U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-02-2013, 10:21 AM
 
11,043 posts, read 8,674,640 times
Reputation: 17970

Advertisements

I'll be in Hot Springs the first two weeks in April.
Any word yet on what National Park services/places might be closed due to sequester?
Bathhouse Row, Gulpha Gorge, Tower Mountain, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-02-2013, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
75,660 posts, read 88,408,855 times
Reputation: 46498
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I'll be in Hot Springs the first two weeks in April.
Any word yet on what National Park services/places might be closed due to sequester?
Bathhouse Row, Gulpha Gorge, Tower Mountain, etc?
I haven't heard a word and our channel 5 last night did run the typical scare story about how AR would be affected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2013, 11:33 AM
 
11,043 posts, read 8,674,640 times
Reputation: 17970
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I haven't heard a word and our channel 5 last night did run the typical scare story about how AR would be affected.
We were in Hot Springs the day before the 2011 11th hour deal that averted a federal govt. shutdown, and workers were delivering barriers to the sites I listed above and more, to be used to block entrances to them if a deal wasn't reached. Any place requiring mowing, cleaning, trash-pickup, etc. is susceptible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2013, 05:38 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
75,660 posts, read 88,408,855 times
Reputation: 46498
this is true but at this point no one is talking about a shut down..I do understand your concerns, my husband was working in DC in the 80s when the government did shut down..Luckily for us, he was considered an esentual employee and was not affected, plus, like happens periodically the shut down lasted about a day..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2013, 07:53 AM
 
11,043 posts, read 8,674,640 times
Reputation: 17970
Just got word that it looks like there won't be a major impact: Visitor Center summer hours will be reduced, temporary seasonal spring and summer jobs will be eliminated, some or all guided tours will be eliminated, and maintenance will be reduced on hiking trails resulting in some closings.
That's livable for tourists - much less so for locals depending upon the jobs, of course, but that's a topic for another forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2013, 10:03 AM
 
797 posts, read 1,173,507 times
Reputation: 987
Do some people actually live in Hot Springs National Park?

There is a guy that used to be from MN that has his place of residence listed as-----Hot Springs National Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2013, 01:08 PM
 
11,043 posts, read 8,674,640 times
Reputation: 17970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
Do some people actually live in Hot Springs National Park?

There is a guy that used to be from MN that has his place of residence listed as-----Hot Springs National Park.

Someone else may come along and correct me but here's my understanding.
The U.S. Post Office's official designation is Hot Springs National Park, because the original post office was and still is on National Park land. So people who live in the city of Hot Springs can properly use that as their mailing and official address.
However there are no residences within the National Park boundary.

The National Park, National Forest, and city boundaries wander and abut each other to an extent that it's difficult to know when you leave one and enter the other, especially on the north and west side of the city.

I'm under the impression that a few people do live on National Forest (not National Park) land within the city, but they're grandfathered in. I've seen occupied houses in the north part of town that *appear* to be within the National Forest. Could be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2013, 07:45 PM
 
Location: Little Rock AR USA
2,457 posts, read 6,523,265 times
Reputation: 1887
The Park Super tried to stop the city of Hot Springs from using "National Park" as part of their address, even got the "Big Dog" from D.C. to come down and use his pressure, but he said 'work it out'. Nothing changed. The Super said that Hot Springs National Park is a National Park inside of the city of Hot Springs so they are two different communities and and the city should not use 'National Park' because that would imply that someone living on West Grand Avenue lived in the National Park.

Both sides had good arguments but the prevailing opinion was that it had been Hot Springs National Park Arkansas 'forever' and they resented the 'Jane come lately' Super coming in trying to change the old tradition.

And biscuitmom, those homes within tha Ouachita National Forest are actually private land. In many places on the ONF are pockets of private land which contain homes and even farms. As the ONF was acquiring property many years ago, for some reason they missed those pockets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2013, 05:05 PM
 
340 posts, read 395,437 times
Reputation: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Someone else may come along and correct me but here's my understanding.
The U.S. Post Office's official designation is Hot Springs National Park, because the original post office was and still is on National Park land. So people who live in the city of Hot Springs can properly use that as their mailing and official address.
However there are no residences within the National Park boundary.

The National Park, National Forest, and city boundaries wander and abut each other to an extent that it's difficult to know when you leave one and enter the other, especially on the north and west side of the city.

I'm under the impression that a few people do live on National Forest (not National Park) land within the city, but they're grandfathered in. I've seen occupied houses in the north part of town that *appear* to be within the National Forest. Could be wrong.
Hot Springs is inside the park. Its the only place where there is a town inside a national park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:44 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top