U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 11:33 PM

285 posts, read 906,745 times

Advertisements

Dr Foosball, I know it isn't a foolproof system, but it seems to catch a lot of people. You aren't dealing with the intellectually elite. I'm running for the Board here, and gate security is one of the things I want to improve.

Daffo, I've tried a "cholrine bath" to kill chiggers, that seems to work but you smell like Chlorox for a couple of days even after showers. It doesn't take much Chlorox, but I'm not sure a doctor would like the idea. There are also over the counter itch creams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 09:34 AM

4,820 posts, read 7,139,188 times
I believe that the chiggers are already gone by the time you feel their itch. They just feed a little while and then drop off, and the itch comes from whatever it is (their saliva?) that they use to dissolve your skin so they can feed, which causes an allergic reaction. At least I believe this is correct.

My Arkansas neighbor (has a terrible time with chigger bites, severe itching, sores) found that tea tree oil helped his chigger bites. You can get it at Wal-Mart.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:08 PM

1,661 posts, read 4,618,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I believe that the chiggers are already gone by the time you feel their itch. They just feed a little while and then drop off, and the itch comes from whatever it is (their saliva?) that they use to dissolve your skin so they can feed, which causes an allergic reaction. At least I believe this is correct.

My Arkansas neighbor (has a terrible time with chigger bites, severe itching, sores) found that tea tree oil helped his chigger bites. You can get it at Wal-Mart.
Heh.....

You let the cat outta the bag, Luv.

I'm reading all these posts about "killing{" chiggers and chuckling.

Yep, by the time you itch, they are way long gone.

Their enzymes do the dirty work.

See: "Harvest mites".

Old 02-01-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
Heh.....

You let the cat outta the bag, Luv.

I'm reading all these posts about "killing{" chiggers and chuckling.

Yep, by the time you itch, they are way long gone.

Their enzymes do the dirty work.

See: "Harvest mites".
Thanks for the confirmation, Rog. Have you ever tried tea tree oil on them? Our cabin neighbor is highly "allergic" to chigger bites ('round here we call them "redbugs"), and that was the only thing that helped the itching and helped the sores heal. We all tried it one summer when we were there and it did help the itch for a while, then it had to be reapplied. But it smells nice, so that was also sort of therapeutic. Seems like the sores did heal a little faster, also. That was a long time ago, hard to remember clearly.

Good to "see" you!

Old 02-01-2013, 07:30 PM

1,661 posts, read 4,618,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Thanks for the confirmation, Rog. Have you ever tried tea tree oil on them? Our cabin neighbor is highly "allergic" to chigger bites ('round here we call them "redbugs"), and that was the only thing that helped the itching and helped the sores heal. We all tried it one summer when we were there and it did help the itch for a while, then it had to be reapplied. But it smells nice, so that was also sort of therapeutic. Seems like the sores did heal a little faster, also. That was a long time ago, hard to remember clearly.

Good to "see" you!
No, I haven't tried tea tree oil, but have heard it touted for many purposes.

I am also highly reactive to chigger bites. Usually I'll get hit bad in the spring. If you saw me in shorts, you'd swear I got hit with birdshot. It's a cryin' shame.

A number of places carries jars of white cream labled, "Chigger cream", including Walmart, that works pretty good. A hot bath followed by application of that usually slows the agony. Taking an OTC antihistimine helps also.

With the conversation of, "I apply this to kill them", I was going to suggest a high quality latex primer applied with a medium knap roller.

I'm not that mean.

Yet.

Good to "see" you too.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
With the conversation of, "I apply this to kill them", I was going to suggest a high quality latex primer applied with a medium knap roller.

I'm not that mean.

Yet.

Give the tea tree oil a try....it might work better than what you're using. It smells sort of like a cedar/spruce tree mix. It always made me think of the smell of the old CCC cabins at the state parks....guess that's why I like the smell. Good times at those old cabins!

Old 02-04-2013, 01:12 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,024,172 times
OFF works good for Chiggers. If you spray your skin or cloths that will touch any vegitation it will stop them cold. If not than just don't let any skin or cloths touch any grass or folage when walking a trail. I would at least spray my shoes if walking in grass. Any DEET spray will work. If I would spray down my cloths with it I never got chiggers. If not crap I got bit and they bites itch and last a couple of weeks.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
OFF works good for Chiggers. .
This is true.....when I used to go picking blackberries I would tuck my pants legs into my socks, spray my shoes and ankles, and also the skin on my wrists and, if wearing long sleeves, the shirt at the wrist. It works, but as I've gotten older I've found that I despise the smell of Off, and am also more concerned about the chemicals now than I was when I was younger.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:50 AM

316 posts, read 346,450 times
How did this discussion devolve into chigger remedies ...

I still haven't moved, although we're stilling planning to, just waiting for the go ahead from my employer.

Jeff, Thanks for the temporary access to HSV back at Chirtmas time. My wife and I did "drive bys" on a lot of homes for sale and found some truly beautiful places.

I'm still working in Hot Springs almost every week, driving up from Texas. I've been looking at real estate around Hot Springs, and as far as I can tell, you can get a lot more house for your money in HSV.

One of the big draws for HSV to me, is the lakes and the fishing. I just wish there were more homes with real three car garages (not 2 plus a golf cart space) so I could keep my boat at home.

Does anyone know the rates for storing a boat inside the village? I've heard that there is at least one storage place, but don't know the name of the place or the rates.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:35 AM

46 posts, read 126,633 times
Tailgating is one way people get in the card gates. And the last time I saw the card gates they had been vandalized. The one I called The Balboa Gate is quite ugly (you'd have to see it to understand). After we moved away some people walked right into our house WHEN IT WAS FOR SALE and stole all of the components for the tv (VCR, speaker controls, etc). It was my dream home and I was shocked to find out that after we sold it two more buyers also sold it.
As far as fishing in Lake Balboa goes, I believe to catch a fish is quite unusual. You never hear anyone raving about the fishing. With the exception of the handful of guys who caught the big one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or