U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 01:37 AM

3 posts, read 10,730 times

Advertisements

We are retired. We plan to move to CV, rent a house and get a feel for the area.
We love to fish and kayak.
I have been reading the forums and the local newspaper.
Is it safe to live in CV? Any changes since that last thread on CV?
Thanks!

Feel free to email me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 04:37 AM

75,651 posts, read 88,408,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowan50 View Post
We are retired. We plan to move to CV, rent a house and get a feel for the area.
Thanks!

Feel free to email me.
Have you visited the area? That would be the first thing I would recommend. Visit for 2 or 3 days, do some invcestigating on your own. It is a little different from other Cooper Communities but I don't think it is unsafe. No matter where we live, there will be some crime.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:17 PM

1,661 posts, read 4,609,453 times
Quote:
Thanks!

Feel free to email me.
Yes, it's safe. If you are coming from Iowa, you will find many others there from Iowa also.

It is certainly not a typical AR city. Totally the opposite. You can find a house in any price range, from well over $1mil on down. Pretty much the whole population is from up north.

Sharp county just went "wet", so you can buy beer and wine now, with liquor on the way. that's really the only change.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:39 PM

Many thanks!
Yes we plan to come in february visit, maybe rent a house for 6 months.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:05 PM

1,661 posts, read 4,609,453 times
Quote:
Many thanks!
Yes we plan to come in february visit, maybe rent a house for 6 months.

You're welcome.

There are plenty to rent, check with the local realtors.

...............and, plan on getting lost in there. Whoever designed that street layout was on seven kinds of peyote.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:27 PM

2 posts, read 5,544 times
Default Cherokee Village no longer a retirement community

The idea of Cherokee Village being a retirement community passed with its incorporation as a city. The percentage of retirees -v- younger family occupancy continues to shift. Retirees continue to either pass away, or leave the area for friendlier tax areas as rates continue to increase on state, county, and city rates. No longer is it the rare grandchild one meets at the pool, lake, of golf course. Today one is as likely to have a young family living next door as a senior. If you are looking for a retirement community I would suggest a search elsewhere would prove beneficial. If you are looking for an over taxed, under maintained (especially the roads), then Cherokee Village may be perfect for you.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honshu01 View Post
The idea of Cherokee Village being a retirement community passed with its incorporation as a city. The percentage of retirees -v- younger family occupancy continues to shift. Retirees continue to either pass away, or leave the area for friendlier tax areas as rates continue to increase on state, county, and city rates. No longer is it the rare grandchild one meets at the pool, lake, of golf course. Today one is as likely to have a young family living next door as a senior. If you are looking for a retirement community I would suggest a search elsewhere would prove beneficial. If you are looking for an over taxed, under maintained (especially the roads), then Cherokee Village may be perfect for you.
Can I ask where in the heck are you getting your extremely slanted views on CV or AR period. Yes, of course people are dying and yes, younger families are moving in: that is a plus, not a minus. but as for yo tax ideas: you are so off base, it isn't even funny. Are you aware AR has a property break for seniors? do you realize the food tax has been cut in 1/2 in the past few years and have you priced property taxes in AR and insurance prices in AR compared to other states? May I also add, what is wrong about a young family living near any of us. Without younger people and families all areas eventually die. You obviously have an agenda and a personal concern about CV, I happen to think the other 2 Cooper planned communities are better, but I also think you are totally off base about this.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:53 AM

Cherokee Village is a nice place to retire. We rented a house there for a few months. There are many houses, in a wide price range. There are many social activities. I agree the other 2 Cooper communities are better. Still Cherokee Village is a cool place. Reasonable lakefront houses and lots.
Arkansas has very cheap taxes plus many tax breaks for seniors.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:16 AM

620 posts, read 1,002,419 times
Why do so many northerners move south? I don't know if they realize they are ruining the southern culture of certain areas. It's happening all over the state of Arkansas, and it saddens me!!!

Old 06-29-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
Why do so many northerners move south? I don't know if they realize they are ruining the southern culture of certain areas. It's happening all over the state of Arkansas, and it saddens me!!!
Frist of all you do not really live in or really know that much about the south.. and unless you live in AR you have no clue if the people from the upper Midwest are ruining it or not. You can't take what a few of your teen age and young 20s friends have to say and has it occurred to you people move for many reasons. Most of them are moving the northern parts of AR because they want to escape the long winters, they want a taste of the south and they have no intentions of changing the state. Very few are moving further south than Ft Smith, so where do you get the idea they are moving all over the state?

You know one posting you want us to believe everyplace in AR is totally southern with no northern influence, and then you tell us the northerners are ruining our state? which is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas