U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 03:53 PM

1,661 posts, read 4,606,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post

So, are there any downsides to "covenant governed" communties?
I can only comment on ones I am familiar with, but they had a ton of rules. You had maybe 3 types of mailboxes you could put up, two types of fence, driveways concrete only, etc. etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 09:12 AM

4,817 posts, read 7,092,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguymn View Post
It was a lot of fun for a guy 19,20,and 21
Took care of the liquor inventory for the private club.
If the bartender called in sick I was the bartender.

I see, well, it doesn't sound like a very good retirement job after all....especially for a man who doesn't drink. I thought maybe it had something to do with housing, like maybe a condo complex or something.

Still, it's a beautiful place, and if my husband were ready to retire from his teaching job now and had a job prospect in the area, I would definitely be considering that cute little $79,000 A-frame on Dogwood Drive!

Old 03-12-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
I can only comment on ones I am familiar with, but they had a ton of rules. You had maybe 3 types of mailboxes you could put up, two types of fence, driveways concrete only, etc. etc.
Hmmmm....well, in some cases I could see where that could be a good thing....here in my town, you can have a really nice place in one spot and right next door can be a dump.

We bought our house about 10 years ago and the neighbors were fairly neat and clean, although they did take a motor out of a truck once and leave it hanging from a tree limb for a while. But then they cleaned everything up and put siding, new windows, and a new roof on the house and kept everything very neat.

THEN they sold the house and the idiots who bought it have completely trashed it....porch and carport constantly trashed up (and, of course, the requisite nasty couch on the porch), kids tore up the perfectly nice shed in the back yard (which is beside my front yard) and it now lies in a heap, and besides all that (and believe me, there is more), an endless stream of barking dogs, several of whom have died from neglect (starvation and mange). (And yes, all animal lovers, I reported it.....the mangy dog was taken away and put down because I did.)

Wow....didn't mean to start foaming at the mouth there. But I said all that to say this....I think I may be at the point in my life where I might welcome some neighborhood rules. LOL

Old 03-12-2013, 03:24 PM

1,661 posts, read 4,606,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
But I said all that to say this....I think I may be at the point in my life where I might welcome some neighborhood rules. LOL
I hear ya. Nobody wants to be in the situation you describe, but I've seen the rules get out of control in a few places, and there's always people around that appoint themselves the covenant police and call on every infraction they see.

You put your garbage can out before 7:00 A.M.???

Old 03-13-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
You put your garbage can out before 7:00 A.M.???
We put ours out the night before, as they usually come very, very early in the morning hours. We have those huge cans provided by the garbage company that our town uses....very thick, sturdy plastic with lids, so that dogs and cats can't get in them (that is, if people don't pile the garbage so high in them that the lid stays ajar). *sigh*

I wouldn't mind a town ordinance requiring people to take their garbage cans back to their houses at some point in the week.

I also wouldn't mind one that would enlighten people to the fact that their front porch is not the place for their garbage can.

I'm beginning to see how these "covenant-governed communities" came to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas