Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2012, 02:00 PM

450 posts, read 2,055,680 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a property listed for sale that includes the entrance to what is called "Singing Waters Cave". It is just west of Hasty. The claim is that there is a year-round spring coming out of the cave. Does anyone know about this cave or spring? Any information on Hasty would be appreciated. I am looking for a retirement place. I know it is isolated. Is it a beautiful area? I am familiar with Harrison and Yellville but have not had much contact with the Boston Mountain area. Thank you.

Kurt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 05:59 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Don't know about this cave, but Hardy is in north-central AR, a beautiful area with many caves, springs, and spring-fed rivers and creeks. It's a largely rural area, popular but underutilized by tourists, with lots of outdoor recreation opportunities: camping, fishing, boating, canoeing, etc. Arkansas is blessed to have many beautiful caves - Blanchard Springs Caverns probably is the most spectacular.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:26 AM

92 posts, read 229,819 times
I think the poster is asking about Hasty over in Newton county.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:46 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
Hasty, from what I remember, is just a spot in the road, although I will grant you, it is an exceptionally beautiful road! They do have a Post Office, and they used to have a small store, but that's about it, I think.

There is a road that cuts through from Hasty over to Hwy. 74E that goes on into Jasper, and it crosses the Buffalo River at a low-water bridge (it's called the "Low-Water Bridge Road"). That is the access point of the Buffalo that is called the Hasty access.

And of course Hwy. 123, that goes through Hasty, eventually hits Hwy. 65 that goes on into Harrison, which, in my opinion, is a nice town. On my Arkansas Atlas it looks about 10 miles from Hasty to Hwy. 65, and from 65 on into Harrison looks about 12-15 miles. Ten miles on small, curvy, Hwy. 123 is longer than 10 miles on most roads, though. Hwy. 65, though, on into Harrison, is nice and wide and fairly straight.

Your land could be miles from Hasty on any side, though, based on my experience looking at that kind of land for nearly 30 years. It could also be pretty remote, hard to access (although even the dirt roads are pretty good in Arkansas), and have no utilities. Newton County, though, in my opinion, is hands-down one of the most beautiful areas of Arkansas, and my personal favorite.

Google street view is available on Hwy. 123 through Hasty, remote as it is....take a look and drive around!

Last edited by Luvvarkansas; 09-10-2012 at 09:25 AM..

Old 09-10-2012, 08:58 AM

Well, I found your property on Trulia, and I see that there is already a house there, which means utilities already in place. Boy, those sure are some messy people living in that house, aren't they? Can't see the house for the clutter, although it appears that it's pretty nice under all that stuff. I couldn't tell exactly where it was from their map, though, and google maps never can find "HC" addresses. I've seen a lot of them around Jasper and was just dying to know where they were without having to actually contact the realtor!

One thing I noticed, though, is that it seems that the road leading in appear to cross the creek at one point....that can cause real problems unless you have a bridge....at least a low-water one. And if all you have is a low-water one, you can be stuck at home for days during a rainy period, unless you have a monster truck.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:54 PM

Smile Crossing the creek

Thank you for actually finding the place, Luvvarkansas! You make an excellent point concerning the creek! I had experienced that problem when visiting a property south of Yellville, but sorta forgot about it in regard to the Hasty property. Yeah, the place is messy. I understand it belongs to a man who was in bad car wreck and can't keep the place up. My primary interest is in the spring that apparently comes out of the cave. The owner insists it is year-round but the pic of the mouth of the cave does not appear to indicate a flowing stream, although it may be concealed. The realtor insists it is year-round, but I can't really ask more questions as he said, "You really have to see it for yourself." I am in Pensacola, Florida, working and can't get away until the Christmas break here at the college.

How far are you away from the general area? If you would be willing or could find someone to check it out further I would be willing to pay alittle something for the time and effort. I don't mean to put you on the spot with a solicitation, so please ignore it if not appropriate.

There is an actual map of "Singing Waters Cave" in one of the pics. But I just can't find anyone who has heard of it. Perhaps, you know a caver who has some incite? Thanks again

Kurt Grussendorf
Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by Kimballette; 09-10-2012 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: Not wise to post your email address on an internet forum.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:22 PM

Kurt, I am a loooong way from there....I've just been to Jasper a lot over the past 20 years or so, and drove through Hasty once when we were going to Jasper from Hwy 65. My mom actually has a cabin in Arkansas now, but not in that area. Just hang around here a little longer and I'll bet someone will show up who could help more than I can.

I feel sorry for the owner who had the car wreck....it's hard to let go of dreams.

You might want to try contacting Tim Ernst, who lives over in the Boxley area on Cave Mountain. He is a professional photographer who grew up in the area and now tromps all over it, taking pictures. He has an online journal that is fun to read. He's very friendly and will respond to emails readily. Here is a link to his journal site:

current journal

He is on a trip out west right now and won't be back until Sept. 15th or so, and will have a lot of emails when he gets back, so if he takes a while to respond, that will be why. You can find a "contact us" link at the top of that page I gave you the link to.

Someone else who knows a lot about the area and the wilderness around there is a realtor there in Jasper, Edd French. Here is a link to his web site:

Buffalo River Real Estate

Good luck!

Old 09-10-2012, 07:04 PM

Smile Thanks, Luvvarkansas! Hope I hear from a caver.

I have e-mailed Tim and Edd. I told Edd that I had learned about the property from realtor Robert Cole so he would not step on any professional toes if he decides to investigate the property. Mr. Cole just left it at: "You really have to see it for yourself" when I asked more questions. So, I just need someone to maybe tell me that the spring really flows out of the cave year-round and maybe get a pic of that. Tim's pictures are beautiful. I think I will be corresponding with him as well. Thank you again.

Kurt

Old 09-11-2012, 10:00 AM

Be sure to come back and let us know anything you find out, Kurt. If you buy the place, we may meet someday....my brother, husband, and son love to go into wild caves!

Robert Cole is very nice, I've found, but not one to like to answer lots of questions, at least not by email. I'm not sure about Edd...I've met him, but only once. My mom was around him a little more than I was (she looked for property in the Jasper area before finding her cabin) and says he is a little different...he came there from somewhere else (and seems like it wasn't anywhere in Dixie!) so he is not a "native", although he has been there long enough now that he is probably considered a "local". He could have changed greatly in the years since Mama dealt with him, though, as he has spent all that time around the locals, and he may be more outgoing and expressive now, like southerners. LOL

As for the spring flowing year-round...it's possible, I know, as there is a spring near my mom's cabin that flows out of a pipe in the ground all year long. We caught some water from it into an empty Dasani bottle on one trip, brought it home, watched it for a couple of weeks....never any sediment settled at the bottom, scum formed at the top, nothing...just clean, pure water! Anyway, the flow of "your" spring may slow to a trickle in dry summers, but it is possible that it would flow all year long. I'm not saying that it is probable, just that it is possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas