U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 11:14 PM

285 posts, read 903,224 times

Advertisements

I left out a word, a very imporant one:

There are *no* restrictions on cutting trees on a lot with a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 07:31 AM

75,590 posts, read 88,318,961 times
op, I think JeffA is our authority on HS and HSV. He seems to always have the honest scoop on the area. MY opinion, and it just that, an opinion, HSV is very much like Bella Vista, designed and developed by the same company and yes, there are some restrictions on what you can and can not do, it really makes the community a great place to live...oh, and stories about kids laughing is a little exaggeration. Anyone can sue or calls the cops for anything, but whether action is taken or not is a different story..

Nita

Old 01-18-2013, 05:01 PM

8 posts, read 17,325 times
I just closed on a home in HSV a few days ago, and frankly, I'm glad for strong deed restrictions. Coming from the Houston area, where deed restrictions are a rarely-enforced joke, even where they exist, it makes a difference in property values. A few years ago a fellow across the street from me bought 2 lots next to each other and built 3 homes. The HOA decided it wasn't worth the effort to stop construction. Get real! They're nice houses, but they DON'T meet the qualifications for the land he built them on, and now there is a precedent for someone else's abuse. The next person might not put up nice homes.

Down the street there was a hovel that was in poor condition for years. It was directly across the street from the HOA office, so they certainly knew about it. It was like pulling teeth to get anything done. The house was eventually remodeled, but that was after a couple of years with a huge hole in the siding, tree down in the front yard, roof damage, garbage all over, and all kinds of other eye sores. Think THAT didn't affect property values? Anyone wanting to buy a home in the neighborhood HAD to see it, because it was also across the street from the subdivision swimming pool, tennis courts, playground, and marina (this is a lake community). I certainly would have bypassed this neighborhood, which is generally a great place except for a few individuals like the two owners I mentioned.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:44 AM

427 posts, read 981,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffodildeb View Post
I just closed on a home in HSV a few days ago, and frankly, I'm glad for strong deed restrictions. Coming from the Houston area, where deed restrictions are a rarely-enforced joke, even where they exist, it makes a difference in property values. A few years ago a fellow across the street from me bought 2 lots next to each other and built 3 homes. The HOA decided it wasn't worth the effort to stop construction. Get real! They're nice houses, but they DON'T meet the qualifications for the land he built them on, and now there is a precedent for someone else's abuse. The next person might not put up nice homes.

Down the street there was a hovel that was in poor condition for years. It was directly across the street from the HOA office, so they certainly knew about it. It was like pulling teeth to get anything done. The house was eventually remodeled, but that was after a couple of years with a huge hole in the siding, tree down in the front yard, roof damage, garbage all over, and all kinds of other eye sores. Think THAT didn't affect property values? Anyone wanting to buy a home in the neighborhood HAD to see it, because it was also across the street from the subdivision swimming pool, tennis courts, playground, and marina (this is a lake community). I certainly would have bypassed this neighborhood, which is generally a great place except for a few individuals like the two owners I mentioned.
Welcome to the village. I have owned property here since 1998 and finally got to retire and move to HSV almost 2 years ago and absolutely love it, but I knew I would since I have been coming to play golf for some time.

I agree with your Houston assessment. I lived there for 4 years in the mid 80's and it seemed you could pretty much build anything, anywhere. You might wake up one day with a 7-11 as your next door neighbor.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:59 AM

Thanks, BT! I'm really excited, as this has been a 3 year-project to find the right location. We started with the Little Rock area, and discovered HSV about 2 years ago. We had very specific property requirements, which is why it took so long, and seriously considered building a new home before we found the one we bought.

I want to point out that we actually live now in a deed-restricted neighborhood, but that's only as good as the enforcement, which has been lacking!

Old 01-29-2013, 11:54 AM

46 posts, read 126,219 times
Smile Hot Springs Village is the Only Place to Live

We lived in Hot Springs Village for nine years. It was very nice: nice people , some teenagers (not a whole lot ) mostly retired people like us. It's a mixed bag. It has a Lot of natural beauty and you feel safe there-unlike downtown where you feel like racing back to the village at dusk. Hot Springs has a few very odd things that go on that won't be believed. First, you hear the phrase, "my house burned down" more often than you've ever heard it before. I don't know if it's revenge at work or some governmental advantage to it. This is in Hot Springs; not the village as it's called. The next thing I find odd are all the people in wheelchairs WHO I SAW WALKING AROUND at some point. Collecting disability in HSprings is as common as breathing. And, lastly, you will see men walking up or down the street with skin that has a GREEN cast to it. The Salvation Army and Goodwill stores are great , though. I've spent many hours looking at the bargains=sometimes reselling them on ebay. Then there is a huge gas station that looks like it needs a hot shower called The Dodge Store. This scary dump is A GOLDMINE for the owners. It's easy to find. They sell a ton of beer and the most Incredible eggrolls. They also sell fried chicken which I don't recall trying but man, those egg rolls were great. You can watch them putting some in a deep fat fryer. Just be sure and use an antibacterial wipe before you eat them and after you get gas. Next door to the Dodge Store is a small walk up place that sells amazing ice cream cones.
The main school, Fountain Lake, is amazing. It is the best looking school complex I've ever seen. The receptionist is the sweetest, most friendly person imaginable. There is a lot of school spirit and directly next door to the school is a nice Sonic. I went there a lot . They had to put a padlock on the restrooms, though, due to vandalism. The elementary principal is an angel. All the kids love him and hug him. The Jr High principal is a whole other story. mod cut The school is on such a steep hill that, when they have a football game a bus picks you up in front of the school and carries you way up a hill to the stadium . And wow; the food there is great! I'm talking pizza, burgers, hot dogs, nachos, etc.
The main lake in the village is called Lake Balboa. There is no fish in the lake and you almost never see a boat on it because it's either too cold or too hot . The homes right on the lake are gorgeous. I don't know where in town you can swim but in the village is an amazing pool complex. Three pools on a golf course! A baby pool, a regular one and a diving pool. Lots of nice pool lounges and , if they have it, good pizza and hot dogs. It's inexpensive to go there but not free.
I don't have anything decent to say about the medical care in the village. With 2 exceptions: there is a new eye clinic with "Dr Susan " and Dr Mike" and I went to Dr Mike; he was so good and so professional. They're married. For dentists, you go across the street from the main gate where you will find Dr Mason, a young man who is so personable and so good at what he does. His employees are so sweet and they all know half the town. There could be good dentists downtown ; I never went to them. The hospitals are nothing to brag about.
The climate of the area is great for ME. YOU might not like 20 degree nights in winter; but I did. The summers are hot and humid and there are LOTS of chiggers, a bazillion chiggers that aren't happy living just on your grass. They also frolic on your DRIVEWAY. They are not like mosquitoes where they itch for a day . They itch for TWO WEEKS; and I mean two weeks of driving you nuts all night long scratching behind your knees and on your ankles until you bleed.
The golf courses, nine of them, in the village are totally GORGEOUS with the HILLY TERRAIN AND MOUNTAINS. Lastly, if you think the village is gated think again. It's an illusion.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 01-30-2013 at 02:38 AM.. Reason: no names, please

Old 01-29-2013, 05:08 PM

Thanks, Suzzi. 'Preciate all the tips!

About the gate comment, can you elaborate?

Old 01-29-2013, 11:46 PM

285 posts, read 903,224 times
there is good fishing at Lake Balboa, there are pictures in the local newspaper all the time. There aren't many that use the lake, with the exception of holiday weekends (Memorial Day, 4th, Labor Day). There are 6 or 7 other lakes in HSV for fishing in addition to Balboa.

The West Gate of HSV doesn't actually have a "gate". It is 24-hour manned. The East Gate is manned about 16 hours/day, and electronic card the rest of the day. The other gates are electronic card only. Cameras are currently being installed at all of the unmanned gates to keep an eye on any shenanigans and act as a deterant.

The summers are usually hot (95 to 102 highs) but not always humid. When the humidity is low it can cool into the upper 60s at night, even in August.

Agree on the chiggers, they are not fun. Don't stand still on rock, or walk through tall grass. In other words, that ball that you hit out of bounds is going to cost you stroke + distance + a couple of chigger bites. Hit 'em straight!

Old 01-30-2013, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAtkins View Post
there is good fishing at Lake Balboa, there are pictures in the local newspaper all the time. There aren't many that use the lake, with the exception of holiday weekends (Memorial Day, 4th, Labor Day). There are 6 or 7 other lakes in HSV for fishing in addition to Balboa.

The West Gate of HSV doesn't actually have a "gate". It is 24-hour manned. The East Gate is manned about 16 hours/day, and electronic card the rest of the day. The other gates are electronic card only. Cameras are currently being installed at all of the unmanned gates to keep an eye on any shenanigans and act as a deterant.

The summers are usually hot (95 to 102 highs) but not always humid. When the humidity is low it can cool into the upper 60s at night, even in August.

Agree on the chiggers, they are not fun. Don't stand still on rock, or walk through tall grass. In other words, that ball that you hit out of bounds is going to cost you stroke + distance + a couple of chigger bites. Hit 'em straight!
I remember chiggers from when we lived in St. Louis in the 60's and 70's. I remember we used clear nail polish on the bites to suffocate the critters. Do they still do that, or is there an alternative?

As for the gate/guard issue--right now I live where there is no control. I'm actually at the end of a fairly long dead-end highway, but there is absolutely nothing to prevent anyone from coming for Bad Things. No guard, no patrols (we're in an unincorporated area)--nothing except your watchful neighbors. And with most people working, even in this older community, that generally means there's no one to see anything. I work out of my house, so I'm rarely gone (and hubby is now retired), but we do travel. Some control is better that nothing. Sad fact of life that there are those who walk among us who take the "easy" way out.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:55 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,903,074 times
I've always been under the impression that the gates around Hot Springs Village were installed to keep the "village people" in, not to keep everyone else out. ;-)

Also, nobody that wants in to HSV is being kept out. There are a few key phrases that aren't very secret that can get anyone into the village.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or