U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 08:49 PM

12 posts, read 16,969 times

Advertisements

OK, this is from a fellow Texan (now moved...as you say, Texas is not Texas any more), that has also lived in Mississippi. We strongly considered a place in the country in NW Arkansas. The only thing that turned us against it was hearing about chiggers being very bad and wanting the kids to be able to run and play in the yard without worrying...I don't know how true it is, but we did get covered when looking at a house out in the country. My point is, having tried to get a pretty good view of it, it is NOTHING like Mississippi. Not in people, culture, terrain, or climate. No one but you will know if it's right, but it definitely sounds like it would be an upgrade. If you can, I would strongly encourage you to take a trip to see it and drive from Springdale to Harrison. Talk to locals about any concerns so you get 1-on-1 interaction. By the time you go home, I think you will feel more sure one way or another.

It is worth the trouble of the trip...I think it would be money well spent. Good luck on a new life, somewhere that is right for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 07:18 AM

27 posts, read 55,398 times
I'm not native to Arkansas, moved here one year ago from Southern California. While I can't address the social services part of the question I can tell you Arkansas is not a bad state. It's beautiful, low traffic, lower on the rent scale(remember I'm from So. Cal. lol) gas is cheaper and the people are real neighborly.

Little Rock has 3 main hospitals. UAMC(Unitversity of Arkansas Medical Center) which is a teaching hospital and rates very highly(check google). Baptist Health, which is where most of the locals recommend. St. Vincent's which according to the local people is not bad but they would try Baptist Health first. Baptist Health is the overall recommended place by people who live around here.

Allergies....really bad! Quite a few of the people here are on allergy medicine year round. My sinus headaches have hit an all time high since getting here. I should probably be taking med's year round but I'm kinda stubborn that way. lol My poor shepard, was giving her 4 Benedryl a day and not even slowing it down, had to take her to the vet to get prescription for allergies. The nonstop nose running stopped on her but she still has a cough.

Best of Luck

Old 01-18-2013, 03:53 PM

476 posts, read 416,426 times
I also moved here from Texas although I don't have much good to say about Arkansas. My experience here has been very negative. First, the cost of living here is much higher than TX. You have to pay state income tax. Several taxes if you buy or own a vehicle.

I'll agree that NWA is a nice area, but that's about it. The rest of the state is small towns with lots of poverty, and not much attraction. LR reguarly makes negative top ten lists, even recently earning a spot on the top ten most unhappiest places to live in. There is definitely a lot of white trash and ghetto around here, and very few friendly genuinely nice people. That's been my experience, anyways. I would never recommend someone move to LR.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:18 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,739,247 times
Several taxes on vehicles, and that's different from Texas? You pay sales tax here, you pay sales tax there....you pay tax on bringing a vehicle into Texas, you pay personal property tax here. Title and registration? Both states. I'm not sure what you're referring to. Clarify?

Really? The COL in Arkansas is higher than Texas? I'm asking...not trying to start an argument, honest question. We always consider this to be a pretty low cost place to live, but I don't have a lot to compare it to.

How long have you lived in Arkansas, and in what general area? NWA?

Old 01-19-2013, 05:30 AM

75,590 posts, read 88,318,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD39 View Post
I also moved here from Texas although I don't have much good to say about Arkansas. My experience here has been very negative. First, the cost of living here is much higher than TX. You have to pay state income tax. Several taxes if you buy or own a vehicle.

I'll agree that NWA is a nice area, but that's about it. The rest of the state is small towns with lots of poverty, and not much attraction. LR reguarly makes negative top ten lists, even recently earning a spot on the top ten most unhappiest places to live in. There is definitely a lot of white trash and ghetto around here, and very few friendly genuinely nice people. That's been my experience, anyways. I would never recommend someone move to LR.
I would have to ask you how long you have lived in AR, where you lived in Texas and where you are gettting your false information or slanted information? You are right about income taxes, that is the end of what you are right about. The cost of living in AR is much lower, check the stats if you are not convinced. The cost of insurance in much lower in AR than in Texas, whether car or property. We paid $1200 a year in Texas for home owners insurnace and pay $800 here for a more expensive home. The same with property taxes, $2200 in Texas 11 years ago, $900 here. The registrations exist whether you own a car here or in Texas but the taxes are a little higher here when you buy your car and only then. You do not pay serveral taxes on anything.

Yes, LR was on a list of the most unhappiest place to live, but there have been several studies, including Forbes where Little Rock has been in the top 5 places to live, to retire and to start a business.. One of the top Chrildren's hospitals in the country is in Little Rock.

Real estate is much less in AR, whether you rent of you own.

There is poverty here, we are a rural state, but if you haven't seen poverty in Texas you might want to check again, especially in the pan handle and part of east Texas...AR has more than just NWA to be pround of. I don' think the people living in areas like Russelville, parts of Little Rock, Conway, Texarkana and Mountain Hope for instance think of their cities as just a bunch of poor people. The Delta is differnet, we all know that.

Ar isn't for everyone, no place is perfect, but it does help when giving opinions that can influence someones decisions to have all the facts...

Nita

Old 01-20-2013, 12:10 AM

64 posts, read 133,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
I'm a non-Arkansasan (originally from Arizona and then Kansas), and I have nothing but good things to say about NW Arkansas. It's definitely not your stereotypical white trash type place. It may be bad in the Delta, but NWA is a different culture in many ways.
I don't even understand why this type of comment is allowed to stand. If I were to post about "black trash" with regards to Washington DC (where I was born), would that be OK?

Who's afraid of white trash, anyway? When a previous poster referred to Texas as being "not Texas" anymore, I'll bet dollars to donuts it's not because too much "white trash" moved in.

No I don't want to live next to meth-heads (if that might be a barometer for measuring "white trash"), and thankfully I don't live near them and haven't been exposed to meth (except in newspaper stories) since I moved here 3 years ago. The sheriff & the city police swoop down on them as quick as possible, from what I've seen.

I don't live within the boundaries of fabled NWA but I like it here just fine. I have to say to anyone who is offended by working-class white folk, many of whom live in trailer homes -- move along! And to those who aren't "too good" for an affordable, traditional American (i.e. "white"), Christian community -- welcome!

And incidentally there is nice subsidized housing for the disabled and elderly here too. By "nice" I mean a clean, safe 1 br apartment, with free Medicaid van to doctor's appointments & cheap van to Walmart etc. That may not be "nice" enough for some people but if it's "nice" enough for you, then -- welcome!

Old 01-20-2013, 04:15 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,739,247 times
Mother, the comment is allowed to stand because that's the stereotype of Arkansas - backwoods, country, filled with rundown shanties, where everyone has 6 teeth and no formal education. Like it or not, that's the perception in much of the country. That's why we're here, to refute that silliness and let people who are interested know what an awesome place Arkansas can be.

There's a significant difference between white trash and hardworking people who happen to live in a mobile home, and we all know it. NWA gets rave reviews for scenery, cost of living, outdoor activities, a great college, major industry, and a host of other things that make it a wonderful place to live. Rogers/Springdale/Fayetteville make up the holy trinity of NWA, but the original conversation was about Eureka due to the OP's desire to live in a mountainous yet rural area. The talk morphed to NWA due to medical and housing and transportation needs and I think a lot of good information has been given even though the OP, who is also looking in east Texas for her place in the sun, hasn't returned to comment. Someone else may be able to use this thread, though!

At the risk of seriously going off topic and having to infract myself, one thing we as dyed-in-the-wool Arkansans can do to promote our state is to lose our defensiveness and invite people to simply visit. So many misconceptions can be cleared up in a short period of time if someone ever sets foot in the state. I'm not saying Arkansas doesn't have it's warts and that we should all downplay the negative aspects and hide them under a bushel basket. In my mind, though, there's so much good that outweighs the bad that I'd rather concentrate on that....the glass is half full syndrome, I guess!

Old 01-20-2013, 04:34 AM

75,590 posts, read 88,318,961 times
I certainly know, our first visit changed our minds about AR, we were amazed with the beauty, the cultural activities that are available and how friendly and hard working most people are here..We were relocating from a state where we saw a lot of poverty and a lot of really lazy people, who preferred living off the government. We were afraid we would see similar here. Our daughter was the one who mentioned the difference between uneducated rural people and truely lazy people. She was right. For the most part people here are hard working and I am amazed at how polite the kids are. I didn't think this existed in our country today; boy was I wrong. I don't mean just saying thank you and please, I mean holding doors open for older people, saying excuse me when running in front of someone, offering to help if someone seems to need it..Yes, for those of you who do not know the real, AR, please come and visit..You will be pleasantly surprised.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:29 PM

389 posts, read 1,064,840 times
I would like to echo the above comments. We have lived here for about 15 months now and have been uniformly impressed with the civility of the folks we have met here. And it's beauty is unquestioned. Moderate weather, low living costs and in my view largely ignored by many people who ought to seriously consider a place to live and/or retire.

I would also add that it is ridiculously easy to navigate Little Rock. Compared to monstrosities like Houston or other large cities, it is a piece of cake. That's what comes from not have a huge population like other large populated states.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:43 PM

427 posts, read 981,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmissourimule View Post
I would like to echo the above comments. We have lived here for about 15 months now and have been uniformly impressed with the civility of the folks we have met here. And it's beauty is unquestioned. Moderate weather, low living costs and in my view largely ignored by many people who ought to seriously consider a place to live and/or retire.

I would also add that it is ridiculously easy to navigate Little Rock. Compared to monstrosities like Houston or other large cities, it is a piece of cake. That's what comes from not have a huge population like other large populated states.
I have to agree, I have lived in Memphis, Dallas, Houston, St Louis and Omaha. The most easy to navigate in was Omaha. I did not enjoy living there but the way it was layed out, only a total moron could get lost. East/west streets were named, North/south streets were numbered.

I get lost more now in Hot Springs Village than I did on Omaha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or