U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-11-2013, 07:35 AM
 
2 posts, read 5,539 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Can I ask where in the heck are you getting your extremely slanted views on CV or AR period. Yes, of course people are dying and yes, younger families are moving in: that is a plus, not a minus. but as for yo tax ideas: you are so off base, it isn't even funny. Are you aware AR has a property break for seniors? do you realize the food tax has been cut in 1/2 in the past few years and have you priced property taxes in AR and insurance prices in AR compared to other states? May I also add, what is wrong about a young family living near any of us. Without younger people and families all areas eventually die. You obviously have an agenda and a personal concern about CV, I happen to think the other 2 Cooper planned communities are better, but I also think you are totally off base about this.
As a resident of Cherokee Village (CV), as well as coming from a family that has been in Arkansas since before the Civil War, I am well informed concerning my native state, and city I presently live in, and have lived in for some time now. I never stated younger families were a negative. I am not a retiree, and have young children of my own. I simply made the observation that C.V. is no longer a retirement community, and since the person was asking about retiring here it was relevant. C.V. is an incorporated city, and has been for some time now. As a property owner in C.V. I am well aware of the taxes I pay here compared to the tax rates paid by friends living in other North, and North East Arkansas. Personally, I have not compared property taxes to any other state since I have no plans to move to any other state. My reference was to C.V., and S.I.D. taxes only. I did not address any of the issues concerning extremely poor maintenance of the streets, the extreme fire hazards presented by dead fall that the fire department could never control, or the the way some city officials are raising revenue in place of a tax increase. My agenda was to provide some facts concerning C.V. to a person asking questions. C.V. was at one point a Cooper planned community, designed for retirees, run as a private community by S.I.D., but no more. Now, it is a town like any other, and if the person wishes to retire to a planned, closed, senior retirement community they need to be aware so they are able to base their decision on facts, not opinion from someone that, it would appear, wishes C.V. was still a private enterprise for retirees. While you are wrong concerning my assessment of C.V., you are correct in my having a personal concern. I live here, I drive the streets, I pay for suspension repairs, I have kids, I pay "CITY" taxes on top of S.I.D. fees. Yes, this is my home, and to tell the truth, both good and bad, to a question so a person can make an informed decision is my responsibility whether you or anyone else likes it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-11-2013, 08:25 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
75,590 posts, read 88,318,961 times
Reputation: 46411
Quote:
Originally Posted by honshu01 View Post
As a resident of Cherokee Village (CV), as well as coming from a family that has been in Arkansas since before the Civil War, I am well informed concerning my native state, and city I presently live in, and have lived in for some time now. I never stated younger families were a negative. I am not a retiree, and have young children of my own. I simply made the observation that C.V. is no longer a retirement community, and since the person was asking about retiring here it was relevant. C.V. is an incorporated city, and has been for some time now. As a property owner in C.V. I am well aware of the taxes I pay here compared to the tax rates paid by friends living in other North, and North East Arkansas. Personally, I have not compared property taxes to any other state since I have no plans to move to any other state. My reference was to C.V., and S.I.D. taxes only. I did not address any of the issues concerning extremely poor maintenance of the streets, the extreme fire hazards presented by dead fall that the fire department could never control, or the the way some city officials are raising revenue in place of a tax increase. My agenda was to provide some facts concerning C.V. to a person asking questions. C.V. was at one point a Cooper planned community, designed for retirees, run as a private community by S.I.D., but no more. Now, it is a town like any other, and if the person wishes to retire to a planned, closed, senior retirement community they need to be aware so they are able to base their decision on facts, not opinion from someone that, it would appear, wishes C.V. was still a private enterprise for retirees. While you are wrong concerning my assessment of C.V., you are correct in my having a personal concern. I live here, I drive the streets, I pay for suspension repairs, I have kids, I pay "CITY" taxes on top of S.I.D. fees. Yes, this is my home, and to tell the truth, both good and bad, to a question so a person can make an informed decision is my responsibility whether you or anyone else likes it.
I am not going to get into a shouting match over this, but you might want to reread what you originally posted. Then you would understand where I am coming from, especially when it comes to taxes. You say people are leaving the area and the state because of taxes, but now you admit you don't really know much about taxes other places. I am voicing my opinion as a senior and being one, I probably have a better idea what a senior might be expecting from their home. There is a lot more to taxes than just looking at a chart.

You obviously do not like what has happened in recent years in CV, and you say tell the truth, both good and bad, but you are telling only the bad as you see it. You brought up, a closed, senior living location, I don't see anywhere the Op is even suggesting that is what they are looking for.

I suggested the OP visit, that is the best way to get a feel for a community, they would learn it isn't just retirement village anymore. We have seen similar changes in BV. Nothing ever stays the same, but that is what life is all about.

You have stated your feelings about CV and I have stated mine. I see the positive of living in CV or BV or HSV, you see the negatives. We will have to agree to disagree on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2014, 09:17 AM
 
14 posts, read 24,336 times
Reputation: 20
I think it depends on what the "northerners" are doing when they relocate. Are they trying to fit in with the rest of the people in that area, or are they constantly trying to make the place like it was back where they came from?? I lived in Plano Tx for a lot of years and my gripe was that those who moved in were constantly degrading Texans as hicks and not knowing any better. If your newcomers are trying to be a part of the community, no problem. If your newcomers are trying to make the new place like it was "back home", then you have a problem. We have a lot in HSV (since 1991) and we know that a lot of people there are from out of state (every state has at least 1 representative) as well as several foreign countries. What they are doing is banding together to make HSV a great place to live, not how it was elsewhere. They know they have a unique community and they work hard to maintain the Village as an excellent place to call home. We are now in a position to make that transition as well, and we look forward to it. We know it isn't Texas and we aren't interested in making it like Texas, otherwise we would have moved to east Texas. However, there is nothing wrong with trying to make a place better, and what I've found in a lot of situations is that the "young locals" are hell raisers, drive the big loud pickups with boom boxes, throw beer cans in yards, and generally make a nuisance of themselves. I can understand anyone not wanting to put up with that. There are good and bad on both sides... the idea is to meld the good from both sides and eliminate the bad from both sides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2014, 02:28 PM
 
Location: Cherokee Village
2 posts, read 3,186 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowan50 View Post
We are retired. We plan to move to CV, rent a house and get a feel for the area.
We love to fish and kayak.
I have been reading the forums and the local newspaper.
Is it safe to live in CV? Any changes since that last thread on CV?
Thanks!

Feel free to email me.
I moved here about a month ago. This is the most peaceful setting I have ever found. The neighbors are distant enough that you have privacy but close enough to borrow sugar.

You're in the country but close to everything.

This is the place I want to live until I pass, it is perfect to me. I am a country girl and everyone here is polite and helpful. I admire these qualities.

I'd love for you to come live here, I live minutes away from Sequoyah Lake and could not ask for more beauty.

I would and do feel safe leaving my doors unlocked. I am in Hidden Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2014, 10:35 AM
 
3,438 posts, read 4,968,480 times
Reputation: 5433
(observations of Cherokee Village after 2+ years here)

The wife and I moved here in January of 2012 ( retirement re-location from Minnesota )
My wife passed away on Thanksgiving Day ( ALS) and despite knowing anyone, I decided to stay here alone.
We were attracted to the area by...

#1........weather ( despite this winter, I love it )
#2........scenic beauty
#3........cost of living ( especially cost of houses and property taxes)
#4........ college sports 65 miles away ( Arkansas State Red Wolves in Jonesboro )

....I..like it here and will stay until I need assistance living, then will return to MN

However, this town/area is not for everyone.
You certainly don 't have much selection shopping....( doesn't bother me ) but for many , they want an option besides Walmart.

There is a difference of day and night between Bella Vista and Cherokee Village, however.
Bella Vista is still able to attract retirees and young people due to their location ( NWA)
Here in Cherokee Village, there are no jobs .

Yet, with about every 4th house for sale, many people believe we should abandon Mr Cooper's plan of attracting retirees and instead attract young people.

YOUNG PEOPLE WHO ARE UNEMPLOYED TO AN AREA THAT HAS NO JOBS ?

Sounds like a recipe for disaster !

Yet, several young people are moving in and the only place of employment kept busy is the police dept and sheriff's office.

I like it here and still have hope for Cherokee Village , but I believe it is time the city leaders and realtors to rethink what Mr Cooper did and offer incentives for retirees to come check out Cherokee Village.

I still think Cherokee Village can attract many retirees from "up north" for the same reasons I was attracted.
No, I don't think we can compete with Bella Vista, Hot Springs, or even a city like Mountain Home. Many retirees who would choose those 3 , might find Cherokee Village " lacking " .

However, not every retiree has a huge stash of cash. Getting the word out to future retirees " up north" that by re-locating to Cherokee Village their retirement dollar will go farther because they can buy an identical house down here for half( or 1/3 ) the price and pocket the difference to add to their retirement fund. ( plus enjoy lower cost of living )

I vehemently disagree with the poster who took NMNITA to task. Cherokee Village is not ..........."just like any other town "

If effort isn't made to fill those numerous houses for sale with retirees re-locating here, the future of Cherokee Village will be bleak.

Some realtors ( who also are in the renting business ) should put more effort into attracting retirees and less into attracting unemployed young people to an area with no jobs.

I don't think Cherokee Village will ever return to its " glory days" when things were booming.

However, believing converting houses for sale over to Section 8 rentals and attracting young, unemployed , people is heading down the wrong path.

I feel strongly ( actually passionately )about the future of Cherokee Village and definitely would like to continue the discussion with anyone wanting to offer advice.

I am on a city committee now, but many times feel my voice/opinion is in the 6-1 minority.

Last edited by Teddy52; 05-06-2014 at 10:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2014, 07:28 AM
Status: "Some humans ain't human Though they walk like we do" (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: Bel Air, California
22,146 posts, read 23,413,350 times
Reputation: 35119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
(observations of Cherokee Village after 2+ years here)

The wife and I moved here in January of 2012 ( retirement re-location from Minnesota )
My wife passed away on Thanksgiving Day ( ALS) and despite knowing anyone, I decided to stay here alone.
We were attracted to the area by...

#1........weather ( despite this winter, I love it )
#2........scenic beauty
#3........cost of living ( especially cost of houses and property taxes)
#4........ college sports 65 miles away ( Arkansas State Red Wolves in Jonesboro )

....I..like it here and will stay until I need assistance living, then will return to MN

However, this town/area is not for everyone.
You certainly don 't have much selection shopping....( doesn't bother me ) but for many , they want an option besides Walmart.

There is a difference of day and night between Bella Vista and Cherokee Village, however.
Bella Vista is still able to attract retirees and young people due to their location ( NWA)
Here in Cherokee Village, there are no jobs .

Yet, with about every 4th house for sale, many people believe we should abandon Mr Cooper's plan of attracting retirees and instead attract young people.

YOUNG PEOPLE WHO ARE UNEMPLOYED TO AN AREA THAT HAS NO JOBS ?

Sounds like a recipe for disaster !

Yet, several young people are moving in and the only place of employment kept busy is the police dept and sheriff's office.

I like it here and still have hope for Cherokee Village , but I believe it is time the city leaders and realtors to rethink what Mr Cooper did and offer incentives for retirees to come check out Cherokee Village.

I still think Cherokee Village can attract many retirees from "up north" for the same reasons I was attracted.
No, I don't think we can compete with Bella Vista, Hot Springs, or even a city like Mountain Home. Many retirees who would choose those 3 , might find Cherokee Village " lacking " .

However, not every retiree has a huge stash of cash. Getting the word out to future retirees " up north" that by re-locating to Cherokee Village their retirement dollar will go farther because they can buy an identical house down here for half( or 1/3 ) the price and pocket the difference to add to their retirement fund. ( plus enjoy lower cost of living )

I vehemently disagree with the poster who took NMNITA to task. Cherokee Village is not ..........."just like any other town "

If effort isn't made to fill those numerous houses for sale with retirees re-locating here, the future of Cherokee Village will be bleak.

Some realtors ( who also are in the renting business ) should put more effort into attracting retirees and less into attracting unemployed young people to an area with no jobs.

I don't think Cherokee Village will ever return to its " glory days" when things were booming.

However, believing converting houses for sale over to Section 8 rentals and attracting young, unemployed , people is heading down the wrong path.

I feel strongly ( actually passionately )about the future of Cherokee Village and definitely would like to continue the discussion with anyone wanting to offer advice.

I am on a city committee now, but many times feel my voice/opinion is in the 6-1 minority.
just a word to the wise that it's never a good idea to post personal information about yourself on line that somebody could gleam your identity from
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2014, 10:18 AM
 
4,817 posts, read 7,092,624 times
Reputation: 6887
Honestly, I sympathize with Teddy52 about young people with no jobs moving into his "retirement village".

If I were to move to Hot Springs Village because of the cleanliness and beauty of the place, and also the slower pace of life, I would be seriously disappointed if a lot of younger people moved in with a bunch of disorderly children and teenagers, whom you see a LOT of these days.... who sped up and down the roads, hollered and screamed and cried at the pool, in the restaurants, etc. Or, as Teddy52 said, people without jobs who would not keep their homes and yards up and sit around on their porches all day (in the lovely broken-down recliner) smoking cigarettes and drinking beer (paid for with our money) and collecting old cars in their yards.

Isn't this why people move to "retirement villages"? To get away from this sort of thing? I'm really not an old crank, but I have raised my children and am through with that and am ready for some peace and quiet. And I have had the sort of neighbors (have them right now, as a matter of fact) I described above, and never want that again.

Some might say, "well, that's what the POA is for". Yes, but that won't stop the kids from being in places where you don't want to be around loud and disorderly kids. I know retired people have grandchildren, but that would be very limited and not permanent.


I know that the corporations that own retirement villages are in it to make a profit, but really, it seems to me that there should be some sort of limitations on who can live or own property in a "retirement village".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2014, 08:55 PM
 
111 posts, read 416,976 times
Reputation: 90
The truth is that CV is going to need to recapture Cooper's vision as a retirement community, continue to ramp up code enforcement, and rope in the sloppy, badly maintained rentals. CV is an amazing place with a great history, but it stands at the turning point. There's no more rope to compromise the orginal vision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2014, 09:22 AM
 
4,817 posts, read 7,092,624 times
Reputation: 6887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timtheman View Post
The truth is that CV is going to need to recapture Cooper's vision as a retirement community, .
But can they realistically do that now that they are an incorporated city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2014, 12:44 AM
 
1,661 posts, read 4,606,664 times
Reputation: 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timtheman View Post
The truth is that CV is going to need to recapture Cooper's vision as a retirement community, continue to ramp up code enforcement, and rope in the sloppy, badly maintained rentals. CV is an amazing place with a great history, but it stands at the turning point. There's no more rope to compromise the orginal vision.
Amen, brother. And quit trying to annex us who own property in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:24 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top