U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 11:50 AM

8 posts, read 17,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnelson1 View Post
How did this discussion devolve into chigger remedies ...

I still haven't moved, although we're stilling planning to, just waiting for the go ahead from my employer.

Jeff, Thanks for the temporary access to HSV back at Chirtmas time. My wife and I did "drive bys" on a lot of homes for sale and found some truly beautiful places.

I'm still working in Hot Springs almost every week, driving up from Texas. I've been looking at real estate around Hot Springs, and as far as I can tell, you can get a lot more house for your money in HSV.

One of the big draws for HSV to me, is the lakes and the fishing. I just wish there were more homes with real three car garages (not 2 plus a golf cart space) so I could keep my boat at home.

Does anyone know the rates for storing a boat inside the village? I've heard that there is at least one storage place, but don't know the name of the place or the rates.
You need to do more than "drive bys" if you want to find a house! That's especially true if you want a special feature like a 3-car garage. We were in the same boat, so to speak, and it took a while. We pretty much restricted our search to 3-car homes, or at least homes that had room for additional garage space, and boy, did we luck out! We now have garage parking for 7 cars. Yup, it's undoubtedly the only one in the Village like that, and we love the house, too. The backyard, not so much, but it's fixable. As the weather improves, we'll begin working on the property.

There is a boat storage place off Terlingua Dr (which is toward the east end of DeSoto). Sorry, I don't know the name of it, but the next time you're here, be sure to visit. It's visible on Google maps (though the name doesn't show), and there are lots of buildings in the complex, including many for car nuts, too.

We worked with Jeanne Meek, at Hot Springs Village Realty, and she was very patient with us. We were a drop-in client when we first came to the area, and feel we lucked out. She never pushed us into anything we weren't interested in, but kept in touch with possibilities. Since we were only in the area a few times a year, it took longer than usual--plus my husband wasn't as eager to move as I was--but we had a variety of 3-car homes to look at.

If time and money permit, you might also consider building. Lots are plentiful, and you could get exactly what you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 08:13 PM

316 posts, read 342,965 times
I'm an old hand at moving and buying houses, been doing it all my life. For me (us) the best method is to get a list of possibilities and do "drive bys", we've found that we can weed out about 3/4 of the houses just because of the location, some undisclosed feature, trashy neighbors, etc etc. Not saying these are the case in HSV, just that it's been our past experience.

Thanks for the name of the real estate agent, it's always good to find a competent, low pressure agent.

I'm in Hot Springs pretty much every week, I'm here now in fact. Waiting on my company to green light the move, then we'll get serious about finding a house.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:37 PM

285 posts, read 903,224 times
Jim,

Good to hear that you enjoyed your visit. Let me know if you want to visit again.

I pay about $100/year for a 32' RV just outside the West gate. I think a boat would be about the same.

Jeff

Quote:
How did this discussion devolve into chigger remedies ...

I still haven't moved, although we're stilling planning to, just waiting for the go ahead from my employer.

Jeff, Thanks for the temporary access to HSV back at Chirtmas time. My wife and I did "drive bys" on a lot of homes for sale and found some truly beautiful places.

I'm still working in Hot Springs almost every week, driving up from Texas. I've been looking at real estate around Hot Springs, and as far as I can tell, you can get a lot more house for your money in HSV.

One of the big draws for HSV to me, is the lakes and the fishing. I just wish there were more homes with real three car garages (not 2 plus a golf cart space) so I could keep my boat at home.

Does anyone know the rates for storing a boat inside the village? I've heard that there is at least one storage place, but don't know the name of the place or the rates.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:27 PM

I finally have the green light to move to Hot Springs, I start working up there in June. My wife and I just got home last night from a house hunting trip. We looked at homes in every direction from Hot Springs, as well as in Hot Springs and I believe we will be living in the Village. Believe it or not house prices are higher in Hot Springs than here in the DFW suburbs.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:40 PM

8 posts, read 17,325 times
Quote:
I finally have the green light to move to Hot Springs, I start working up there in June. My wife and I just got home last night from a house hunting trip. We looked at homes in every direction from Hot Springs, as well as in Hot Springs and I believe we will be living in the Village. Believe it or not house prices are higher in Hot Springs than here in the DFW suburbs.
Welcome, soon-to-be-neighbor! I hope you find the right place for you.

Yes, I can believe the house prices are higher in Hot Springs than in Dallas. We found Arkansas house prices to be higher than expected, too, but--and it's a big but--if you look around you can find some real deals. We did. We had special requirements, and while we did pay more than our house in Houston is worth, it's also a larger house, better constructed, and in a better neighborhood. Everyone who has seen it (or the pictures) thinks we got a great deal. And while I wasn't eager to get back into paying on a mortgage--our previous house was paid off--the rates were incredibly low. In fact, they were less than half the rate we'd paid on our previous house when we bought it some 16 years before!

Old 05-24-2013, 07:11 AM

382 posts, read 482,996 times
My wife and I spent two winters in a travel trailer driving and staying around the south, from Ft. Payne Alabama to Vicksburg Miss, to Oxford Miss, parts of GA, FL, Branson MO and Hot Springs Ar. We settled on Hot Springs. Our reasons are that Hot Springs is not one of the "you ain't from here is you" cities. Its like Fl where the farther south you go the more north you are. It has a lot to do, Racing season keeps things hopping in winter, and summer is summer and people come in from Texas and other places to visit this historic city. Your only a hop and skip to LR where there are a lot of things to do.

We ended up moving to Florida and investing in a condo and home because of how far prices have fallen. Our investment is doing well on the condo rental in Sarasota and we can make a nice return while we figure out where in HS we want to buy.
Florida will make a come back better than HS its where so many people want to retire. Its just not our speed. We like Arkansas. I love lake Quachita, the St. Patrick's day parade and all the festivals through the year.

We loved the community theater, the film festival and just walking up and down the street on any given night. You can take your Motorcycle or car up to Branson and its one of the most beautiful drives you will see.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:30 PM

The time has finally come, today is my last day in Texas. I start work in Hot Springs next week. We have been up there on one house hunting trip, and are going back up tomorrow and hope to find something soon.

I'm about 95% sure that we will buy a place in the village, for a variety of reasons.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:54 PM

52,336 posts, read 41,134,431 times
My parents live in the Village and I absolutely LOVE visiting them there! Hopefully one day I can join them there (in my own house, that is!). It's beautiful.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:36 AM

427 posts, read 981,204 times
Quote:
The time has finally come, today is my last day in Texas. I start work in Hot Springs next week. We have been up there on one house hunting trip, and are going back up tomorrow and hope to find something soon.

I'm about 95% sure that we will buy a place in the village, for a variety of reasons.
Good luck and hopefully, welcome to the village. I had the same issues with a boat when we were looking at existing houses. We had 3 cars, one a classic, and a boat and I wanted to keep all of them at home. As you can imagine, we found 0 homes with 4 car garages so we wound up building but we had to find another lot as the home we wanted would not fit on the lot we have owned for many years. So alas, we own an extra lot now and have to pay two assessments but, oh well. Life is still good.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:27 PM

Well we did it. Bought a house in Hot Springs Village, we found one that was semi-isolated and in "in the woods". Closed on the new house Monday and the movers finished up yesterday. We're getting unpacked slowly but surely.

A couple of things I've learned about HSV...

A big moving van will NOT be able to negotiate a lot of the streets in HSV. Ours is one of them, the movers had to rent a UHaul truck and "shuttle" our stuff from the moving van into the UHaul, then to our house. Add to that the fact that it's been hotter than the hubs of Hades the last couple of days, and it made for a miserable experience, but I can't really complain the poor movers were doing all the heavy work.

Folks are on a different timetable here. There are several restaurants in the village, and more just outside the gate. But most of the customers are gone by 7pm. My wife and I had gotten to be night owls, but we are going to have to adjust to an earlier schedule here.

There are a LOT of deer in the Village. Every time we've been out before daylight or after dark (I rented a house for a month here) we've seen deer. Last night we saw a group of nice bucks. I've also seen a skunk, a possum, and a family of racoons. Lots of wildlife here.

I've only been here for a few weeks now, counting the rental, but I can already tell that we're going to like it here. I will for sure, and I haven't even had my boat out yet .

Many thanks to Jeff Atkins for getting me a visitor pass to check out the village and have a look around. I did "drive bys" on a lot of real estate here in the Village, and probably wouldn't have even considered a gated community if I hadn't been about to check the place out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or