Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2008, 11:55 AM

43 posts, read 295,433 times

Advertisements

where in Arkansas is the best place for cattle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 01:41 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,757,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgal0919 View Post
The Ozarks. There's probably a good bit of cattle farming in the Ouachitas as well. I grew up on a 200+ acre cattle farm in Boone County. Most all farming there is cattle.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
The Ozarks. There's probably a good bit of cattle farming in the Ouachitas as well. I grew up on a 200+ acre cattle farm in Boone County. Most all farming there is cattle.
do you know if the land is high? what county is it?
thanks

Old 03-19-2008, 02:16 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,757,854 times
Quote:
do you know if the land is high? what county is it?
thanks
Well, I'm not too sure what land is going for these days. I'd check out the following Ozarks counties for some cheap(ish) land: Carroll, Boone, Searcy, Madison, Marion. I'm sure there are plenty of other counties that would be suitable as well.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
Well, I'm not too sure what land is going for these days. I'd check out the following Ozarks counties for some cheap(ish) land: Carroll, Boone, Searcy, Madison, Marion. I'm sure there are plenty of other counties that would be suitable as well.
thanks. I have seen some in Madison county. It is a beautiful place. Nothing looks like that around here in west tx!

Old 03-26-2008, 02:34 PM

6 posts, read 32,069 times
We live in Carroll County and raise cattle and horses on 55 acres. We are retired (?) and didn't want to take on too much. Ofcourse we have many friends that have much larger operations. Most of them cut and bale their own hay for winter use and with the larger acres, they can rotate the cattle around too. Being there are so many chicken and turkey growers all over the northwest Arkansas and Missouri area, the cattlemen fertilize the fields with the litter. Many of the chicken growers also raise cattle, therefore being able to use their own litter and save some money. Well, maybe in the long run, I should say. You would at least have to buy a spreader truck and a tractor with a front loader. Others arrange to buy the litter and someone else spreads it on the fields. My husband is a machanic, working out of his home shop, which gives us the opportunity to "trade off". The pastures grow pretty well except for the very hot months when we aren't getting the rain as often. Sometimes we have to tap into our winter supply when the fields are dry...usually July and August...so we always buy more than we think we will need to make it through until the next Spring. If we get snow or ice for any extended period, we feed extra heavy or put out more hay since the cows can't graze as well and also during that time they tramp it into the wet ground, poop on it and lay on it....even if you use the hay rings for the round bales. A person can never have too much hay. We keep a lot in the barn and cover the rest. We feed the outside hay first and if there is any left over in the barn, it's good to go for next year. We are starting to get some warm weather and since the weekend, the fields are starting to green up. Not growing up yet but green. We are putting out hay about every other day or so and have opened up a good pasture for grazing. If you get out of the "Ozark area" and go East, the land is at a lower altitude. It's more humid and then you get away from pastures and into row crops. I would agree with the gentleman who suggested the various counties to check. Realators often times are raising cattle themselves and may be a good source of information.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:28 AM

5 posts, read 17,428 times
I have done this around Monett and Purdy MO.....the land is not near as cheap as it used to be but, still cheaper than Oklahoma where we live now....If you want to raise cattle....you do NOT need to "own" the land....most times it is cheaper to lease it on a "cost per head per day" basis, around here, (Hooker Oklahoma) I can lease for anywhere between 25 cents and 40 cents per day per head (head refers to 1 cow/calf unit). We own a house and 20 acres and lease an additional 400+ acres at different times during the year. I might also mention, there are a lot of financeing options out there for a beginning farmer. FSA (Farm Service Agency) funded thru USDA is an excellent source for people who would not qualify for a conventional loan. The rate is 1.125% for an Operating Loan which can be used to buy the cattle and 3.125% to purchase the homestead. Oklahoma is a great state to start a small business having some of the cheapest start up costs of anywhere! Good Luck with your new venture....I would be glad to discuss further if you are truely interested
mod cut

Last edited by Sam I Am; 02-05-2013 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: Sorry - that's considered advertising - posters may DM you for info

Old 02-05-2013, 08:48 AM

5 posts, read 17,428 times
I would be interested on any thoughts concerning the "best place" in America to raise beef cattle, taking into consideration, land cost, hay cost, water, and sell market?

Old 02-05-2013, 09:52 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Quote:
Washington or Madison County. Fayetteville has a pretty good size sale barn. Might want to check out those two places.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:15 PM

154 posts, read 679,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Fayetteville has a pretty good size sale barn.
The sale barn in Fayetteville is gone ... that area is now 'The Grove' - university student housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
View detailed profiles of: