Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2013, 10:03 AM

124 posts, read 372,317 times

Advertisements

So I'm moving to Hot Springs later this year (May/June ish) and I was wondering what it's like, is it big? conservative? liberal? are there lots of businesses or is it more rural? What will the weather be like in May/June? Are there a lot of churches?

I don't particularly care since I'm moving there anyway as a friend needs my help, but I want to know sort of what to expect and since my friend is going through a crisis, I don't really want to bother her with these questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 06:47 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,377,582 times
It's a retirement community with more out-of-staters than locals. Churches of about every type. Thoroughbred horse racing in season and gambling year long. Lots of lakes and hiking trails. I have never lived there but have worked there and find most people will treat you as you treat them. Liberal or Conservative - depends on who you talk to. Population 35-40,000, in the city limits, but additional residential and commercial area is spread out in all directions.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:41 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Hot Springs is a retirement community? Maybe the Village is, but Hot Springs is a tourist town. Lots of diversity, great places to eat. Weather in May-June will be warm with thunderstorms and severe weather. July August it's gonna be HOT and very humid. Traffic can get a bit crazy especially when Oaklawn is open. There's plenty to do and if you want "the big city" Little Rock is an hour drive away.

Hot Springs, Arkansas

Hot Springs, Arkansas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-12-2013, 10:34 AM

2,457 posts, read 7,377,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Hot Springs is a retirement community? Maybe the Village is, but Hot Springs is a tourist town. Lots of diversity, great places to eat. Weather in May-June will be warm with thunderstorms and severe weather. July August it's gonna be HOT and very humid. Traffic can get a bit crazy especially when Oaklawn is open. There's plenty to do and if you want "the big city" Little Rock is an hour drive away.

Hot Springs, Arkansas

Hot Springs, Arkansas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Retirement community? Not as HSV, but take a census of the homes and condos around Lake Hamilton and see how many are "natives".

Old 02-12-2013, 10:58 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,147,094 times
Hot Springs is a resort community. HSV a retirement community. It more liberal in HS and more conservative in HSV. But that's to be expected. HS is a bit of an art community and although there are some very neo cons there, there are a lot of liberals also. Its a great place and you don't have to live in the down town historic district and I would not. Its a great place to go see a band at Luckys or The big chill ect. but I would not live there. The most desirable place to live is around Lake Hamilton. The second is either Diamond head or Lake Catherin. I think HSV can be a toss up for second. Its near impossible to find property that is larger than a lot in HSV. I know there are a few pieces but its not easy to find. Lake Hamilton has a lot of diversity, you can live near LH in some very upper income subs and there are very moderate off lake property's. It has something for everyone.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:18 AM

288 posts, read 1,079,085 times
<< Its near impossible to find property that is larger than a lot in HSV>>

There are some 5+ acre lots within HSV, and it is pretty easy to find 2 or 3 lots together. There are no restrictions on building across multiple lots, it is done all the time.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:41 AM

87 posts, read 139,127 times
Hot Springs is beautiful.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:19 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,398,417 times
hot springs has a lot of "weekenders" that own condos and lake homes, also. these people are from all over arkansas and some from neighboring states. so, a lot of the lake condos are mostly empty during the week and mostly full on the weekends, especially holidays.

it has a lot of the big town options without some of their problems. you can go to walmart or kroger in the middle of the night with no problems.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:38 PM

651 posts, read 705,008 times
Its a great place. I love the horse racing, hills, near to LR, My fav. place to eat, Angles in the old bank across from BOA on Central in the historic dist. I also love the Baru Hase. The Itinerant locals play there often and are a hoot. The ST pattys day parade is a good time also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas