

This from a weather service broadcast:

Since Isaac is forecast to move from south to north across Arkansas, that means the worst weather will occur to the east of the track, placing most of Arkansas in the vulnerable area. Maximum rainfall amounts are forecast to exceed 7 inches.

For this afternoon and tonight, the tornado threat will encompass much of Arkansas, but the favored area will be the southeastern quarter of the state.

As for winds, 20 to 30 mph with gusts to 40 mph or so seems like a good average. Winds may be somewhat less in northern Arkansas.
I know we are supposed to get slammed tomorrow and maybe Sat as well. Tonight is supposed to be thunder storms. Let's all hope we get enough rain to help the drought, but let's not ask for more than we absolutely need. Remember it is said: be careful what you ask for???

Old 08-30-2012, 12:49 PM

2,457 posts, read 6,519,092 times
I've been watching live radar off and on and see several holes developing in the system, but there will still be heavy rain on top of some of us, then clear for a while, then hit again. Here in west L.R. our rain started @ 1:15, heavy for a while then slacked off. It was one of the outer bands of the system, but the heavier rain should be here soon.

A team of us are gong to west Clark County Monday to do some archeology work and the man I'm riding with commented on the possibility the roads may be washed out. I told him I didn't care if we had to use 4WD all the way in as long as we got rain .

Old 08-30-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
I've been watching live radar off and on and see several holes developing in the system, but there will still be heavy rain on top of some of us, then clear for a while, then hit again. Here in west L.R. our rain started @ 1:15, heavy for a while then slacked off. It was one of the outer bands of the system, but the heavier rain should be here soon.

A team of us are gong to west Clark County Monday to do some archeology work and the man I'm riding with commented on the possibility the roads may be washed out. I told him I didn't care if we had to use 4WD all the way in as long as we got rain .
according to what I am seeing here, we should get hit about 8am tomorrow morning. I am sure we will have a little rain this evening. Isn't it amazing, the sky is completely blue right now and I can't believe we will get a huge storm. Boy does mom nature have a funny way of doing things.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:29 AM

It was NOT the event we were expecting, although our transformer blew long before the heavy rain. and was out for a good while. Still drizzly in the River Valley - nice and cool. Looks like it will heat up over the next few days, though.

Grateful for no flooding, but if it will keep up a nice steady rain for the next day - hey, we'll take it.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:50 PM

It looks like it has stopped raining here, but may start up later. It was, as you said, a nice steady rain. I am hoping tomorrow isn't bad for the first tailgating of the year. We won't be going this time: Pat fianlly finished his radiation, is doing fine, but believe it or not, he was playing ball with the neighbors dog and slipped on the gravel. Not only did he break 2 ribs he ruined his favorite shorts...

Old 08-31-2012, 02:38 PM

10,063 posts, read 10,240,102 times
Did you get the rain you needed? Much of Arkansas has been in a severe drought!

Old 08-31-2012, 05:52 PM

2,457 posts, read 6,519,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Did you get the rain you needed? Much of Arkansas has been in a severe drought!
I think the rain was pretty well all over the state with some flooding in the southeast part. It wiped out the rice and soybean farmers who still had stuff in the field. Here in west Little Rock we got 3 1/2 inches between 1:15 yesterday afternoon and 7:00 this morning with about 2 inches of that coming after midnight. It was a blessing for many but not for the flood victims and some of the farmers. Our prayers are for them.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It looks like it has stopped raining here, but may start up later. It was, as you said, a nice steady rain. I am hoping tomorrow isn't bad for the first tailgating of the year. We won't be going this time: Pat fianlly finished his radiation, is doing fine, but believe it or not, he was playing ball with the neighbors dog and slipped on the gravel. Not only did he break 2 ribs he ruined his favorite shorts...
Poor Pat! - so glad to hear he is through with his radiation, though....sorry you are missing the tailgating. Hoping the rain perked everything up your way.

Too bad the wind didn't blow hard enough to get rid of the mosquitoes. I swear they will carry me off the deck one day (no small feat).

Old 08-31-2012, 07:38 PM

3,391 posts, read 6,316,939 times
Nita, I'm so sorry to hear about your hubby's injuries (as well as missing the tailgating I know you love!). And Sam, my sympathies for your mosquito situation - maybe you're too dingdanged sweet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or