Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 06:52 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,266,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
This thread was about how destructive MJ has been to a community and state.. and how it negatively impacted the quality of life for people who did not participate in its use.. but were affected by it's use

Very few comments here addressed that... and most wanted to highlight its benefit as a drug...I rarely if ever hear MJ proponents ever talk about the damage it does to communities,,, just their personal ability to get high or get their "medicine"

If it is in fact deemed to be a medicine.. then let it comply with all the necessary requirements as one... so that the rest of the world doesnt have to be changed

Quote:
In my county collectives are illegal.. although the City of Redding has allowed them... then realized it cannot violate federal law and outlawed them.

Now the feds are stepping in and closing large collectives statewide.. hoping to make an example and have others follow suit... which has only created lawsuit after lawsuit and federal prosecutions

Perhaps you would like to comment on the state where you live... so that people in Arkansas can make up their own mind.. benefited by your personal experience in your own state

Moderator cut: off topic
Quote:

The violation of federal law and states rights will continually be an issue.
Welp, that's what I was commenting on - federal law and dispensing by nonprofits versus pharmacists. I believe you may have kicked the door down for my comments with your own posts.

If you want to have a discussion on "does marijuana ruin a community", that's probably a P & OC topic - but you came to our state forum and asked for feedback from the residents. I'm a resident so I qualified immediately! And now you have my opinion, so I'm 2 for 2!

Do not misunderstand me - I would probably not vote for legalization of marijuana on a broad basis - but I also would not deny anyone any kind of relief from their suffering. It's not my place to decide if they are suffering, or suffering enough, or suffering appropriately, or if the infrastructure of the entire state of Arkansas will collapse under the weight of a vote. I'm speaking as a cancer survivor and a compassionate person - and oh yeah, the spouse of a pharmacist whose governing body (the Arkansas Board of Pharmacy) doesn't endorse this bill. And that's okay - we see the issue from different angles.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:45 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,084,844 times
mod cut
My post was about the destruction of the environment.. both socially.. and physically by the wide scale introduction of marijuana into a community... in my case a rural community that cannot handle it ...

Arkansas will face the exact same storm if MJ is approved... and this is echoed by several people who posted from locations other than Arkansas. The purpose of my post was for the residents of "your" beautiful state to look at issues other than just compassion... and to look at the quality of life that I get from many on this forum as a draw to such a beautiful state, and how looking at California and what has happened here that will allow them to make a more informed decision

"We learn about the road ahead by those coming back"

Thank you for allowing me to participate in this hot button issue... I will make no further comments on this thread

Last edited by Sam I Am; 10-28-2012 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: no, she probably told you commenting on moderator actions is against the Terms of Service

Old 10-28-2012, 09:12 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,865,579 times
Unless Arkansas has drastically changed since I moved away three years ago, this will never pass. And having moved from Arkansas to Colorado, where this stuff is all but legal, I hope it doesn't pass. I do think looking at the results and how each county votes on this one issue will be very interesting. Remember, Arkansas still has dry counties for liquor, there is no way anything related to legalizing drugs will pass. Are there commercials advocating the passage of this Act, like there are here? Well good luck to you, this is an interesting election year to say the least.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:01 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,944,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Unless Arkansas has drastically changed since I moved away three years ago, this will never pass. And having moved from Arkansas to Colorado, where this stuff is all but legal, I hope it doesn't pass. I do think looking at the results and how each county votes on this one issue will be very interesting. Remember, Arkansas still has dry counties for liquor, there is no way anything related to legalizing drugs will pass. Are there commercials advocating the passage of this Act, like there are here? Well good luck to you, this is an interesting election year to say the least.
Just anecdotal evidence, but I know a police officer in Arkansas who has had to go to Domestic violence calls. He said that he has investigated hundreds and in not one case has anyone ever got high on pot and beat his wife, conversely, in almost every circumstance alcohol is related. So just because a county is dry does not mean that they will not vote for medical marijuana. I doubt that it will pass THIS TIME, but it will eventually pass.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,233 times
Officer is making the EXACT same argument that big pharmacy is trolling all over threads on states where this issue is up for popular vote, and the industry who has the most to lose, so before you assume that Mr officer is actually officer MC friendly, think about the "possibility" that he is an associate of a pharmaceutical company making sure to cover their losses, I have no way to know if he is a man or woman, cop or criminal, remember that this is the internet, and people can be whoever they think is the most trustworthy sounding.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:03 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,159,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.patient.in.ar View Post
Officer is making the EXACT same argument that big pharmacy is trolling all over threads on states where this issue is up for popular vote, and the industry who has the most to lose, so before you assume that Mr officer is actually officer MC friendly, think about the "possibility" that he is an associate of a pharmaceutical company making sure to cover their losses, I have no way to know if he is a man or woman, cop or criminal, remember that this is the internet, and people can be whoever they think is the most trustworthy sounding.
Indeed. Since that particular member has been on City-Data since 2006, has hundreds of posts on different forums about a variety of topics, your conspiracy theory is rather thin. BTW, welcome to City-Data.

The topic of medical marijuana always brings out people passionate about the topic - on both sides. Some of these advocates have more credibility than others.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:33 PM

3,886 posts, read 4,537,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.patient.in.ar View Post
Hmmm... I dunno,

Myself I'm from So. Cal, and just took a look at this topic and when the Officer said he was from Redding, it caught my interest. I just recently got back from visiting my brother in Redding, and he was telling me the forests are full of MJ growers lately, many illegal and scary and he doesn't want to come across any of them. So I think the Officer is legitimately concerned.

BTW, it's a tough one... who doesn't have sympathy for a cancer victim suffering from side effects? Seems there should be a better way though for these tough cases.

However, it may be too easy now, and folks who don't really need it, or shouldn't have it are getting it, at least here in Ca.

We had a neighbor a few years ago living downstairs from us and she was trouble enough with her drinking. She was in the middle of a law suit because of a car accident, and somehow was able to obtain MM.

All of a sudden we were smelling pot in our apartment, and she started wearing this stupid wool hat with a big sparkly MJ leaf on it... it was beyond ridiculous! She thought she was so cool or something, but she just became more obnoxious!

The real yukky thing about it though was all these "new friends" that were in an out of her apartment and they were downright scary. We were getting very very nervous about that!
Well, thank goodness she got her self evicted. Neighbors called the police enough times on her for disturbing the peace. Granted she was a piece of work to begin with but the MM she had put her over the top!

Oh well, that just one little anecdote, but it didn't leave me impressed with the MM situation as it currently stands in California.

Be careful out there!

Old 11-03-2012, 08:29 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,169,321 times
I've smoked quite a bit of mj in my earlier years. I gave it up years ago. I'm a teacher now. Drug users make lousy parents. Making it legal won't change that. I voted against it today.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:26 AM

1,205 posts, read 2,688,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
I've smoked quite a bit of mj in my earlier years. I gave it up years ago. I'm a teacher now. Drug users make lousy parents. Making it legal won't change that. I voted against it today.
Sounds like you are talking about recreational use. Would you still be against it if it was actually limited to people who are literally dieing of diseases like cancer or aids?

Old 11-05-2012, 05:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyFeller View Post
Sounds like you are talking about recreational use. Would you still be against it if it was actually limited to people who are literally dieing of diseases like cancer or aids?
I think what the question here is, what controls will there really be? I think people have to be somewhat familiar with the Ca situation to understand. There was a letter in the paper yesterday, from a supporter who talked about a friend of his who had trouble keeping weight on because of a small appitite. When she finally was able to smoke pot (this is here in AR) her appitite picked up. So now, he thinks pot should be perscribed for peoplle who have a problem with their appitite. it is not going to be despenced via a perscription, but just a recommendation by a doctor. I have complete sympathy for those who have used it truely for medical reasons, and when someone in really suffering or dieing whatever helps is ok with me, but unfortunately, until it avaiable in pill form and is given by perscription only I have to continue to vote against it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
View detailed profiles of: