U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-13-2012, 03:46 PM
 
438 posts, read 1,368,922 times
Reputation: 322

Advertisements

I recently found out that Arkansas's minimum wage is lower than federal minimum wage and I was shocked because I thought all states paid at least the federal level.

I also found out that if you receive tips in Arkansas your wage can be as low as $2.15 as long as tips bring your wage up to minimum wage. So I want to know how common is this for waiters to get paid the $2.15 + tips? Is this standard practice or do some waters get higher pay with tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-13-2012, 03:52 PM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,849 posts, read 31,396,636 times
Reputation: 22457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf View Post
I recently found out that Arkansas's minimum wage is lower than federal minimum wage and I was shocked because I thought all states paid at least the federal level.

I also found out that if you receive tips in Arkansas your wage can be as low as $2.15 as long as tips bring your wage up to minimum wage. So I want to know how common is this for waiters to get paid the $2.15 + tips? Is this standard practice or do some waters get higher pay with tips?
It's like that everywhere. In Branson, I doubt that you will find a server that gets higher than $3 a hour. If you get into a really "high end" restaurant, you might find a little higher wage. Also, agricultural employees don't have to be paid minimum wage either.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2012, 04:37 AM
 
Location: The Great State of Arkansas
5,981 posts, read 16,739,247 times
Reputation: 7618
I second what 20yrs has to say. I'd be surprised anywhere to find waitstaff making over $2.15/hr. Maybe Ashley's - past that - it is what it is, that's what you get. You'd be lucky to find an independent restaurant offering health insurance or any other job perks; that's pretty much for the big chains. As for everyone else, it's $7.25/hr. as long as there are 4 employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2012, 06:49 AM
 
Location: Boydton, VA
2,857 posts, read 3,528,354 times
Reputation: 5505
As long as there are people willing to work for those wages, the employers have no incentive to raise wages.

Regards
Gemstone1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2012, 09:42 AM
 
Location: The Great State of Arkansas
5,981 posts, read 16,739,247 times
Reputation: 7618
This isn't the place for a debate about the federal limit for minimum wage, but I've waited tables. Never made $2.15 per hour. I'm sure it happens from time to time, but if you're a wait person and it happens often you need to find another line of work.

As far as what people will work for - I am quite sure there are those out there without any job at all in Arkansas who would be thrilled with $7.25/hr.

That is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2012, 11:34 AM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,849 posts, read 31,396,636 times
Reputation: 22457
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
As long as there are people willing to work for those wages, the employers have no incentive to raise wages.

Regards
Gemstone1
It has been my personal experience that if you are an exceptional employee that your employer is more than happy to compensate you well to keep you. If they do not, then you always have the option of moving on to an employer who does *or* changing your career to something that offers higher wages. It's not like the wait staff is shackled to the tables at IHop or Golden Corral, you know.

Most people who work for tips either do an *excellent* job so that they get high tips, or get a second job or constantly gripe and complain about how they never have any money because they are underpaid. The ones who gripe are the ones who don't bother putting in the extra effort to do a good job. I meet them every day of the week. They are the ones who get your order wrong, forget to bring you the ketchup, don't keep your drink glass filled up, are too busy texting or talking on their phone to even ask..."Is everything alright?" or "Can I bring you anything else, sir", spend most of their time talking to co-workers, etc. Frankly, at $2.15 an hour, they are overpaid.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2012, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Table Rock Lake
971 posts, read 1,245,881 times
Reputation: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
It has been my personal experience that if you are an exceptional employee that your employer is more than happy to compensate you well to keep you. If they do not, then you always have the option of moving on to an employer who does *or* changing your career to something that offers higher wages. It's not like the wait staff is shackled to the tables at IHop or Golden Corral, you know.

Most people who work for tips either do an *excellent* job so that they get high tips, or get a second job or constantly gripe and complain about how they never have any money because they are underpaid. The ones who gripe are the ones who don't bother putting in the extra effort to do a good job. I meet them every day of the week. They are the ones who get your order wrong, forget to bring you the ketchup, don't keep your drink glass filled up, are too busy texting or talking on their phone to even ask..."Is everything alright?" or "Can I bring you anything else, sir", spend most of their time talking to co-workers, etc. Frankly, at $2.15 an hour, they are overpaid.

20yrsinBranson
Just curious, what percentage of your bill would you consider being a high tip?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2012, 02:23 PM
 
12,436 posts, read 10,675,286 times
Reputation: 3148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluff_Dweller View Post
Just curious, what percentage of your bill would you consider being a high tip?

Thanks.
15% is standard. Anything above that would be a high tip. I usually tip 20% because I waited tables when I was young and I know how difficult it can be sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2012, 02:34 PM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,849 posts, read 31,396,636 times
Reputation: 22457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluff_Dweller View Post
Just curious, what percentage of your bill would you consider being a high tip?

Thanks.
Well, having been a server myself in my youth, if the service is good, I will always give a minimum of 20% on a bill of $20 or more; but never less than $5. Even if the bill is only $7.99 I will still give someone (who deserves it) $3 dollars, which I believe is more than 30%. My husband and I who go often to Ruby Tuesday and have made friends with a couple of the wait staff there will leave $10 tip on $35 - $40 tab every time.

I have, however, left without leaving a tip at all if services warrants it. Fortunately, this is a rare occurrence. And I *never* blame the server if the idiots in the kitchen totally screw everything up. As long as he/she catches it before it gets to the table.

ETA: Oh, and if I ask a server how they are and they say... "Better than I deserve"...then I give them a very large tip. It's a Dave Ramsey thing... LOL

I know that it is tough work and I appreciate very good service.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2012, 04:22 PM
 
Location: The Great State of Arkansas
5,981 posts, read 16,739,247 times
Reputation: 7618
I'm standard on 20%, more if the service warrants. The days of 10% are long gone (unless you are waiting on my father). And amen, hotair2 - people don't realize it isn't the brain dead who are waiting tables. It takes some mental AND physical coordination and agility to keep it all going on, and a waitperson's job usually starts long before you sit yourself down in the booth and they will be there long after you leave.

I'm all about some hard work and a lot of life lessons I learned, I learned waiting tables. It can be a profitable way to make a living if you're good at it. You don't even think about the $2.15/hr. if you're working it and you're good - sort of a non-player.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:10 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top