Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2006, 11:50 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times

Advertisements

We are planning on spending some time in Ok. in about two weeks. I've already heard comments about Eureka Springs, Ar. being the fave town of a few people. It wouldn't be that far out of our way to visit there since we'll be in the eastern part of OK. They have pics of it on the detailed profile and it does look pretty. I understand that it's a tourist town. (Learned that from the info you folks have given here) What is there to see or do in Eureka Springs? Is it in the Ozarks? Any info will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2006, 03:19 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
Hi Jammie! I hope you get to go there. It IS indeed in the Ozarks. The drive up there is beautiful.

It's full of cool shops and restaurants.

I was told by locals it is very difficult to find a place to live in Eureka Springs, or even work unless it's service or tourist industries, but many people live right down the hill from it a few miles in small towns one direction or the other outside of E. Springs.

The cool thing is, if you end up around Tulsa, you could head up there pretty regularly.

Old 09-30-2006, 04:36 PM

68 posts, read 174,611 times
Default Eureka Springs

Hi, I just moved from Tulsa to SC, boy do I miss Tulsa...but anyway Eureka Springs is beautiful, Christ of the Ozarks, Glass Chapel, Ride the Trolleys around town, Victorian Houses, Train Rides thru the mountains, also beautiful lakes close by, get a travel brochure, (It's called the Swiss Village of the Ozarks) but go to Eureka Springs, it's only about 2 hours from Tulsa...

Old 09-30-2006, 07:00 PM

Hi Griff, I think you're one of the people that I was referring to who suggested Eureka Springs. Someone on a Tulsa forum and one or two people on the OK board here said it was so nice there.

We've hopefully allowed ourselves enough time to go to Eur. Springs since it's not that far of a drive, especially since it won't be too far from Grove, also.

Ashley, thank you for the info. I'm sorry that you miss Tulsa. Maybe you'll end up back there some day? What part of SC do you live in? We went to Myrtle Beach last Sept. It's ok there, but I was definitely allergic to something.

Old 09-30-2006, 11:33 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
Jammie, are you going to be able to hit Tahlequah on your trip?

Old 10-01-2006, 07:09 PM

Griff, I think we will end up in Tahlequah. It depends on how much time we actually spend in the Tulsa area. The nearer the time gets, the more we're thinking that the population of Tulsa and the metro area may be more then we'll be accustomed to. (Actually, the traffic since we don't know our way around) I understand the population with metro is nearly a million people. Our entire state only has three fourths of a million.

We're putting together an alternative vacation or a Plan B just in case we aren't comfortable with the size of Tulsa. I work with a gal who has a sister who works in Tahlequah and she said it's a very nice town. Do you recommend it?

In case we need plan B, we hope to visit Davis in southern OK since it looks like it has beautiful scenery. On the return north, we'd like to slip into Ark. and see Eureka Springs. We'd also like to visit Ponca City since Sooner suggested it. I found a couple pics of it and it looks very nice. And of course, Grove would be a definite stop. Would Tahlequah be worth visiting, too?

Old 10-03-2006, 03:59 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,916,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
We are planning on spending some time in Ok. in about two weeks. I've already heard comments about Eureka Springs, Ar. being the fave town of a few people. It wouldn't be that far out of our way to visit there since we'll be in the eastern part of OK. They have pics of it on the detailed profile and it does look pretty. I understand that it's a tourist town. (Learned that from the info you folks have given here) What is there to see or do in Eureka Springs? Is it in the Ozarks? Any info will be appreciated.
Eureka is in the heart of the Ozarks. The town itself snakes around the sides of "mountains" (we call our hills mountains). For years, Eureka boasted that there were no stoplights in the city limits, because there were no square intersections.

There are all sorts of tourism opportunities there, which you can pick up off their website. If you enjoy a trip back in time, Eureka is definitely the place. A fascinating mix of people, too---

Old 07-30-2007, 10:39 AM

5 posts, read 30,264 times
There's a LOT to do in & around Eureka Springs -- outdoor sports, Passion Play, food, shopping, atchitecture, flora, fauna, attractions & entertainment. Call the Chamber of Commerce at 479/253-8737 or visit their website to request info.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:47 PM

23 posts, read 92,175 times
If you have a BIG car or an SUV, park at the Trolley Depot on the Highway and ride the Trolley. If you are staying overnight, there are trolley stops near all the major motels and hotels and you can avoid paying to park.

The speed limits are usually 10 - 15 MPH in most of the town and not more than 35 on the highway. The terrain merits this and I don't mind it a bit.

When I move to Eureka Springs someday, I will buy the resident trolley pass and not drive except when I am leaving town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
View detailed profiles of: