U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2012, 11:22 AM

14 posts, read 9,606 times

Advertisements

Hey there, everyone. First post here but this seemed like a nice board to help me with my inquiry. OK, let me just lay it straight: I'm contemplating a move to Arkansas in 2014 (I want it to be sooner but I'm bringing my mother with and we want to wait until after my sister [who we have to pay the wedding for] is married...and guess when she wants to get hitched?) I really liked the state when I drove through there for a few days between Philadelphia, PA and Austin, TX. Unfortunately I've never done a move this massive before and sort of want to make sure everything is set up before I go out there.

First and foremost, I want to make sure I have the right location picked out for the move (since I know I have to get a job there and set up shop wherever I end up). As it currently stands, I'm sort of torn between Little Rock and Texarkana, both with their advantages and disadvantages:

-Little Rock is one of the major metropolises and fairly close to Hot Springs (which I loved when I visited there but seems a bit out of the way of the major interstate to live), plus has a small Jewish population (Jewish culturally and mom wants to keep connected to her religion). It does seem a bit out of the way from anywhere else though outside Hot Springs.

-Texarkana doesn't have the Jewish population from what I read, but is closer to Austin (where we can visit family), as well as a few other cultural hubs such as the NW corridor (don't want to move there cause I'm about as anti-Wal-Mart as you can get), Dallas and a few other places. I rather live in Arkansas since I'm not the biggest fan of a lot of what Texas pulls...even if Austin is awesome.

I know the stuff regarding the job and everything else will come with time but I want to at least get my feet wet for my possible future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 01:00 PM

5,981 posts, read 16,739,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangerAtaru View Post
-Little Rock is one of the major metropolises and fairly close to Hot Springs (which I loved when I visited there but seems a bit out of the way of the major interstate to live), plus has a small Jewish population (Jewish culturally and mom wants to keep connected to her religion). It does seem a bit out of the way from anywhere else though outside Hot Springs.

-Texarkana doesn't have the Jewish population from what I read, but is closer to Austin (where we can visit family), as well as a few other cultural hubs such as the NW corridor (don't want to move there cause I'm about as anti-Wal-Mart as you can get), Dallas and a few other places. I rather live in Arkansas since I'm not the biggest fan of a lot of what Texas pulls...even if Austin is awesome.

I know the stuff regarding the job and everything else will come with time but I want to at least get my feet wet for my possible future.
I'm not real sure what you're wanting here - Since Little Rock is in the very center of the state, I wouldn't say it's removed from anything, but equidistant from everything outside the immediate area. That's the nice way of looking at it! If you're saying it's far from NWA or Eureka or Memphis, well...yep...but we have no plans on relocating LR at this time We laugh and say you can't go anywhere without going through Little Rock.

Texarkana is nowhere close to NWA - Little Rock is much closer and a much easier drive. I'd be guessing on the Jewish population but I would say yes, there is probably a greater number in Little Rock than Texarkana. That's just a guess, I surely don't know.

What kind of foot-wetting can we help you with? Not sure what type info you're needing.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
I'm not real sure what you're wanting here - Since Little Rock is in the very center of the state, I wouldn't say it's removed from anything, but equidistant from everything outside the immediate area. That's the nice way of looking at it! If you're saying it's far from NWA or Eureka or Memphis, well...yep...but we have no plans on relocating LR at this time We laugh and say you can't go anywhere without going through Little Rock.

Texarkana is nowhere close to NWA - Little Rock is much closer and a much easier drive. I'd be guessing on the Jewish population but I would say yes, there is probably a greater number in Little Rock than Texarkana. That's just a guess, I surely don't know.

What kind of foot-wetting can we help you with? Not sure what type info you're needing.
Right now I'm just trying to figure out the best place to look into and then try to find a way of getting the right connections there before I move out there eventually.

When I said that about NWA, I mostly said it because of the image in my head. Texarkana is just a drive along the border to the NW area, but as I said it also is a few hours from Dallas (I drove pretty easily from there to Dallas when I drove out there before veering towards Waco) and seems to have a bit easier access to culture. Little Rock is great and has culture as well but I sort of like having a variety of places for things to do. Honestly I'd love to just go to Little Rock and it feels like the best bet of the two, but there could be a third or fourth option and I just want to figure out my eventual options before I start looking for a job and a home and whatnot. (I have time as I said)

Old 11-29-2012, 12:23 PM

2,457 posts, read 6,519,092 times
You write that Texarkana is "just a drive along the border to NW area". That's correct, but the drive is a and U.S. Highway 71 is long and crooked in many stretches. With a major move as you imply, the only way you can get your "feet wet" is to spend a week in some of the towns you are considering and take a good look around. Just searching the Web, and getting our opinions, really tells you very little. I may love Little Rock and plan to stay here for the rest of my life, but John Blank may hate it and will move out the first opportunity he gets.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:52 PM

I've been to both Little Rock and Hot Springs and love it. (I like Hot Springs but the way off the interstate is a bit tough since you have to stretch away for a moment to reach the town and it doesn't quite feel as direct as a lot of the roads back east) May also try to drive through the state a bit when I take my next vacation down to New Orleanes (gonna be driving along the Mississippi side of the river for the trip and thinking maybe going along the Arkansas side of the river until I'm ready for the actual part of the trip.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:50 PM

2,457 posts, read 6,519,092 times
You write that a Jewish population is important to your Mom. You may Google "Congregation B'nai Israel Little Rock AR" and find their Web Site. Or call them at 501-225-9700, tell them your situation, and I'm sure they will give you advice and insight of the chances, + or -, of Little Rock meeting your needs and wants. Good luck and come on over to The Natural State . You will be welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or