Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 10:23 PM

33 posts, read 400,065 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I would like to know how I will be treated in Arkansas. I am from Eagan Minnesota. Please let me know.
Thanks!
Chris Flynn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2006, 11:04 PM

79 posts, read 422,891 times
Depends where you move to in the state. If you move to Little Rock or where a lot of outsiders are moving in (northwest Arkansas, the Ozarks), you wouldn't have a problem. Same would probably go if you moved to Marion. But, in some rural places or small towns you maybe would meet some folks who don't care for outsiders, especially those north of the Ohio River or north of southern Missouri.

Old 07-23-2006, 01:05 AM

795 posts, read 2,298,653 times
Arrow Moving on

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynncj
Hello,I would like to know how
Thanks! Chris Flynn
When I was 7 the family moved some 35 miles from Charleston to Midland. I did not feel accepted for over 25 years. Times have changed, people have changed. I just visit from time to time so I do not know how it would be for and “outsider” these days.
One thing I love about south - there are fast jets going west.
Best of both worlds.

Old 07-25-2006, 10:47 AM

33 posts, read 69,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynncj
Hello,
I would like to know how I will be treated in Arkansas. I am from Eagan Minnesota. Please let me know.
Thanks!
Chris Flynn
Are you Caucasian? If the answer is "Yes," I don't see why you would worry much, unless you're moving to a town with two digit number of people.

Old 07-28-2006, 04:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,792 times
Smile Small towns

Arkansas's motto used to be Land Of Opportunity, it still could be called that. But we have lived in the same small town since 79 and are still considered "outsiders". But I love Arkansas and can't imagine living anywhere else.

Old 07-29-2006, 02:32 PM

795 posts, read 2,298,653 times
Default Arkansas's motto used to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug473
Arkansas's motto used to be Land Of Opportunity,
Arkansas's motto used to be Opportunity Land and some folks would change that to POOR LAND on the auto license plates by beating out the letters not needed and one p tail.

Old 07-30-2006, 02:20 PM

4 posts, read 48,739 times
Red face I agree with jmstiger

It definitely depends on where you move. There is an Air Force Base in Jacksonville, so people in the area have become accustomed to 'foreigners' (people who live in another county), but other communities may not be so receptive. Arkansas is its own culture -- its own mindset. If you are coming here because you want to be here, chances are you'll be just fine. Buy a pickup truck, a shotgun and a few chickens. Pretty soon you'll feel right at home!

Old 08-01-2006, 08:18 AM

954 posts, read 4,377,487 times
Wink Often depends on how much you hate where you are from

While I never lived in Arkansas, I did live in TN and NC for 17 years. I grew up in Michigan, so have a Midwestern perspective on the subject.
I could never acclimate to the Southern Culture. When people would ask where I was from and I told them Michigan they would invariably say, "well, thats a good place to be from." Emphasis From. I just couldn't feel that negative about Michigan. I didn't leave MI because I hated it. It was my work that took and kept me South. However the people I knew from up north who seemed to acclimate to the South were people who really disliked where they were from. They were looking for something fundamentally different and liked and embraced the different culture (pick-up trucks - chewing tobacco - rebel flags and all). In fact I knew a guy who was originally from my home area and he would wear a rebel flag tie. Obviously he had made the transition.
I also think that other posters have given good advice. The larger the town the easier you will find the transition. The farther afield the more latent North South animosity.
Good luck but be careful.

Old 08-07-2006, 04:43 PM

5 posts, read 50,808 times
Default where can you go where everyone is going to like everyone else?

I'd like to know where in the world you can go where everyone is going to like everyone else? Chances are if you are open and friendly in a sensible way, you will get some who will respond positively and some negatively. You will get that same result in every state in the union. I moved from California to the south east. I've lived in GA, AR and TN. I've met a few racist in the south east, unfortunately, but I met a few in California too. I've met with some unfriendly people, But for the most part people are friendly enough.

Old 08-07-2006, 07:27 PM

5 posts, read 46,090 times
It depends on how you treat others. Most people in Arkansas are really laid back and can get along with all types.

removed

Last edited by Marka; 08-08-2006 at 01:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas