Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 08:22 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,160,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onceahogalwaysahog View Post
Voted down
With Washington (state) and Colorado voting for recreational pot I do wonder how long it'll stay illegal
I have to admit, I was surprised the vote was so close. For those supporters, a few changes is the article and we may see it legalized for medicinal purposes in the next 10 years, if not sooner. Now, as for Co and WA the question, according to the TV this morning is: will the law be overturned, seeing it is still against the law. Here is why I believe in states rights. No, I am not a proponent of pot, obviously, I am not a supporter of a lot of things, but I do feel these are laws that should be addressed by each state, not the feds.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:40 AM

369 posts, read 1,295,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
tech you are right, and I knew you or someone would pick up on this, but we are talking booze, being legal, then prohibition and then re-legalized all in a very short period of time: Pot an Her have been illegal since way before any of us were even born..Plus MJ wasn't really legalized but it just existed...Regardless, as I said tech you are right...most do not see it quite this way. It is more complicated than that.
Let's say if all of a sudden the federal government made dandelions illegal... that's essentially what they did to marijuana. There was no reason to ever "legalize" it because it merely just existed in nature anyway.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Pulaski Player View Post
Let's say if all of a sudden the federal government made dandelions illegal... that's essentially what they did to marijuana. There was no reason to ever "legalize" it because it merely just existed in nature anyway.
oh for heaven's sake, there is no comparison. That is just a silly statement and you know it. Plus, if you would pay attention to what I am saying, you would see, I believe in states rights and I beleive if the voters vote to make something legal this is how it sould be. But, again, pot is not quite the same as dandelions. We are also talking about a law that was inactly many years ago. Have you seen one place where I have said Pot should not be legal? I did say, I didn't support the law and I have said I probably wouldn't vote for it to be legalized unless there were better controls. Now take time to really read what I wrote and then come back and challenge me again!!!!!!!

Old 11-07-2012, 12:42 PM

15 posts, read 36,654 times
Here's something interesting to think about - The difference in this measure passing or failing was about 2.8% (30,000 votes). In 2 years Arkansas will gain ~20,000 emigrants. Of those 20,000, a strong majority will be left leaning. Roughly 30,000 conservative elderly Arkansans will have passed away. On top of that, roughly 130,000 new voters, of which 110,000 would probably vote in favor of Medical Marijuana. If you add all of that up, and IF all of these new voters actually vote, MMJ could easily pass in 2 years.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsanda View Post
Here's something interesting to think about - The difference in this measure passing or failing was about 2.8% (30,000 votes). In 2 years Arkansas will gain ~20,000 emigrants. Of those 20,000, a strong majority will be left leaning. Roughly 30,000 conservative elderly Arkansans will have passed away. On top of that, roughly 130,000 new voters, of which 110,000 would probably vote in favor of Medical Marijuana. If you add all of that up, and IF all of these new voters actually vote, MMJ could easily pass in 2 years.
I don't know where you are getting your figures on how many immegrants will be settling in AR in the next 2 years? I don't think it will be anywhere near that many but if it is, a huge number will not be citizens so they will not be able to vote. The state is becoming more conservative by the day and the group of seniors is going down, so the actually think 30,000 elderly conservatives will die in 2 years is completely over the top. Add to that, there are liberals that voted against the bill and conservatives who voted for it. Now, where are you getting your figures of 110,000 new voters? You do realize a huge number of people moving to AR are living in NWA, which is the most conservative part of the state don't you. This is the corp center of AR and thus there are more conservatives than liberals...

Yes, legalized MJ will eventually pass and probably sooner than later, but 2 years? I think that is pushing it, unless some of the wording is changed...

Old 11-07-2012, 02:47 PM

15 posts, read 36,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I don't know where you are getting your figures on how many immegrants will be settling in AR in the next 2 years? I don't think it will be anywhere near that many but if it is, a huge number will not be citizens so they will not be able to vote. The state is becoming more conservative by the day and the group of seniors is going down, so the actually think 30,000 elderly conservatives will die in 2 years is completely over the top. Add to that, there are liberals that voted against the bill and conservatives who voted for it. Now, where are you getting your figures of 110,000 new voters? You do realize a huge number of people moving to AR are living in NWA, which is the most conservative part of the state don't you. This is the corp center of AR and thus there are more conservatives than liberals...

Yes, legalized MJ will eventually pass and probably sooner than later, but 2 years? I think that is pushing it, unless some of the wording is changed...
These numbers are by no means 100% accurate, but I feel like they're pretty good guesstimates.

1. Emigrants, not immigrants. Emigrants are people that migrate within the country (i.e. people moving from state to state).
2. I took the average yearly death rate in Arkansas and multiplied it by 2 (2 years). Then figured in the average life expectancy, and that's a rounded number of what I got, minus the number of senior liberals.
3. I actually said 130,000 new voters, 110,000 of which would vote in favor of MMJ. These 130,000 new voters are the states average of ~65,000 new 18 year old citizen each year multiplied by 2 (2 years).
4. I wouldn't consider Washington county as the "most conservative part of the state". Besides, the Little Rock metro grew 10,000+ people just like the NWA metro did last year.
5. I think it's obvious that more of your evangelical voters tend to vote against MMJ. A good chunk of evangelical voters in Arkansas are senior citizens.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:49 PM

4 posts, read 7,783 times
Prohibition - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

It most certainly isn't "making something illegal that was legal before."

Old 01-15-2013, 11:34 PM

16 posts, read 15,197 times
notmeofficer, I know I'm getting in on this conversation a little late but I think i have some good points about this issue, one of your reasons on why we shouldnt pass it was because violation of the federal law will always be a issue... just the simple fact that the feds will go in and bust a marijuana dispensary that was legally/democratically voted in by the states people should tell you something about who's running our government, whoever's making those decisions needs to smoke a joint and take a long hard look at themselves because there evil, I don't know how often that happens but if it continues its the peoples duty to see that it stops, enough people can change anything, another one of your reasons was that your area is infested with greedy dirtbags who rob and use violence to grow more and letting there kids trim and be exposed to it... theres scumbags and bad parents everywhere, and the reason those dirtbags came is because weed is still illegal in the majority of the states, if it wasn't, there would be no illegal market to sell to, the parents that let there children trim the weed and stuff like that is extremely stupid of them but theres nothing anybody can do about stupid people, there everywhere, and unfortunately sometimes they have kids, whenever i see a parent like that it breaks my heart too believe me, but a rational person would never let that happen, another thing is I firmly believe that the federal government should not be in our personal lives, they have no right to tell me that I can only use tobacco and drink, but the main reason I think all this is happening to california is because its in the early stages and people are just flippin out because its medically legal, I think we have to give it time, a couple generations need to grow up in it and after awhile it will become the norm, it won't even be a big deal, its a huge deal to people now because this harmless plant that people love has been illegal for so long, I'm sorry about whats happened to your community and I'll never know the full extant because I live in Arkansas, but I am so tired of watching really good harmless people go to jail because they were smoking weed, and I'm tired of watching sick people in gruesome pain when marijuana can help them be happier, and I'm tired of people getting labeled as criminals by society because they smoke weed, so next election I sincerely hope that we get that thing passed

Old 01-16-2013, 05:54 AM

mastesofwar3 brings up some good points. As long as it isn't legal at the federal level it will, most likely never be approved and used in AR. I also had an issue, which I have mentioned beforfe, about the wording: drop the part about growning in your yard and make it available only by percription I would support it. The article said, recommended by a doctor. My opinion, if it isn't legal at the federal level, a doctor can't very well wrtie a perscription for it cause that would be illegal as well.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:54 PM

16 posts, read 15,197 times
I agree with you about the growing part, after all i said i can't believe i forgot that, just one plant thats grown correct can produce pounds of marijuana, nobody really needs pounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
View detailed profiles of: