U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 01:00 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,484,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have seen what has happened in Ca, I have a lot of relatives still there. When it is sold in pill form, and with a perscription only (not just a recommendation from a doctor) I will support a bill, but not now. The argument, it isn't as bad as alcohol is a cop out. Whether it is or isn't, it still does damage and we have enough mind altering substances on the market now.

Nita
Prescription pills can be very mind-altering. Some can cause permanent brain damage, temporary insanity, anxiety, depression, anger, violence, suicide, maybe homicide, dozens of side effects, and 125,000 deaths a year. Cannabis side effects are usually fewer, more minor, & no deaths, over 120 medical conditions it can help often better than pills rxmarijuana.com/ Dr Lester Grinspoon, Harvard (ret).
Marinol pills (100% THC) get people high, cause panic, may not stay down if patient nauseated.

If you had about 20 medical conditions like me & got little (successful) help from Docs or Big Pharma, is there any chance you might feel different about this issue? 25% of Americans say they are in chronic pain (Time poll). I hope I haven't offended you. Best wishes.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:12 AM

6,413 posts, read 10,746,660 times
Quote:
mastesofwar3 brings up some good points. As long as it isn't legal at the federal level it will, most likely never be approved and used in AR. I also had an issue, which I have mentioned beforfe, about the wording: drop the part about growning in your yard and make it available only by percription I would support it. The article said, recommended by a doctor. My opinion, if it isn't legal at the federal level, a doctor can't very well wrtie a perscription for it cause that would be illegal as well.
Medical marijuana has been legal in Oregon since 1998. I'm not aware that it's caused great problem, other than a couple doctors who've been identified as writing disproportionate numbers of subscriptions. In fact, I have a grow co-operative across the street from me. They're great neighbors. You wouldn't even know they're there. I think the key is the regulation and enforcement of the program, just like most things. Lax regulation leads to abuses. In anything.

And I must admit, illegal marijuana got my grandmother through chemo thirty or forty years back. Thank god for it. It eased her death.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:43 AM

Quote:
I don't know where you are getting your figures on how many immegrants will be settling in AR in the next 2 years? I don't think it will be anywhere near that many but if it is, a huge number will not be citizens so they will not be able to vote. The state is becoming more conservative by the day and the group of seniors is going down, so the actually think 30,000 elderly conservatives will die in 2 years is completely over the top. Add to that, there are liberals that voted against the bill and conservatives who voted for it. Now, where are you getting your figures of 110,000 new voters? You do realize a huge number of people moving to AR are living in NWA, which is the most conservative part of the state don't you. This is the corp center of AR and thus there are more conservatives than liberals...

Yes, legalized MJ will eventually pass and probably sooner than later, but 2 years? I think that is pushing it, unless some of the wording is changed...

I wonder if Wal-mart was lobbying against MMJ? Seems they practically own NW AR. I read even their chambers of commerce have drug czars!

Old 01-17-2013, 02:26 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,739,247 times
Folks, we need to specifically hold this to MM in Arkansas...otherwise it will need to be moved to Politics and Other Controversies if it becomes a general debate. There are also any number of threads on the medical use of marijuana in the Health and Wellness forum.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Medical marijuana has been legal in Oregon since 1998. I'm not aware that it's caused great problem, other than a couple doctors who've been identified as writing disproportionate numbers of subscriptions. In fact, I have a grow co-operative across the street from me. They're great neighbors. You wouldn't even know they're there. I think the key is the regulation and enforcement of the program, just like most things. Lax regulation leads to abuses. In anything.

And I must admit, illegal marijuana got my grandmother through chemo thirty or forty years back. Thank god for it. It eased her death.

A Time poll said 25% of Americans are in chronic pain. It sounds like they probably aren't using MJ. But a sampling poll indicates 1 in 6 are using it.

It seems MT had the highest allowed in state MMJ programs at 3%? Then MT cut back on what/who was allowed & 4 year old Cash Hyde died from cancer after being without cannabis oil for at least 70 days.

The cannabis oil had helped him previously to withstand the standard "treatments" he had & enabled him to be cancer-free for awhile.

They kept sticking needles in him while he had no cannabis oil, & the cancer came back quickly, so the boy said no more needles. Police & coroner invited themselves in home, while extended family was grieving. Father was told he couldn't touch his boy until he went cold (died).

A man formerly living in Canada, Rick Simpson, spent his entire life savings of $1.3 million curing people with cancer & other fatal diseases by giving them cannabis oil. One man was 82, stage IV lung cancer (fluid in lungs). He was given cannabis oil & 3 months later he was cancer-free. But US told Canada to arrest Rick, so they said even with MMJ allowed, cannabis oil was illegal as it involved concentrating it. Rick was to be given a court-martial type trial, no testimony from doctors or patients.

Rick managed to flee to Europe, but you can still see his 58 minute video Run From The Cure on You Tube, or assuming his site is still up, phoenixtears.ca Best wishes to all.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:29 AM

75,590 posts, read 88,318,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
Prescription pills can be very mind-altering. Some can cause permanent brain damage, temporary insanity, anxiety, depression, anger, violence, suicide, maybe homicide, dozens of side effects, and 125,000 deaths a year. Cannabis side effects are usually fewer, more minor, & no deaths, over 120 medical conditions it can help often better than pills rxmarijuana.com/ Dr Lester Grinspoon, Harvard (ret).
Marinol pills (100% THC) get people high, cause panic, may not stay down if patient nauseated.

If you had about 20 medical conditions like me & got little (successful) help from Docs or Big Pharma, is there any chance you might feel different about this issue? 25% of Americans say they are in chronic pain (Time poll). I hope I haven't offended you. Best wishes.
Heavens no, you haven't offended me. Everyone has a right to their views and yours is based on personal experience. Many agree with you, my view will remain the same as it is now: as long as there is a part of a bill that allows it to be grown in a persons backyard I can not support it, but I do understand where you are coming from Yes, pills can be addicting and cause side affects, but so can the use of any drug and that is what pot is: a drug....How many people do most of us know that have gone on to stronger drugs by starting with pot or how many do we know that have devoted their lives to not much more than pot? Growing in your own property can lead to the above. I am sure, with the right research a pill can be developed that would control the pain you are talking about. Let's hope this happens in the near future. Right now, there are too many ways to misuse the weed by claiming I need it for medical reasaons. There was a letter to the editor of our paper just prior to the election addressing the issue. The writer said we should support the bill or article, as we call it in AR because it helped his wife gain weight..She had very little appitite and thus was very much underweight until she started using pot.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:32 AM

75,590 posts, read 88,318,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
I wonder if Wal-mart was lobbying against MMJ? Seems they practically own NW AR. I read even their chambers of commerce have drug czars!
No, they were not lobbying against MMJ, they were lobbying to get Benton county wet... and yes, they do pretty much contol NWA, they also do a lot of good for the community and our country overall. They are in the top 5 companies to give to charilty..but, this has nothing to do with the topic we are discussing.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:05 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,739,247 times
As this has already been voted on and won't come up again for a while, I have closed this thread. Thanks for your participation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or