U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2012, 05:37 PM

427 posts, read 981,204 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been to the purple hull pea festival in Emerson? Not crazy about events but I would love to get my hands on a bushel of purple hull peas since moving back to Arkansas.

Mention purple hull peas to folks north of mason/dixon and they automatically think black eyes.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 06:06 PM

22,367 posts, read 902,385 times
First, I haven't been fortunate to eat any in years. And now, I hear that there's a festival devoted to the peas.

Must be an interesting event.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:36 PM

427 posts, read 981,204 times
Best tiller races in the country.........

Old 01-02-2013, 12:00 AM

376 posts, read 575,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btoverdrive View Post
Has anyone been to the purple hull pea festival in Emerson? Not crazy about events but I would love to get my hands on a bushel of purple hull peas since moving back to Arkansas.

Mention purple hull peas to folks north of mason/dixon and they automatically think black eyes.

Thanks.
I've lived most of my adult life on the West Coast after growing up in Louisiana. To me, no pea or bean is as tasty as purple hull peas. I grew some after moving west for several years but moved into a neighborhood that would frown upon growing veggies and just got too busy to continue growing them.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:23 PM

2,457 posts, read 6,519,092 times
I haven't been to the festival, but a looong time ago I grew up on a farm and remember shelling those boogers until my fingers turned purple and got sore. Granny would lay a large towel across my lap to catch any wayward peas, then she and I would go to work. After shelling, she would start cooking and canning. But she always held out some to cook with sow belly for us to eat. Corn bread, fresh (unpasteurized) milk, etc. Those are the good memories, but the bad memories are getting up in a cold house in the mornings in winter as we did here last week because our electric was off. Those "good old days" I can do without.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:36 PM

10,322 posts, read 6,011,361 times
Default Purple Hulls forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by btoverdrive View Post

Thanks.
I love purple hull peas. Went to a church social in Alabama a few years ago and a woman had cooked a big batch loaded with onion and I don't know what else. I've tried to duplicate what she did half dozen times without success (but they are still good!). I ate my share and anyone else's that hesitated on getting seconds.

And yup, north of the border they think blackeyed peas. I lived in a small town in NW Ohio (Celina) for a couple of years and when I ordered grits for breakfast they brought me some kind of brine and pig meat in a rectangular chunk. That was grits to them--and it was gritty to eat.

Give me southern food any day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas