U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 05:40 PM

10,983 posts, read 9,150,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighorn911 View Post
Can anyone recommend any RV parks worth staying out for the areas mentioned? We too have three little ones, so definately family-friendly places would be a plus.
I believe Petit Jean State Park has a campground - check their website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 12:54 AM

106 posts, read 154,775 times
I enjoyed day hiking at Petit Jean, Mt Nebo, and Mt Magazine. I really enjoyed the lodge at Mt Magazine. I mt biked around Mena and the Ouachitas, too, There's a nice lodge at Queen Wilhelmina State Park, too. Mt Magazine is my favorite. That Ernst book should really help you out.

Happy Trails,

MtMtnMan

Old 11-21-2012, 09:31 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,739,247 times
Are you wanting speed or scenery?

Coming in on I-30, I'd do one of two things - either keep following 30 and 40 west until you get to Morrilton and getting off at Hwy 9 there - plenty of signs to get you to the park. That's speedy and pretty boring but 4 lane all the way - and try not to do it at 5:00.

The other way might be to come in on I-30 and take the 430N route - go to Cantrell Rd., which is Hwy. 10, and turn west (left). You will be in west Little Rock almost to Chenal. Keep on going on Hwy. 10 until you get to Hwy. 9 at Morrilton. This is the scenic route and will take you through Bigelow and Roland, right outside of Little Rock...then Williams Junction, which is literally a corner store...then on up through Perryville and Perry. There are some gorgeous vistas through there, lots of trees. It is 2 lane a lot, 4 lane a lot - but you would get to see more of the natural topography in the area and it's really a relaxing drive. The 4 lane areas are simply for passing log trucks - it in no way resembles an interstate.

Hope that helps!

Crud - I just realized I'm late to the party, Campeador - but I do hope you are enjoying yourself...maybe the directions will help someone else, if they help at all. I'm somewhat directionally challenged. I can get you there, I just don't know how I do it :-0

Last edited by Sam I Am; 11-24-2012 at 01:27 AM..

Old 11-21-2012, 02:46 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,359,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Are you wanting speed or scenery?

Coming in on I-30, I'd do one of two things - either keep following 30 west until you get to Morrilton and getting off at Hwy 9 there - plenty of signs to get you to the park. That's speedy and pretty boring but 4 lane all the way - and try not to do it at 5:00.

The other way might be to come in on I-30 and take the 430N route - go to Cantrell Rd., which is Hwy. 10, and turn west (left). You will be in west Little Rock almost to Chenal. Keep on going on Hwy. 10 until you get to Hwy. 9 at Morrilton. This is the scenic route and will take you through Bigelow and Roland, right outside of Little Rock...then Williams Junction, which is literally a corner store...then on up through Perryville and Perry. There are some gorgeous vistas through there, lots of trees. It is 2 lane a lot, 4 lane a lot - but you would get to see more of the natural topography in the area and it's really a relaxing drive. The 4 lane areas are simply for passing log trucks - it in no way resembles an interstate.

Hope that helps!

Crud - I just realized I'm late to the party, Campeador - but I do hope you are enjoying yourself...maybe the directions will help someone else, if they help at all. I'm somewhat directionally challenged. I can get you there, I just don't know how I do it :-0
Yes, I posed that question at the last minute... too late really. We made it here to Petit Jean just fine via 30 then took HWY 70 to 9 to 154. It was especially scenic the last hour; it took us 6 hours total from Fort Worth. We've hiked down to Cedar Falls and just finished the seven hollow's loop. It's been great. Exactly what we were looking for.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:16 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,359,584 times
I just wanted to say thanks to all you for your advice. Petit Jean was a great place to spend a few days hiking. We also enjoyed the luxury of the Mt. Magazine lodge on our last day. The indoor pools with huge windows looking out over the valley below was worth the pricier lodging. My 2 year old was in heaven.

We'll be back to the natural state, though probably in April/May/early June when there's more water running in the creeks. I was surprised by how dry things were. I suppose all of the photos taken for the state park websites and other promotional materials are during the wet and green season. The reds, oranges and yellows of the fall foliage were nice at Petit Jean (already down at Mt. Magazine), but I am really fond of the sound of running water when I hike, so I think spring/early summer will be even better.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:47 PM

5,981 posts, read 16,739,247 times
Glad to hear you had a good visit, Campeador...and you're right, things are terribly dry, but Arkansas has had two pretty severe drought years in a row. It normally is not THIS dry. It's a bit unnerving for everyone. It was extremely hot this summer and the fall hasn't been as pretty as we had hoped because of the drought. But there's always next year :-)

Consider leaving the kiddo or at least putting a half dozen life vests on him and floating the Buffalo. It is an incredible journey and there are hiking trails everywhere if you can drag yourself away from the water. The bluffs are just spectacular. As the time gets closer, ask again and everyone can weigh in on their favorite spot to float. You won't be disappointed.

If you have any pictures to post there's a picture thread on the main page of the Arkansas forum, or you can tag 'em up here...we always like to see what's new and see it from someone else's perspective.

Again, glad you had a good time, and welcome to Arkansas.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:48 AM

4,817 posts, read 7,092,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post
I am really fond of the sound of running water when I hike, so I think spring/early summer will be even better.
Then you must hike the Lost Valley trail in spring. I wish it wasn't so much trouble (for me, probably not for others!) to post pictures, because I have some good ones of our spring hike there....the water was running like gangbusters, and it is truly an unbelievable place when that is happening! Seriously, it's like fairy land.

I'd bet you could find some pictures on google images or some videos on youtube.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:01 PM

2,457 posts, read 6,519,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtMtnMan View Post
I enjoyed day hiking at Petit Jean, Mt Nebo, and Mt Magazine. I really enjoyed the lodge at Mt Magazine. I mt biked around Mena and the Ouachitas, too, There's a nice lodge at Queen Wilhelmina State Park, too. Mt Magazine is my favorite. That Ernst book should really help you out.

Happy Trails,

MtMtnMan
Wilhelmina is shut down for remodeling. Will be down for a while but I don't know how long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas