U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 02:18 PM

2,181 posts, read 5,831,969 times

Advertisements

I live in Colorado and the medical marijuana industry is an absolute joke here. ANYONE can get an MMJ card, and since it's technically illegal at the federal level, the medical marijuana shops here are very seedy, since it's not like you can walk in to Walgreens to get some. The thing is -- in theory, I support medical marijuana, but after seeing how much of a joke it is here, my opinion has changed. Basically, I smell it whenever I go for a walk and the shops are ALL over the place. Take that for what it's worth.

Last edited by cowboyxjon; 10-25-2012 at 02:26 PM..

Old 10-26-2012, 05:31 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,739,247 times
That's an important point, Cowboy - that MM is illegal at the federal level. While you may be somewhat protected within the confines of your state or city from intervention, it does NOT prohibit you from being charged at the federal level. Federal law considers ALL possession of MJ and distribution to be illegal. The NYTimes ran an article on this in June 2012 - CA dispensaries are closing up shop, and it is a largely unregulated industry there.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/01/us...pagewanted=all

In LA there were recent lawsuits regarding the shutdown of MM shops:

Los Angeles sued over crackdown on medical marijuana shops - Chicago Tribune

One argument being made is that it is difficult for one or two or three people to grow anything that even resembles medical grade marijuana. That would be a primary concern for me (in spite of my tongue in cheek post on grow lights in the bathroom), that Junior is "growing weed for grandma" in his shack. No he's not - and everyone would know that, but if grandma has a card and Junior has a card, then whatever he is growing is technically legal as long as there are 6 plants or less.

What is "limited immunity" for a nonprofit dispensary?

Lots of questions regarding this issue, but yes - still illegal under federal law. Therefore, I would assume Medicare and most insurance would not cover this (and that is strictly an assumption, someone else may have the facts) - Medicaid? Who will bear the brunt of the cost for this venture, and how? What happens to "drug free workplace", and how would this affect workers' compensation laws?

It is a very interesting topic. I could talk myself out of it pretty quickly - and I may, since I see no hard and fast facts and figures to go with the proposed law.

All that being said - it will never pass. NEVER. Until the Southern Baptist Convention endorses it, at least.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:36 AM

12,436 posts, read 10,675,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I live in Colorado and the medical marijuana industry is an absolute joke here. ANYONE can get an MMJ card, and since it's technically illegal at the federal level, the medical marijuana shops here are very seedy, since it's not like you can walk in to Walgreens to get some. The thing is -- in theory, I support medical marijuana, but after seeing how much of a joke it is here, my opinion has changed. Basically, I smell it whenever I go for a walk and the shops are ALL over the place. Take that for what it's worth.
I too have lived in Colorado, and I remember the terrible tax problem the state had there until it became legal.

For Arkansas, the legalization of medical marijuan will have several benefits. First and foremost it will allow those suffering from cancer to have access to something that may help them. There are also financial benefits to the state such as increased tax revenue. The tax revenue generated could be huge.

I fully support the bill. It is going to happen. It is just a matter of when.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:53 AM

2,181 posts, read 5,831,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I too have lived in Colorado, and I remember the terrible tax problem the state had there until it became legal.

For Arkansas, the legalization of medical marijuan will have several benefits. First and foremost it will allow those suffering from cancer to have access to something that may help them. There are also financial benefits to the state such as increased tax revenue. The tax revenue generated could be huge.

I fully support the bill. It is going to happen. It is just a matter of when.
What terrible tax problem did the state have then that doesn't exist now?

Either way, you are certainly entitled to a vote as a resident of Arkansas. I'm just sharing my experience from Colorado, which is that the industry itself is a major joke -- it was sold as something that would allow patients to have access to something else that may (or may not) help them, yet what it really is is just a way to legalize marijuana for everyone, since anyone can get a card. Some of the stores even have 'doctors' on-site and yes, I have friends who have cards because of lying about having chronic headaches and whatnot. It's a joke.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:05 PM

12,436 posts, read 10,675,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
What terrible tax problem did the state have then that doesn't exist now?

Either way, you are certainly entitled to a vote as a resident of Arkansas. I'm just sharing my experience from Colorado, which is that the industry itself is a major joke -- it was sold as something that would allow patients to have access to something else that may (or may not) help them, yet what it really is is just a way to legalize marijuana for everyone, since anyone can get a card. Some of the stores even have 'doctors' on-site and yes, I have friends who have cards because of lying about having chronic headaches and whatnot. It's a joke.
I can't really discuss tax issues in Colorado on an Arkansas thread. But if you argument is that some people who are not sick will get marijuana ....my answer is, SO? They are already getting it. The only difference is that the State does not get to tax and regulate it and honest, law-abiding, sick people in Arkansas don't have access to it.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:16 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,395,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I can't really discuss tax issues in Colorado on an Arkansas thread. But if you argument is that some people who are not sick will get marijuana ....my answer is, SO? They are already getting it. The only difference is that the State does not get to tax and regulate it and honest, law-abiding, sick people in Arkansas don't have access to it.
I agree

I'm sure it will be abused just like any prescription drug with recreational value is but I just don't really care that much.
Use some of that tax revenue to crack down on meth.

Last edited by ArkansasTgirl; 10-27-2012 at 01:32 PM..

Old 10-27-2012, 03:21 PM

75,590 posts, read 88,318,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyFeller View Post
I agree

I'm sure it will be abused just like any prescription drug with recreational value is but I just don't really care that much.
Use some of that tax revenue to crack down on meth.
In an idealistic world I would agree, take the tax money and put it to good use, but we do not live in a perfect world and this will never happen. Plus, add to the problem, it isn't even going to be by perscription: it is only a doctors recommendation. Anyone with any of the illenesses listed will be able to get it.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:18 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,395,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
In an idealistic world I would agree, take the tax money and put it to good use, but we do not live in a perfect world and this will never happen. Plus, add to the problem, it isn't even going to be by perscription: it is only a doctors recommendation. Anyone with any of the illenesses listed will be able to get it.
Yeah I know it's not by prescription, that's why I edited my original post.
I wasn't being completely serious about the meth thing.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:40 PM

5,981 posts, read 16,739,247 times
Well, it has to be by letter of authorization and not by prescription - most all pharmacies are for profit, which kicks the not-for-profit dispensary rule right in the tailbone. The other thing is that if it were prescription it would have to be dispensed by a licensed pharmacist. Pharmacists can only dispense medications approved by the FDA. Marijuana is listed as a Schedule 1 controlled substance, which are substances not considered legitimate for medical use, such as mescaline and heroin. As a Schedule 1, MM is not federally approved for medicinal use, therefore the FDA doesn't have regulatory powers, and therefore a pharmacist with it even in their pharmacy would be in direct conflict with federal law.

Lord. Don't put it in the pharmacies. There's enough problems with people wanting to buy cold medicine by the case....

Old 10-28-2012, 06:02 AM

3,744 posts, read 3,559,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Well, it has to be by letter of authorization and not by prescription - most all pharmacies are for profit, which kicks the not-for-profit dispensary rule right in the tailbone. The other thing is that if it were prescription it would have to be dispensed by a licensed pharmacist. Pharmacists can only dispense medications approved by the FDA. Marijuana is listed as a Schedule 1 controlled substance, which are substances not considered legitimate for medical use, such as mescaline and heroin. As a Schedule 1, MM is not federally approved for medicinal use, therefore the FDA doesn't have regulatory powers, and therefore a pharmacist with it even in their pharmacy would be in direct conflict with federal law.

Lord. Don't put it in the pharmacies. There's enough problems with people wanting to buy cold medicine by the case....

Moderator cut: snip

This thread was about how destructive MJ has been to a community and state.. and how it negatively impacted the quality of life for people who did not participate in its use.. but were affected by it's use

Very few comments here addressed that... and most wanted to highlight its benefit as a drug...I rarely if ever hear MJ proponents ever talk about the damage it does to communities,,, just their personal ability to get high or get their "medicine"

If it is in fact deemed to be a medicine.. then let it comply with all the necessary requirements as one... so that the rest of the world doesnt have to be changed

Last edited by Kimballette; 10-28-2012 at 07:07 AM.. Reason: Commenting on moderation is not permitted in the forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or