U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 05:36 PM

476 posts, read 416,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Several taxes on vehicles, and that's different from Texas? You pay sales tax here, you pay sales tax there....you pay tax on bringing a vehicle into Texas, you pay personal property tax here. Title and registration? Both states. I'm not sure what you're referring to. Clarify?

Really? The COL in Arkansas is higher than Texas? I'm asking...not trying to start an argument, honest question. We always consider this to be a pretty low cost place to live, but I don't have a lot to compare it to.

How long have you lived in Arkansas, and in what general area? NWA?
Hi,

I've been here close to five years in the LR metro area.

When I bought my first vehicle here, I had to pay a sales tax and a local city tax along with personal property. In Texas, you pay the sales tax to the dealer, done. Nothing more.

In AR, you have the hassle of having to take off work to go down to the tax office and pay them the money. Then it is a lot more hassle if you need a refund on the sales tax which happened to me when I decided to cancel the extended warranty.

As for COL, I'm speaking from a renter perspective so maybe it is cheaper for homeowners. The state income tax and personal property and higher sales taxes really bites though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 03:42 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,739,247 times
TWD, I remember you and the warranty fiasco now. There are some (very few) dealers that will handle sales tax for you. Sometimes you have to push, but it can be done. Beware, though - those ads that say "sales tax paid" just mean they sorta rebate it on your price but you're still responsible for doing all the legwork. I guess you know your renewal can be done online? The initial part, especially in Pulaski County, is just made more difficult than it needs to be. In Pope County it's a whiz. I do mine (the renewal) online, but all dealings we've had with the folks at DFA here have been stellar. The ladies that work there have been there a million years and know their jobs...you aren't dealing with a rookie that has to examine every single sheet of paper. I sometimes felt in Little Rock like there was a contest going on with DFA workers to see who could make a registration last the longest I'm pretty sure I was in the winner's line every time.

Another plus for living in a small town. The sales tax here, I will agree, is pretty ridiculous, but I think the PP and RE taxes are low, low, low - then again, we drive older cars and have a homestead exemption on RE and our RE taxes are very small to begin with. The RE taxes in Little Rock, from where I sit, look huge.

We consider ourselves small town spoiled now.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:13 AM

476 posts, read 416,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
TWD, I remember you and the warranty fiasco now. There are some (very few) dealers that will handle sales tax for you. Sometimes you have to push, but it can be done. Beware, though - those ads that say "sales tax paid" just mean they sorta rebate it on your price but you're still responsible for doing all the legwork. I guess you know your renewal can be done online? The initial part, especially in Pulaski County, is just made more difficult than it needs to be. In Pope County it's a whiz. I do mine (the renewal) online, but all dealings we've had with the folks at DFA here have been stellar. The ladies that work there have been there a million years and know their jobs...you aren't dealing with a rookie that has to examine every single sheet of paper. I sometimes felt in Little Rock like there was a contest going on with DFA workers to see who could make a registration last the longest I'm pretty sure I was in the winner's line every time.

Another plus for living in a small town. The sales tax here, I will agree, is pretty ridiculous, but I think the PP and RE taxes are low, low, low - then again, we drive older cars and have a homestead exemption on RE and our RE taxes are very small to begin with. The RE taxes in Little Rock, from where I sit, look huge.

We consider ourselves small town spoiled now.
Hi Sam,

Yeah, my main beef was with the dealer and not the state. They delayed sending my paperwork and I barely made the deadline for paying the sales tax. That would have been another $100 for penalties! The financial manager at the dealership even told me that there was no way I could get a refund on sales tax. Sorry, I don't make the laws, he told me. I didn't give up though and contacted DFA and found out that I can get a refund with proper documentation!

In hindsight, lesson learned. Don't buy the extended warranty! lol

Old 02-14-2013, 09:08 PM

80 posts, read 189,895 times
I guess the cost of living depends on where you're heading from and where in AR you're heading to. We (finally) are getting ready to make the move from way up north to Fairfield Bay. COL here 97% of the nation average; Fairfield 84%. A condo similar to the one we've bought in FFB (but not on the golf course, as is our AR home) runs $50,000 more (about 80%); real estate taxes in FFB (after homesteading) will be around $500/yr -- up north they would be around $2,800. Every time we've made a trip down there we find gas is about $.15 cheaper than up north -- groceries seem to run about the same. Have yet to experience registering cars, boats, campers, etc. or paying state income tax, so we'll see how that end ups. Still, all in all, in our situation I think we're going to find a much higher quality of life in a beautiful resort community for much less money.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:54 AM

75,590 posts, read 88,318,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krotzmc View Post
I guess the cost of living depends on where you're heading from and where in AR you're heading to. We (finally) are getting ready to make the move from way up north to Fairfield Bay. COL here 97% of the nation average; Fairfield 84%. A condo similar to the one we've bought in FFB (but not on the golf course, as is our AR home) runs $50,000 more (about 80%); real estate taxes in FFB (after homesteading) will be around $500/yr -- up north they would be around $2,800. Every time we've made a trip down there we find gas is about $.15 cheaper than up north -- groceries seem to run about the same. Have yet to experience registering cars, boats, campers, etc. or paying state income tax, so we'll see how that end ups. Still, all in all, in our situation I think we're going to find a much higher quality of life in a beautiful resort community for much less money.
yes, col is relavent and depends on what you are used to, your age and your income level..For many of us,we have found, what you are saying, a better quality of life on a smaller income. The major difference in col in Ar versus some states is the income tax, again, this depends on your income level and the cost of registering cars, etc, but even that is a one time cost, not a yearly cost. The actually yearly fees are very low. Everyone has to consider what is important to them and what they spend their money on, to decide col one place versus another.

Now that we have all put our 2 cents worth in, has anyone noticed, the OP has never posted since she asked the question?

Nita

Old 02-17-2013, 03:11 PM

119 posts, read 202,042 times
I decided to register my car in Arkansas instead of my old state because it was so cheap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or